• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid 2.1 OTA vs. Bugless Beast: Need help choosing?

as far as your headphones bug, i have no clue sorry. Yes you will get the navigation and home in 2.1 ROMs and bugless beast(which is a 2.0.1 rom modified to add all the 2.1 features and is more stable than 2.1 roms)
most rooted roms will have all the features of stock 2.0.1 plus much more, but i wouldnt go straight into a 2.1 rom if i were you they are all pretty buggy
Thanks. It sounds like it is at least worth giving BB a shot.

Upvote 0
Personally I never really cared when 2.1 would be pushed. Aside from the extra home screens by default I really didn't care much about the rest. I tried many home replacements and they all had bugs, so I figured I'd wait.. then the rumors came that it was missing in 2.1 still. So that is when I decided to root.

After installing Beast I love my phone even more.. it is so smooth and I got my 5 screens without issues. The wireless tether is awesome too.. having a wifi hotspot where ever I go is great. Not to mention having wifi for my laptop in my car while driving that never drops (unless I lose cell signal of course).. this is more of a plus for my passengers though.

I was a bit worried about bricking my phone, but it was so painless. I didn't do the Sholes updater.. I grabbed the update.zip and did everything manually and it was still a breeze. Grabbed the Beauty rom, but wanted OC, so switched to Beast.. haven't looked back since.

That said.. if and when 2.1 comes out and gets rooted.. I'd gladly switch to a rockin 2.1 rom that is stable.

Upvote 0
I pretty much think that any benefit that 2.1 has over the roms will get chopped up and worked into the roms within days. The community devs will always be faster and more innovative than VZW and Moto, because they don't need to release products with non-existent failure rates. We take risks with potential unreliability that they, a company, could not sell. And, in return, we get pure awesomness.

Upvote 0
Bugless Beast has voice recognition in all text fields? If that is the case I will have to take a look at it.

I've rooted and I am running Sholes 2.0.3 and quite frankly I am disappointed. It seems to lag quite a bit and it just felt slower than stock until I overclocked. Now it heats up and drains my battery if I do anything too serious. If it wasn't for the tethering, I would unroot. I may try Bugless Beast and see if it is any better.

I think their are 2 solid arguments for rooting. Tethering and overclocking. These are 2 features that will never be offered stock. In the case of tethering it will be offered but with a pretty ridiculous additional fee. Motorola will never support overclocking though.

Theoretically, if you weren't impressed with the roms but wanted tether and OC couldn't you have both of those with a rooted version of the stock OS? Seems drastic to unroot because you dont like a rom. I'll admit that I find Sholes to be buggier and clunkier than I had hoped for, but the positives outweigh the negatives, particularly the OC. now i'm off to try bb and compare...

Upvote 0
I've been watching the rooting scene for awhile now, and am looking to dive in. However, after looking at the tutorial linked here it seems the restore image you create with nandroid would still be rooted and still have 99.2b. Is there a way to do a complete recovery back to factory? Because if I ever went to the verizon store for a repair i feel they would tell me my warrenty is void.

Upvote 0
I've been watching the rooting scene for awhile now, and am looking to dive in. However, after looking at the tutorial linked here it seems the restore image you create with nandroid would still be rooted and still have 99.2b. Is there a way to do a complete recovery back to factory? Because if I ever went to the verizon store for a repair i feel they would tell me my warrenty is void.

Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones