• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downloading physical mp3 file from Google Play?

reshp1

Lurker
Jul 27, 2012
After purchasing music from google play, is there a way to download the physical file directly to your phone from the play app? I'm not interested in streaming from the cloud or caching. Specifically, I bought an mp3 of a ringtone and need the actual file so I can set it as a ringtone (google play music app doesn't have the "set as" option and the standard music player doesn't see google play songs). I know you can use a computer or even the phone browser to download it via the play website, but there should be a way to do this within the app right?

I'm having the same issue, and when i use the google music help pages it tells me to look for things that don't exist. It says to touch the menu button and then touch "make available offline", but that isn't even an option listed. Starting at the same screen they do, I get a totally different menu than what they have displayed on the help page. All i want to do is download directly to my phone via the app. Downloading to PC and then transferring to my phone is not an option(my home PC is dead and my work PC has it blocked). This app is 100% useless to me if i can't download right to the phone. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue, and when i use the google music help pages it tells me to look for things that don't exist. It says to touch the menu button and then touch "make available offline", but that isn't even an option listed. Starting at the same screen they do, I get a totally different menu than what they have displayed on the help page. All i want to do is download directly to my phone via the app. Downloading to PC and then transferring to my phone is not an option(my home PC is dead and my work PC has it blocked). This app is 100% useless to me if i can't download right to the phone. Any help would be appreciated.
The only real way is through a PC. However, if your desperate you could always go through the cached files on your phone and find the specific mp3. However they aren't labeled so you need to go through them until you find the right one.

Upvote 0
To find the files on your phone, after you download them to your phone, go to: Internal Storage> android> data> com.google.android.music> cache> music. (Make sure you have a good file app.) Once there, you will see a bunch of number as the name for each MP3. (As mentioned, they are not labeled.) You can copy the MP3's to your music folder and rename them to the tracks they are. If you use an app like PowerAmp Pro, you can edit the tags of those songs and add album and artist info.

Its a lot of work, but worth it once its done. Also, make sure to de-select the music for offline use after your done moving the MP3's. If not, it will re-sync every song that you have selected to make available for offline use. (Using up more space on your phone and having dup. copies of each.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones