• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid 2 Overclock(Kernel Module+Instructions)

What I am not understanding from the OP is how to get it from stock parameters to 1.3 and to edit the voltage. I just don't wanna run commands and not know.

You have to edit the setscaling.sh. Here's an example file, which would run the phone at 400/700/900/1100MHz (1.1GHz max):

echo 56 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 1100000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
echo 1 400000000 27 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 700000000 38 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 900000000 50 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 4 1100000000 56 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 0 1100000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 1 900000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 2 700000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 3 400000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

Line 1 is the maximum voltage the phone will pass to the CPU.
Line 2 is the maximum CPU speed.
Line 3 through 6 are different CPU speed in Hz (from idle up to 100% usage) with voltages (the secondary two-digit number).
Line 7 through 10 are the same CPU speeds in kHz (minus the last three zeros from lines 3 through 6, to put it simply). Note that they are in reverse order. I would assume this is due to how the OS reads the mpu_opps table vs how it reads the freq_table.

What values will be stable for your phone will depend on your individual handset. Just like with a desktop CPU, each handset's CPU is slightly different and will handle overclocking better or worse at different speeds/voltages.

Upvote 0
You have to edit the setscaling.sh. Here's an example file, which would run the phone at 400/700/900/1100MHz (1.1GHz max):

Line 3 through 6 are different CPU speed in Hz (from idle up to 100% usage) with voltages (the secondary two-digit number).
Line 7 through 10 are the same CPU speeds in kHz (minus the last three zeros from lines 3 through 6, to put it simply). Note that they are in reverse order. I would assume this is due to how the OS reads the mpu_opps table vs how it reads the freq_table.

What values will be stable for your phone will depend on your individual handset. Just like with a desktop CPU, each handset's CPU is slightly different and will handle overclocking better or worse at different speeds/voltages.

PERFECT! That's the link up I needed. For some reason my brain wasn't thinking to edit the file itself, but to enter commands.
I haven't edited files since one of the earlier 2.1 bugless beasts on the D1, and that was one time to remove some included scaling parameters.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yeah I had to run 1.2 at 59 but that's number basically is an amount of juice your phone sends to your cpu at that speed. That's why you don't want to go to high and if you drop it to low you can get reboots. Thus look for excess heat which could indicate your sending much power to it. Lockup and instability could mean not enough juice or your just running it to high

Upvote 0
Yeah I had to run 1.2 at 59 but that's number basically is an amount of juice your phone sends to your cpu at that speed. That's why you don't want to go to high and if you drop it to low you can get reboots. Thus look for excess heat which could indicate your sending much power to it. Lockup and instability could mean not enough juice or your just running it to high

I know what the setting/number does, what I'm looking for is how it correlates into voltages. Obviously we aren't pumping 59 volts into our phones, lmao.

Upvote 0
echo 1300000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
echo 1 300000000 27 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 600000000 38 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 800000000 50 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 4 1300000000 63 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 0 1300000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 1 800000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 2 600000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 3 300000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

Just noticed my max is still at 56 this phone must be a beast

Reactions: n0yd
Upvote 0

ah well:(.... even after this, i do not get it at all. guess i will have to wait for something simpler. :(:(:(

Upvote 0
echo 1300000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
echo 1 300000000 27 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 600000000 38 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 800000000 50 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 4 1300000000 63 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 0 1300000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 1 800000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 2 600000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 3 300000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

Just noticed my max is still at 56 this phone must be a beast

Wow wtf?! Hmm, you did up the other values as you went up, unlike me. Maybe if I changed mine too it would work. (ie. echo2, echo 3 etc)

Gonna test now.

EDIT: WOW! A 1678 quadrant @ 1.2Ghz, damn. This phone is a beast.

Upvote 0
Wow wtf?! Hmm, you did up the other values as you went up, unlike me. Maybe if I changed mine too it would work. (ie. echo2, echo 3 etc)

Gonna test now.

If you're only increasing the maximum frequency (lines 2, 6, and 7), then you only need to increase the max voltage (line 1) and voltage for the maximum frequency (line 6). Increasing voltage to the intermediate speeds without increasing those speeds really doesn't do anything except stress the CPU harder when it's trying to relax.

Upvote 0
1961.jpg

Highest Quadrant running on 1.4Ghz, I got 2 more in 1900 range that are : 1932, 1944

Upvote 0
If you're only increasing the maximum frequency (lines 2, 6, and 7), then you only need to increase the max voltage (line 1) and voltage for the maximum frequency (line 6). Increasing voltage to the intermediate speeds without increasing those speeds really doesn't do anything except stress the CPU harder when it's trying to relax.

Right, but I wasn't refering to changing the voltages. I was refering to the different speed steps. He changed his speed steps when he went to 1.3, where I did not, I left them at what they were for 1.2. But I think I found the problem, it was something else I missed.

EDIT: Ok I got 1.3 running nice and stable. Walcs, can you please tell me your voltage max for 1.4? Thanks ahead of time.

Also, why the hell did this forum disable tapatalk? What a pain in the ass.

Upvote 0
I'm also curious as to what voltages people are using for 1.3 and 1.4GHz. Right now I'm running 1.2GHz @ 59. A 470 second stress test hit 38*C max (while charging) with no errors. My Quadrant scores (my usual triple test) were 1708, 1632, and 1622. I'm not sure where that 1708 came from because I haven't been able to duplicate it.

Also, does anyone know what kind of maximum temps to avoid? I don't have much specific knowledge of the Droid hardware or ARM processors in general, and I really like to know my boundaries before I do too much.

Upvote 0
Damn, even 1.25 at 60 and 61 hard locks instantly. I guess my phone just isn't that great. And to think this is my 5th D2, lmao.

Could it be because im not upping the other values as I go up, just the max values? Im leaving the other settings at what I had them at for 1.2Ghz.

I have had several D1 replacements and I have had ones that could run 1.25 std voltage - 1.2 ultra low voltage, with no issues.
Sometimes it was the ROM that failed on certain kernels and sometimes the phone. I had one phone that couldn't go past 1ghz and another that could only run standard voltage at 1.1ghz.

I am looking at the 1.4 quadrant and my pants just got tight, lol.
Can't wait to get home and do this - no time to do it at work, even though I could.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones