• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Drive to legitamatize unlocking phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

DimBulb

Android Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2012
Minnesota
I've just received a "political" e-mail that I'd normally find worthy of my endorsement and then forget about. But, it does address the thing we are all very much interested in here, unlocking, and freeing up a phone's potential, after buying the damn thing.

I'm fortunate here in Minnesota to have an ACTUAL comedian, as my elected official. And as it turns out, BEING a comedian, better prepares you to make a difference, (as apposed to ending up AS a joke after your elected).

So here's a petition to legalize, what were going to do ANYWAY.

Al Franken - U.S. Senator, Minnesota | WE WANT THE FREEDOM TO UNLOCK OUR MOBILE PHONES!

Unlocking phones is legal... there are just restrictions set by companies. You can do whatever you want with a n old boost phone except activate it on sprint or virgin or verizon because they want you to buy phones from them. The only thing that is illegal is changing serial numbers to bypass the companies rules which they cant legalize

Upvote 0
Well, the intent is made in the petition to be not breaking the law, if (when a contract is finished), take your phone to another carrier. A while back, there was coverage in the news, concerning the illegality involved in unlocking phones, and that may have been a PROPOSED restriction to any freedom now in place.
I'm sharing the link,since,a): I like the guy, and b): it's relevant to this forum.

whether there is a threat in other state's, or not, I can't say. The freedom that petition is talking about, is what we here on this site, take as ours anyway.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones