1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Downside to buying from Amazon?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CoreyV, Jan 20, 2013.

1. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    Thinking about getting an N2 off contract (for AT&T). The cheapest I'm finding is $650 either directly from AT&T or from Amazon. I can save $50 in sales tax buying from Amazon, and from what I see Amazon has a better return policy (30 days, can't find mention of a restocking fee vs AT&t's 14 days and something like a $25 restocking).

I've always bought my other phones in person at BB or the AT&T store. So what downside am I missing buying from Amazon instead?

Advertisement

2. ceva321

ceva321 Android Enthusiast
    None

Amazon has some of the best deals on cell phones. Buy.com has excellent deals as well.

The deals are legit unless you're buying from a 3rd party "Amazon Marketplace" vendor, in which case the deals are only *probably* legit.

My observation is that most people who have a problem with Amazon's cell phones simply neglected to read and understand the deal. Read the instructions and fine print carefully in any rebate forms and in particular make note of the deadlines, the minimum service-price and the duration of the contract necessary to qualify for a rebate.

And look for a link to "Activation Information" somewhere on the phone's description-page. It's a good idea to know in advance what steps you'll need to take to activate the phone when it arrives

When you activate a new phone, you do it with the cellular provider, not with Amazon. Usually, it's done with a simple phone call to an activation-line. While you are speaking to the rep, ask to keep your old phone number.

Check the reviews of that particular phone and see if people are going through a lot of returns

3. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    This would be off contract and no rebates - so none of the upgrade or new line potholes that some might encounter.

4. AdamdangA

AdamdangA Member
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Male
    Course Maintenance Instructional Designer at SNHU
    New Hampshire
    The only issue with phones from Amazon especially if they come from third party sellers, the phone may come with a random carrier's branding on it. This has happened to me in the past. I use AT&T and got a phone with T-mobile branding. Luckily with the exception of verizon the branding is on the back and not visible if you use a case.

5. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    Am I missing something on whether it's coming from a 3rd party seller or not? When I look at international/unlocked versions, I see that the phone says it's shipped and sold from a 3rd party. But if I select the one for AT&T, there's no mention of a seller - so I assume it's sold and fulfilled from Amazon???

6. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Probably. Amazon, like best buy, are licensed retailers for us carrier phones, so they have their own supply. Unlocked international phones have to be imported because they're not normally sold her, so It's a third party selling them.