1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Drenched My A500...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bangjr, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Bangjr

Bangjr Member
    None

May 4, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Need some help here. I "managed" to drench my tab. Yeah, I know - stoopid me. [​IMG] So what's done is done. Currently the tab's display in not working. I think I was able to power it up - white light on the power button but this stays on forever.

I'm going to return the tab. So here's the question - how would I go about doing a factory reset without actually logging in to the tab?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Turning it on after getting it wet, not such a hot idea. When I have gotten phones wet I usually wait about 48hrs before attempting to turn it on. Also i stick the item in a bag of rice during that time to absorb as much moisture as possible. But again what's done is done. Without having a display to see what menu you are going into will prevent you from being able to do the factory reset. You might be able to plug it into a computer and going into the storage and clear that out.

3. tedpc01

tedpc01 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    North Carolina
    Anytime you accidentally dunk an electronic device in the sink or whatever, you need to take certain steps. In this case, remove your MicroSD card, if you have one. If you can get the back cover off, that would be good and if you can unplug the battery while you are there, so much the better. The next step would be to leave the tablet partially disassembled for 24 hours. The next day, reassemble it and turn it on. You should (hopefully) have a working tablet then!

4. andy d

andy d Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2009
    UK
    Why do you want to do a factory reset?.

5. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX

He said he is going to return it. Although if he doesn't have a warranty that covers this kind of damage then that means he is going to try and lie to the store about what is wrong with it to get them to swap it for a new one.

6. tedpc01

None

Jul 29, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    North Carolina
    Regarding my post, I really do know what I'm talking about. I used to be a Compaq Computers Engineer. Just disconnect what you can and leave it for 24 hrs. It should work!

7. tedpc01

None

Jul 29, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    North Carolina
    Yes, I'm sure returning it's not an option. Just take the cover off and remove the battery if he can and let it sit for 24hrs and that should do it. If it doesn't, well you know what that indicates....

8. akadrew

akadrew Lurker
    None

May 15, 2011
    Minnesota
    My son went wading in the lake with his phone, after 48 hours in a bowl of white rice every thing seems to be okay.

9. Bangjr

Bangjr Member
    None

May 4, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Hello and thanks to everyone who'd responded.

I left the tab with some silicon gelica thing in a bag in a hot room for two days. Powered up the tab, looked like it was going to work - e.g. acer logo came up, as well as the android logo. I was feeling optimistic that the tab may just be fine. But alas, the LCD just won't work. I got a screen that's constantly flickering, snow, etc. It sure looked like the TV from the movie Poltergeist. lol!!

At least I can boot this sucker up. Now to see if the HDMI port is working or not. If it does, then I can hook it up to my TV, plug in a USB hub for a mouse and keyboard...then I should be able to do a factory reset to clear my personal data. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work. Worse case, my Win 7 PC should see the tab and maybe I can "format" that thing from there.

Don't worry, I am NOT returning this to any retailer...this unit was not "store bought"...it's an engineering sample that was on loan to me... ;-)