1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Drivers and the OS

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Android Question

I have a question about Android drivers and running newer versions of the OS on old hardware.

I am novice to understanding software and code, but I know the basics of how an operating system works and how hardware devices communicate to software, libraries and such. My question is how does Android handle running new code and libraries on older chipsets and drivers? Is the reason many phones and devices get left behind prematurely, because the newest itteration of OS has new APIS and such not compatible with old hardware?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Usually the reason is just manufacturers refuse to pay someone to keep on testing software for the new phones and to host the servers where you update from. The more phones they keep on supporting, the more firmware updates they need to keep online.

This can be seen in more popular devices. For example, the Note 2 has unofficial updates made by third parties, all the way up to Marshmallow. But Samsung stopped supporting it with official firmware at Jellybean, a year ago.

psionandy and mikedt like this.
  3. Jackman33

Jackman33 Newbie

Can a device using an older OS be upgraded to a more current OS?

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Yes, a lot of the time this is done unofficially (as Chanchan pointed out).

I had an old Desire HD, the last official update for that was Android 2.3, I had a 4.1.1 custom ROM on there.

Velar and psionandy like this.
  5. Jackman33

Jackman33 Newbie

I am new to Android, so it sounds like you can't update at your desire. This Tab I have has 4.4.2 Jellybean and I just wait for it to upgraded to 5.0?

Thanks

6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

What tab do you own? If the manufacturer hasn't officially updated, it all depends on whether an independent developer had made an updated version for your device.

7. Jackman33

Jackman33 Newbie

Samsung SM-T230....

8. Velar

Velar Lurker

I need the latest OS for my sm -t 230

9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Have a look at Sammobile.com for official firmware. That will be the latest that's been released for that model.

If you want to root and install custom (unofficial) software then I'd start by looking here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-4/development. However at a quick glance I see no sign that anyone has made anything newer than Android 7 for this device, and not owning one I cannot tell you which ROMs work well and which don't - you'll have to look at what people say in the different ROM threads there. There is a thread there with advice on rooting, but I can't give any more advice than to suggest looking at this and doing a lot of reading and making sure you understand what you are doing before you actually try to do anything.