1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Droid 2 and X EOL in March. Really?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by VanDums, Dec 21, 2010.

1. VanDums

VanDums Well-Known Member

Droid 2 and X set for March 2011 “End of Life Status | Android For Us

I love how Verizon is advertising the crap out of these phones for Christmas just to be EOL in 3 months. Just got mine yesterday and saw this today. I'm thinking that will mean 2.3 and done for these phones. I know it will still be sweet and everything. It's not going to stop working, but once that EOL date comes the updates will stop soon after.

Advertisement

2. droid2lb

droid2lb Newbie

3. inssane

inssane Android Expert

That's about the same span as the D1 had.
    Bigger, better, and more expensive things/habits - lol

4. VanDums

Yeah, I know. Just seems very quick to me because I just got the thing. Now that I think about it my Eris was EOL after 8 months. That thing was underpowered to begin with. Did the job though. The new super phones will be awesome. The 4G is what's going to make them amazing.

5. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Android Expert

Thatz the way it beez in this technology world!

6. inssane

inssane Android Expert

The only good thing is if it breaks under warranty and your phone is EOL, you get the next gen :)

7. VanDums

That would be sweet but won't happen as long as they have refurbs in stock.

Smartphone technology is moving way faster that anything else right now. I am a computer tech and we do get newer models in about once a year, but the difference is way less than a year in smartphones. My work laptop is 3 years old and still runs great. The newer ones are a little faster but that's about it. My Eris is a year old and the difference between it and my Droid 2 is insane. I even had my Eris rooted and over clocked and it was still a dog. I figure at this pace they will have to start leveling out in the next year or so.

8. vikki

vikki Member

I see the new phones and the new 4G network with a wary eye. I like the possibilities, but am more worried about the $$$ involved to get 4G. Everyone is wondering what the new data plans will look like. If Verizon's is anything like what my uncle had to pay for when FiOS came into his neighborhood, then we can all expect to pay more for 4G/LTE. Honestly if prices continue to go up, I might as well go back to dumb phone.

9. VanDums

Yeah, when the data plan is $50 I'll be very happy to have my D2. The data plan will probably be more than most people pay for home internet.

10. silverfang77

silverfang77 Well-Known Member

If the D2 is EOL by March, does that mean we won't get Gingerbread, nor any other updates after that time?

It hardly seems fair that they can stop supporting a phone when we're stuck with it on a two-year contract. They should support the phones until our contracts are up.

11. VanDums

No, it will still be supported for a little while and I'm guessing we will get gingerbread. It just means the phone will no longer be made.

12. that's how I got a D2 for 19.99

Got the D1 on special as the D2 was coming out at the end of the month. 3 months later, D1 broke, got a new D2 as a replacement.

Motorola Droid 2 Forum

The Motorola Droid 2 release date was August 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

August 2010
Release Date
Reviews