1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support driver not digitally signed?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stargirl29, Jan 12, 2013.

1. stargirl29

stargirl29 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2012
    i'm trying to add my nexus 7 as a letter when i attach it to my laptop. i've already got it st as a usb device but i want my laptop to see it as a letter device. i've gone to 'add hardware' but keep getting the message that the driver isn't digitally signed. not sure what that means.

Advertisement

2. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    Technology Consultant Software + Hardware engineer
    Newport RI
    You mean as a mapped drive ... Digital signed means a driver that is certified by Microsoft as being safe to use so that it won't crash windows basically. Which is a joke because Windows crashes all by itself! I don't know if mapping it as a drive letter is possible or a good idea. Normally you would just access it as a device on the left side of the Windows Explorer.

3. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Windows crashes still? Pretty sure that's been fixed mostly since 2000.

But no you can't mount it as a drive letter, because the Nexus 7 can't be mounted as a drive (it doesn't have a compatible filesystem). It's set up as an MTP device. Though I don't know why it's giving you that error. Even on my Windows 8 systems, my Nexus 7 was recognized immediately. And they are VERY stingy on using signed drivers.

4. stargirl29

None

Dec 3, 2012
    ok thanks. that sucks. i was trying to use recuva software to undelete a file but it couldn't see the nexus as a drive even though the computer can see it as a usb. i still love my nexus but some of it's limitations are irritating.

5. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    Technology Consultant Software + Hardware engineer
    Newport RI
    Be interesting to try some disk cloning software to see if it recognizes the N7 as a block addressable device. Otherwise maybe a memory app to access flash directly but I has no idea how the file system is structured on an Android device. There is an undelete app in the store but for rooted droids

6. stargirl29

None

Dec 3, 2012
    yea mine's not rooted

7. erisuser1

erisuser1 Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    stargirl,

+1 for Demache's response.

Even without the driver issues - which are a problem specific your computer BTW - the MTP interface presented by either the 4.1.x or 4.2.x OS revs of the N7 leaves very much to be desired even when it is working. And when it is 100% working, it still does not allow you to operate on it as if it were a hard drive (eg filesystem formatting or file recovery operations) - it "attaches" in windows explorer not like a drive, but more like a camera. (You don't even use the "safely remove hardware" facility any longer.)

I'm guessing that the reason you are getting the unsigned driver issue is because you previously installed an unsigned driver for a different/unrelated USB device that also has a match (in its' installation .inf file) to the PID/VID USB device ID that the MTP facility claims on the USB bus.

The "cure" for this - if you want to avoid unsigned drivers at all costs - is to use your windows device manager to walk through all of your installed USB drivers and try to locate the driver which is claiming the same hardware USB identifiers that the N7 uses. You have to put the device manager into a mode where it displays all the devices AND you also need to set an environment variable to do this hidden/not attached trick. (Google is your friend.) I won't lie - doing this is tedious business.

From there, walk through all candidate devices listed & figure out which one is using unsigned .dlls ... and then uninstall it. Then, replug your Nexus 7 and do a driver install from the internet the usual way.

NOTE: while unsigned drivers are pretty uncommon, you ought to be pretty sure you know what the driver you are going to uninstall actually does. I am NOT recommending here that you go through and uninstall every unsigned driver!

if you want to avoid all this but still want to have a means of doing backups of your internal SD drive, you can use an app which understands network file shares (Windows/Samba) such as ES File Manager & copy things across your home network to backup storage.

As of right now (4.2.1), the only thing the MTP file system interface is good for is read only PARTIAL backups (it won't show you all files and you generally need to reboot the Nexus 7 in order for the MTP facility to show you any newly modified files since the last time you attached the N7 in MTP mode - ugh).

eu1

PS hi demache.

8. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yeah, the bad thing about it being MTP only is that you don't have direct access to the file system through your PC. Its more like your connecting to an FTP server than anything, so all you can do is simply send and receive files off it, maybe do some basic file operations. So if you accidentally delete something, you're screwed.

And ello erisuser1.

9. stargirl29

None

Dec 3, 2012
    i'm already at peace with my deleted file & moved on. that sounds like way too much work. as i mentioned in the other thread i've installed the dumpster app which is really useful if you accidentally delete a file to get it back. wont help this file but for the future when i accidentally click too quick.

10. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hey they that's pretty good thinking. At least now your prepared if it happens again. :thumb: