• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Draeneg, it's time to regain control of your data privacy

TuxPhone

May 23, 2018
Hello

Have you ever wanted to see what happens in the dark side of network traffic issued from applications ?

I have developed an application for Android to monitor and analyse mobile network traffic. My main motivation is to get a detailed picture of the user-perceived quality of experience on mobile Internet (from the viewpoint of performance as well as data privacy). Draeneg is a mobile application to monitor the network traffic directly on your device without requiring any USB connection to a PC. It unveils the personal and network data used by your (other) applications. You can analyse in details the network traffic to see what's going on with your data: make sure that your applications are compliant with your privacy! Draeneg can also block DNS domains to protect you from unwanted or malicious content for a more secure and enhanced experience on Internet

You can have more details and install the application here [Draneg](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orange.labs.draeneg&hl=en)

I would like to collect your opinion and suggestion about such an application for protecting data privacy. Comments are welcome.
draeneg.gif

This is only the first version, work is in progress to propose advanced functionnalities in the next major update planned on January. And the iOS version is also in active development, to be released as soon as the Android version becomes stable.

Thanks for your consideration about my application.

NB : When everything works correctly on Android for decrypting the tls traffic (I'm working hard to find a simple and intuitive solution for endusers), I will open source code. I know, it is really important to provide trust for such an application to protect privacy. :)

I need people to test and report us bugs and suggestions to make Draeneg your application for your privacy protection. Please share the application to your social friendship.

Comments or bug report : use the contact page within Draeneg, or send me a private message on Reddit or Twitter @Eimji

Last edited:
It also collected user's data, where will they go?

Draeneg doesn't collect any data. Everything Draeneg does stays locally in your device.
@Billtunew, before saying this, I propose you to prove it. Nonsense.

If you don't trust our privacy rule, just block Internet access for Draeneg and you can still use the app !
We strongly believe in privacy and security by design.

Upvote 0
Draeneg doesn't collect any data. Everything Draeneg does stays locally in your device.
@Billtunew, before saying this, I propose you to prove it. Nonsense.

If you don't trust our privacy rule, just block Internet access for Draeneg and you can still use the app !
We strongly believe in privacy and security by design.

FYI your rather lengthy privacy policy is in French only. As I can't read French, I can't be sure if I trust and if it's safe to install your app or not. I do care about my data privacy, and that's why I always read and pay attention to privacy policys and license agreements.

Reactions: Billtunew
Upvote 0
FYI your rather lengthy privacy policy is in French only. As I can't read French, I can't be sure if I trust and if it's safe to install your app or not. I do care about my data privacy, and that's why I always read and pay attention to privacy policys and license agreements.

The application is translated in English and French. You should have the application in English by default.
Sorry for this. Could you tell me the list of languages enabled on your phone?

To see our privacy rule again, go to the 3rd tab Tools and click on the icon (!) on the top right corner.

Upvote 0
The application is translated in English and French. You should have the application in English by default.
Sorry for this. Could you tell me the list of languages enabled on your phone?

To see our privacy rule again, go to the 3rd tab Tools and click on the icon (!) on the top right corner.

My phone only has English and Chinese enabled, it's a Huawei Mate 10.

This is what I see when I tap on your app's Privacy Policy button in the Play Store. And it seems to be in French only.

Screenshot_20191224_170247_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

I'll never install and use any app, until I've had a chance to read and study the Privacy Policy, EULA, etc. because I do care about my data privacy. And I can't do this with your app, because I can't read French.

As you're promoting your app on an English language forum, I think you really should get this fixed ASAP, as user data privacy is frequently a concern.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My phone only has English and Chinese enabled, it's a Huawei Mate 10.

This is what I see when I tap on your app's Privacy Policy button in the Play Store. And it seems to be in French only.

View attachment 146444

I'll never install and use any app, until I've had a chance to read and study the Privacy Policy, EULA, etc. because I do care about my data privacy. And I can't do this with your app, because I can't read French.

As you're promoting your app on an English language forum, I think you really should get this fixed ASAP, as user data privacy is frequently a concern.

This is the general privacy rules of our company on Google Play. Each app has its own privacy rules. For Draeneg, it's simple: we collect anything, no data.

Upvote 0
This is the general privacy rules of our company on Google Play.

Is that Orange, the French telco? Well I can't read French anyway. Are you providing your company's services outside of France?

Each app has its own privacy rules. For Draeneg, it's simple: we collect anything, no data.

And it seems I need to install and actually run your company's app in order to read those privacy rules. Well to me that is NOT satisfactory, as I do like to control my data privacy, and I never install apps without first looking at their privacy rules, EULAs, etc.

You did state in your OP "I would like to collect your opinion and suggestion about such an application for protecting data privacy. Comments are welcome."

So there you go. there's my opinions and suggestions. :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Reactions: Billtunew
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones