• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 2 OR Samsung Fascinate?

Droid 2 or Samsung Fascinate?

• Droid 2

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Samsung Fascination

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I was choosing between these 2, I would lean towards the Fascinate.

Having a good screen thats responsive proved to me I didnt need a slide out keyboard. I thought I needed one coming from an Omnia 1. The screen experience on that phone was so bad it made me get the Droid 1.

It will be lighter, thinner. The multimedia features are better on the Fascinate: the TV Out, the camera, I heard form folks the music playback is very nice.

I said lean towards at the beginning cuz I would have to test the reception on the phone first. I had the Droid 1. The reception is the only thing that made me keep the X. If I tried a phone and the reception wasnt the same or better than what I have or other phones, I dont want it. Since I knew the Droid had good reception, I had something to measure reception against. Reception is important to me.

So it depends on what u want from the phone if reception turns out to be not as good as other phones. I know the Droid 2 will have good reception, like the Droid did. If reception doesnt matter to u, the Fascinate all the way. If reception does matter.....its hard to say which to choose....lol

Upvote 0
I saw a Fascinate today (actually, one the other models that are the same as the Fascinate) and wow - the screen really pops. The colors are definitely over-saturated, but since the screen is so small, what would be horrible on a big-screen TV actually looks pretty compelling on the small form-factor. This was indoors, but it looked like it would stand up to full sun quite well.

The size of the device (I held the T-Mobile and I think AT&T versions? - whatever the other vendor is) was really not much larger overall than my Droid - sitting them side-by-side they are very close. In hand, however, the Fascinate just felt "more bigger" :))) than it should given the actual size difference. I have large hands, so no issue for me.

I appreciated how thin it is, actually less obtrusive in my pocket than the Droid. I rarely use the slide-out keyboard on my Droid so giving that up would not matter to me.

The Samsung UI add-ons are nicer looking than Moto-Blur, which looks amateurish to me.

I used to go two years between phones, but I think those days may be gone - too much exciting stuff coming out. I'd like to wait to see new Android phones that are coming out with faster processors (2ghz is on the way from what I've heard), but the Fascinate did fascinate me much more than I expected. Nice looking package, gonna tempt a lot of people.

That said, comments about Samsung's past tendency to abandon phones, and deliver slow updates is very concerning...I'd have to look into those comments much more closely. Also, of course, root is required, so no root, no Fascinate for me.

Upvote 0
I saw a Fascinate today (actually, one the other models that are the same as the Fascinate) and wow - the screen really pops. The colors are definitely over-saturated, but since the screen is so small, what would be horrible on a big-screen TV actually looks pretty compelling on the small form-factor. This was indoors, but it looked like it would stand up to full sun quite well.

The size of the device (I held the T-Mobile and I think AT&T versions? - whatever the other vendor is) was really not much larger overall than my Droid - sitting them side-by-side they are very close. In hand, however, the Fascinate just felt "more bigger" :))) than it should given the actual size difference. I have large hands, so no issue for me.

I appreciated how thin it is, actually less obtrusive in my pocket than the Droid. I rarely use the slide-out keyboard on my Droid so giving that up would not matter to me.

The Samsung UI add-ons are nicer looking than Moto-Blur, which looks amateurish to me.

I used to go two years between phones, but I think those days may be gone - too much exciting stuff coming out. I'd like to wait to see new Android phones that are coming out with faster processors (2ghz is on the way from what I've heard), but the Fascinate did fascinate me much more than I expected. Nice looking package, gonna tempt a lot of people.

That said, comments about Samsung's past tendency to abandon phones, and deliver slow updates is very concerning...I'd have to look into those comments much more closely. Also, of course, root is required, so no root, no Fascinate for me.

How did the fascinate feel bigger when its not out yet and u didnt even hold it???

Upvote 0
How did the fascinate feel bigger when its not out yet and u didnt even hold it???

Sorry if I confused you...what I said was (see bolded parts below):

"I saw a Fascinate today (actually, one of other models that are the same as the Fascinate)..."

and

"The size of the device (I held the T-Mobile and I think AT&T versions? - whatever the other vendor is) was really not much larger overall than my Droid - sitting them side-by-side they are very close. In hand, however, the Fascinate just felt "more bigger" () than it should given the actual size difference. I have large hands, so no issue for me."

I should not have said Fascinate in that second sentence above - my bad, was referring to the other models.

I was referring to the size of the t-mobile and AT&T versions of the Fascinate...both had similar sizes and both felt larger in the hand than I though they "should have" given how close they look when placed next to a Droid.

Hope that clears things up...my comments were on the existing "brothers" of the to-be-released Fascinate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones