• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dr.Evo's Battery Voodoo

I wasn't knocking your post, Dr. Evo. I was just saying that you lose screen off status data with the always on data turned off, losing live wallpaper awesomeness, screen brightness too low doesn't show off the vibrant screen, and the OC widget doesn't seem useful (I haven't tried it yet, so I can't really say this for sure).

Your methods will most definitely yield results though.

Also, you probably know me from PPCGeeks. :p

Upvote 0
No offense but I didn't do hardly ANY of this and can get 40 hours fairly easily with low-moderate usage. What you suggest cripples the phone when it is idle and forces one to jump through hoops everytime it comes in and out of idle and active use by the user. Forget that, what a pain! I don't change any of my settings, I just use my phone and enjoy it, dark or bright, wifi or not.. I'm not going to spend 20% of my phone time just dorking with the settings every time I want to use it. Sorry, but that's just me! :)

Upvote 0
I wasn't knocking your post, Dr. Evo. I was just saying that you lose screen off status data with the always on data turned off, losing live wallpaper awesomeness, screen brightness too low doesn't show off the vibrant screen, and the OC widget doesn't seem useful (I haven't tried it yet, so I can't really say this for sure).

Your methods will most definitely yield results though.

Also, you probably know me from PPCGeeks. :p

No worries... If you unplug the phone at 100% with no changes then turn the screen off and leave it off, it can last 2-3 or more days! Usage is a big factor.. I've been thinking of doing some profiling based on experience / usage needs & wants... [Edit: this reply was supposed to be for IPvFletch]

Oh well, you both can have it :)

Upvote 0
No worries... If you unplug the phone at 100% with no changes then turn the screen off and leave it off, it can last 2-3 or more days! Usage is a big factor.. I've been thinking of doing some profiling based on experience / usage needs & wants... [Edit: this reply was supposed to be for IPvFletch]

Oh well, you both can have it :)

Yes, there is obviously correlation of usage but I think most people are looking for a happy medium. I feel like I use my phone plenty and never feel like it is getting poor battery. But then again, this is all subjective. We also have the fact there are some bad batteries in fact some have exploded, and other phone defects are lumped in here too. We'll never really know but all we DO know is a) this phone makes you want to play with it A LOT and b) the battery is less than we're used to. :(

If anything, these companies churn out phones so quickly they could care less about fixing it and instead will focus on fixing new phones with bettery "more green" battery consumption, etc... It's time for some more innovation in this space, that's for sure!! :D

BTW, I think you're on to something with the 3G bit. Data over 3G seems like it sucks some major juice every time. Ditto with a long phone call, but maybe these are to be expected? Maybe not? *shrug* :(

Upvote 0
Yes, there is obviously correlation of usage but I think most people are looking for a happy medium. I feel like I use my phone plenty and never feel like it is getting poor battery. But then again, this is all subjective. We also have the fact there are some bad batteries in fact some have exploded, and other phone defects are lumped in here too. We'll never really know but all we DO know is a) this phone makes you want to play with it A LOT and b) the battery is less than we're used to. :(

If anything, these companies churn out phones so quickly they could care less about fixing it and instead will focus on fixing new phones with bettery "more green" battery consumption, etc... It's time for some more innovation in this space, that's for sure!! :D

BTW, I think you're on to something with the 3G bit. Data over 3G seems like it sucks some major juice every time. Ditto with a long phone call, but maybe these are to be expected? Maybe not? *shrug* :(

I agree completely. I'll have to take cover for saying this, but I think that's one thing Apple does right. They focus all of their R&D on one device and make it as perfect as possible as quickly as possible. Whereas HTC sells a million devices at once and is coming out with new ones before the old ones even hit the shelves. But that's okay.. I'm a tinkerer, expirimenter and I have no problem modding, fixing or breaking stuff. I'll take that freedom over the Steve Jobs dictatorship any day. :)

BTW I'm planning to do this for my next lengthy tip post:

Semi-scientific testing of performance of the battery based on the following "profiles" and the best settings for each profile:

- Gamers
- Web / social tools addicts
- Phone cally people
- Casual browsers, data users

If you or anyone have any suggestions on conducting these tests, or participating in them that would be awesome! Maybe I'll start a separate thread to discuss it..

Upvote 0
You should also do a factory reset battery test. True apples to apples to see what it gets w/out any tweaking or any other apps installed.

As for the Apple/Android, one can also argue Microsoft did that too - focused all their energy on a single OS and then it finally blew up in their face. I could see Apple doing the same thing here. Linux hasn't and that is why Android likely won't ever get this way. At least, I hope it doesn't. It's already got fragmentation issues but it seems like most have worked around them very easily already, esp. app-compatibility-wise.

Upvote 0
Thanks Dr. Evo!

I implemented all your "real-world, tried and true tested" ways of extending the battery life. And I managed to make (in my opinion) significant gains to my battery life which was already lasting me through the day.

I have not experienced any of the battery issues some seem to be having, but I'm always up for making a phone last even longer on a charge.

I didn't get into the voodoo, didn't feel it was necessary for me.

Thanks again for the tips.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones