1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Downloading Non-Android Market Software

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tym2ply, May 17, 2011.

1. tym2ply

tym2ply Lurker
    None

May 17, 2011
    Commercial Insurance Broker
    Hello, I am new to the forum and have my first Android phone - which I love, for the most part.

On two occassions I have attempted to download apps outside of the Android Market - once from Amazon; and most recently software to read downloads from my public library account.

Both times, I get a message that the phone is secured from downloading non Android Market apps. I've checked all my settings and I guess I'm blind because I can't figure out how to reconfigure the settings to allow the downloads. Help!!! :thinking:

Running Firmware 2.2

Advertisement

2. devildog290

devildog290 Lurker
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    Environmental Consultant
    PA
    That's simple, because you can't. At&t only recently changed its standpoint on non market apps. Hopefully soon there will be an update reversing this. Until then I recommended sideload wonder machine to install non market apps. Do a search on the forum to find the download and instructions

3. tym2ply

tym2ply Lurker
    None

May 17, 2011
    Commercial Insurance Broker
    Thank you DevilDog, I was afraid of that. I will seach the forum as suggested for sideload apps.

4. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    I would revise that to read "I recommend rooting and enabling non market apps". Takes about 45 seconds and gives more opportunities to install apps that are not compatible with unrooted devices..."keep the lights on" is a good example

5. devildog290

devildog290 Lurker
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    Environmental Consultant
    PA
    I don't like pushing root on new users, that is a decision they need to come to themselves.

6. NJR

NJR Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    Policy changed this week. Update is being silently pushed. Only problem is you won't be able to tell on the Captivate unless you try and download something. There will be no checkbox. Also only available on Froyo 2.2 enabled devices