• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Drenched My A500...

Need some help here. I "managed" to drench my tab. Yeah, I know - stoopid me.
frown.gif
So what's done is done. Currently the tab's display in not working. I think I was able to power it up - white light on the power button but this stays on forever.

I'm going to return the tab. So here's the question - how would I go about doing a factory reset without actually logging in to the tab?

Thanks in advance!

Turning it on after getting it wet, not such a hot idea. When I have gotten phones wet I usually wait about 48hrs before attempting to turn it on. Also i stick the item in a bag of rice during that time to absorb as much moisture as possible. But again what's done is done. Without having a display to see what menu you are going into will prevent you from being able to do the factory reset. You might be able to plug it into a computer and going into the storage and clear that out.

Upvote 0
Anytime you accidentally dunk an electronic device in the sink or whatever, you need to take certain steps. In this case, remove your MicroSD card, if you have one. If you can get the back cover off, that would be good and if you can unplug the battery while you are there, so much the better. The next step would be to leave the tablet partially disassembled for 24 hours. The next day, reassemble it and turn it on. You should (hopefully) have a working tablet then!

Upvote 0
Hello and thanks to everyone who'd responded.

I left the tab with some silicon gelica thing in a bag in a hot room for two days. Powered up the tab, looked like it was going to work - e.g. acer logo came up, as well as the android logo. I was feeling optimistic that the tab may just be fine. But alas, the LCD just won't work. I got a screen that's constantly flickering, snow, etc. It sure looked like the TV from the movie Poltergeist. lol!!

At least I can boot this sucker up. Now to see if the HDMI port is working or not. If it does, then I can hook it up to my TV, plug in a USB hub for a mouse and keyboard...then I should be able to do a factory reset to clear my personal data. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work. Worse case, my Win 7 PC should see the tab and maybe I can "format" that thing from there.

Don't worry, I am NOT returning this to any retailer...this unit was not "store bought"...it's an engineering sample that was on loan to me... ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones