• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DPI in photos taken / printing pictures...

evan938

Jul 20, 2010
tried searching, but i think "DPI" is too short of a term for the system to search...

anyone know what the DPI is when a picture is taken? trying to find out how big of a picture i can get developed/printed without having to try to get it edited, before it gets distorted/pixelated

taken with my phone and i believe its the largest setting, 1952x3264

TIA

DPI is "dots per inch". To get a good quality print image, you want to have at least 200 dpi, which is just the number of pixels divided by the size of the print. So for the Incredible resolution of 3264x2448 you should print no larger than about 12x16. You can generally get away with 100 dpi if you don't look too closely at the print, but I wouldn't try that with a phone camera. 300 DPI is the most common high-end resolution and would limit you to about 8x12 for best quality.

The DPI embedded in the photo by the camera doesn't really mean anything, since it doesn't know what size you intend to print.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones