• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 2 Hardware

karnka

Android Expert
Feb 15, 2010
Newcastle, England
I'm needing to replace my (god awful) Galaxy S and I currently have an HTC Desire HD on order. It is however going to take quite a long time to show up (maybe 4-5 weeks :( ).

So, I'm tempted to try something else. I looked at the HTC Desire Z yesterday (i.e. the G2 hardware with Sense on it) and found it a little chunky for a reasonable small screen. Just not quite worth the extra heft for the hardware keyboard.

My wife has a Motorola Flipout and it's a lovely little device, albeit not very suitable for me, so that leaves me considering a Milestone 2, which will be out in the UK in about a week's time. I believe that the hardware is identical to the Droid 2 (bar the radios) however the software is a little bit more 'blurry'.

Anyway, given the Milestone 2 isn't out yet I wanted opinions from the folks who have Droid 2s. Have read a few reviews, it generally seems quite slim for a landscape slider and does look appealing. I'm sure this is rehashing ground but what's good and what's bad in people's opinion?

Droid2 is only limited by the limitations of the OS (which is not a lot). The one thing that seems to be a constant downfall for the Android OS, is their inability to create a good Facebook app. I am a heavy Facebook user, and can't stand the way that links take you to the full site, and other shortcuts work within the app itself.

I came over from a DROID and love the DROID2. It is fast as heck, no lag with anything. Wifi connects quickly, and works great. Seems like it can pickup a signal better than the original DROID. The voice quality is good, and the updates to the car dock/Google maps are fantastic. The phone is very sturdy/solid, compact, and has some weight to it (which I like). The display is nice, and the glass on it is virtually scratch proof. I carry it in my pocket sometimes with loose change in there, and not a nick or scratch.

The battery is something else that I have been very satisfied with. I take my phone off the dock at 8am, and use it quite a bit through out the day. When I put it back on my car dock at 5:30, I am never below 50% and it is usually at around 70%.

Love this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones