1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Droid 1 audio jack - output only?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LZeitgeist, Mar 9, 2011.

1. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Member
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    I would like to hook up a separate MP3 player and my Droid simultaneously with a stereo 'Y' cable to the aux input on my car stereo, but do I need to prevent the signal coming out of the MP3 player from also being input to the Droid's audio jack?

Advertisement

2. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    FL
    AFAIK you won't have an issue.

3. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Member
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    I appreciate that, but I'm hoping for a more technical confirmation or denial with supporting facts before I just decide to give it a whirl and mess something up.

4. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 14, 2010
    I thought that the headphone jack was output only not output and input

5. NiceGuysFinishLast

None

Dec 11, 2010
    FL

Seriously? You can't hurt your phone by putting an audio signal into the headphone jack. At the very worst, the droid MIGHT somehow interpret audio input as clicks from keys on a headset that supports next/last/volume functions... Since you would only have an input on that line from your other MP3 player, presumably you wouldn't simultaneously be playing audio on the droid, so you won't have any issues.... Technical enough? Sheesh.

6. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Member
    None

Mar 10, 2010

Yes, seriously. Why the tone?

It's electronics. Either it's not a problem, or it gets screwed up. There's rarely middle ground. So forgive me if I'd prefer to go on something more than an opinion or a guess before I potentially damage my phone.

And yes, if I'm listening to music and the GPS Nav vocalizes directions, there *will* be simultaneous audio.

If it's that hairy an issue, then I'll go ask the same question on an A/V electronics forum instead. So sorry I wasted your time forcing you to read my post and type a reply.

7. NiceGuysFinishLast

None

Dec 11, 2010
    FL

GPS nav doesn't utilize headphone based commands. Only the stock (and possibly some aftermarket) music player can recognize them. So that's not an issue.

As for my tone, well, it might have been a bit off, it was early, but I gave you your answer, and you discounted it. My answer is correct, my explanation was not.

8. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Member
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    Actually, you offered yet another opinion without supporting technical facts. That is why I discounted it. If you actually had facts and technical knowledge, you would have provided them instead of reacting as though I was stupid for even asking the question.

I also wasn't concerned about Nav reacting to input voice commands; I was concerned about inputting signal to an output and causing problems or damage.

Anyway, you were wrong with your opinion, so it was wise of me to recognize it as such and not follow it. Here is a technical, factual answer from an audio/video forum, where I apparently should have gone in the first place.

9. NiceGuysFinishLast

None

Dec 11, 2010
    FL

You asked if it would cause problems. That's not a problem. It wont hurt your phone. That's what you asked, that's what I answered. I figured you already knew you wouldn't get optimal signal quality. That's what I get for assuming.

Sorry for being a douche, I post too early in the morning sometimes.

10. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 14, 2010
    Nice guy you were not being a douche...the OP was just being rude in the way he was responding to peoples posts....