• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid 2 - 512mb of ram?

adgjqetuo

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
I have the memory usage app and it always shows 300mb used and only 200mb free if ALL tasks are killed. If im running apps it goes as low as 50mb free. What gives? Does the droid 2 really suck up that much memory?? What about devices which only have 256mb? Is this normal? I don't really even have moving backgrounds or anything.

Android caches the most used programs, which gives it the appearance of using all/most of the phone's memory. It will run normally, though, and will automatically free memory, as needed, for any newly loaded application. This is also why task killers can reduce battery life and performance, as the OS then spends time re-caching the most used apps.

At least this is how I've understood it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Upvote 0
Android caches the most used programs, which gives it the appearance of using all/most of the phone's memory. It will run normally, though, and will automatically free memory, as needed, for any newly loaded application. This is also why task killers can reduce battery life and performance, as the OS then spends time re-caching the most used apps.

At least this is how I've understood it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

That's correct--though I'd add more emphasis to this statement: "This is also why task killers can reduce battery life and performance."

It's very likely that the cause of the slowness the OP is reporting is the task killer--you shouldn't be using one to begin with, but they also do not work on devices with Android 2.2. They've been problematic enough on past phones that Google gutted their functionality in 2.2, so it's not even meeting it's already false-claims.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones