• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I doubt it. I think they are referring to the "SDK Rom" build that someone did. It barely functions. We need a dump before it becomes a viable rom...There is supposedly one XDA is working on, but they are trying to remove the watermarks at the moment (if true). So until the dump is out, all this is is a build from the SDK and nothing more to see...

Upvote 0
I doubt it. I think they are referring to the "SDK Rom" build that someone did. It barely functions. We need a dump before it becomes a viable rom...There is supposedly one XDA is working on, but they are trying to remove the watermarks at the moment (if true). So until the dump is out, all this is is a build from the SDK and nothing more to see...
Yep

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
i am willing to go out on a limb and give google some credit here.

yes it took a while for 2.1 to come, but now the majority of android users are now on 2.1 and I believe google is on its way to addressing the issue that everyone has with there being so many different android versions running at once.

all that being said, google also talked about android 2.3 (gingerbread) being out by the fourth quarter this year. i think now that some of the carriers have walked through the 2.1 OTA update, they might not be so tentative about rolling out OTA's.

i think this might be a little "light at the end of the tunnel" for 2.2 to come down the pipe.

here's hoping!

Reactions: jrob007
Upvote 0
My reasoning for why the Droid will definitely be getting the Froyo update:

1. It one of a few non - HTC android phones that Verizon has. HTC will probably have to take their time to implement Sense 2.2 and will further delay them receiving 2.2. Motorola only has a handful of phones running android on Verizon so if they want people to continue buying their phones, they will have to get it 2.2 to show they have some great phones and dedication towards customers.

2. If the Droid doesn't get it soon then any iphone news that happens at WWDC will pull more people towards AT&T.

3. Most people's contract's will expire in the June/July period and they better have a better enticing product compared to the the iphone otherwise people will either renew their AT&T contracts or join AT&T.

Those are just a few reasons in my mind.

Upvote 0
I know the exact reason why some people think there is a 5 GB data limit and others do not. In January when i started my contract with vz i set it up online. It LITERALLY said that there was a 5 GB/month limit on the droids data plan when i set it up. Now it appears that vz has changed that, but a lot of us took note of it when we signed up because we were kind of disappointed. I know I was afraid of going over my 5 GB limit and getting charged ridiculous fees.

...visit the verizon site and read the (surprsingly short) agreement, you know, the one you signed off one when you signed your contract with verizon.
Ironically, the reason some of us thought the data was limited is because we DID pay so much attention to the contract we signed :)
Mine in November made no mention of a 5GB cap - but the USB cell cards did mention a 5GB cap at the time!

The contract did make a vague allusion to some kind of non-kosher behavior involving the cellphone.

Upvote 0
I know the exact reason why some people think there is a 5 GB data limit and others do not. In January when i started my contract with vz i set it up

Mine in November made no mention of a 5GB cap - but the USB cell cards did mention a 5GB cap at the time!

The contract did make a vague allusion to some kind of non-kosher behavior involving the cellphone.
I have no idea when and why vz decided to slip that into the contract and then take it back out, but all I can say is Im glad I dont have a 5GB limit like I originally thought I would have :)

Upvote 0
3. Most people's contract's will expire in the June/July period and they better have a better enticing product compared to the the iphone otherwise people will either renew their AT&T contracts or join AT&T.

Those are just a few reasons in my mind.

Uhhhh..... huh?

On what basis do you say MOST people's contract will expire in June/July?? Do you have access to the Verizon database of contracts?

I suspect that people's contracts, on average, expire at about the same rate each month.

Upvote 0
3. Most people's contract's will expire in the June/July period and they better have a better enticing product compared to the the iphone otherwise p

Uhhhh..... huh?

On what basis do you say MOST people's contract will expire in June/July?? Do you have access to the Verizon database of contracts?

I suspect that people's contracts, on average, expire at about the same rate each month.

He was referring to at&t contracts. I guess he was basing his assertion on the fact that all of the iphone models have been released in june and july. The 3G was released in june 2008 if im not mistaken, and a lot of people started their 2 year contracts then. But I havent seen any actual statistics that prove most iphone owners' contracts will end in summer 2010, but I dont think its farfetched to say a lot of them will end then.

Upvote 0
"He was referring to at&t contracts. I guess he was basing his assertion on the fact that all of the iphone models have been released in june and july. The 3G was released in june 2008 if im not mistaken, and a lot of people started their 2 year contracts then. But I havent seen any actual statistics that prove most iphone owners' contracts will end in summer 2010, but I dont think its farfetched to say a lot of them will end then."

Thanks for the clarification Riffdex! That was my point that people signed up for AT&T when the iphone's have been released which has been in June/ July. So if Verizon wanted to steal customers it would be wise to have a solid release date prior to WWDC just so people know what exactly they'll get FROYO. You know Jobs most likely have definite release date for OS 4.

Upvote 0
Right. I'm not rooted, I'm a "play by the rules" sort, but when I checked into a hotel that wanted $9.99/day for wi-fi, tethering was suddenly a good option, especially when I just used it for the few minutes it took me to download email to my netbook or look up a restaurant (in the pre-Droid days, of course).

Um.. I dont root and I have tehthering on my droid. 2.1 software haus. so.. I recommend azilink for those who want to tether and dont want to wait or root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones