• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid 2 Overclock(Kernel Module+Instructions)

Ughh, so I don't know if I just have a sad sad phone, or I'm doing something wrong. Every time I load the module, I edited the voltages and speeds to 1.2, as soon as I run the commands to run the module, the phone locks up for a second and immediately resets itself. Am I doing something wrong or is my phone just not good for overclocking? I read the original posts and I think I have the basic jist of it. I had an overclock D1 that I never had this much trouble overclocking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Ughh, so I don't know if I just have a sad sad phone, or I'm doing something wrong. Every time I load the module, I edited the voltages and speeds to 1.2, as soon as I run the commands to run the module, the phone locks up for a second and immediately resets itself. Am I doing something wrong or is my phone just not good for overclocking? I read the original posts and I think I have the basic jist of it. I had an overclock D1 that I never had this much trouble overclocking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What voltages are you attempting to run?

Upvote 0
So has anyone actually taken a look at any of the proc files, specifically /proc/overclock/mpu_opps? There's a setting in /proc/overclock/mpu_opps labeled as "vseld". It might make sense that these are the default voltage settings. If so, my mpu_opps file shows them as 62/58/48/33 for each profile top to bottom. It shows these values regardless of my current speed settings, so I'd imagine they're the default voltages for 1000/800/600/300, respectively.

If these are indeed the default stock voltages, they may be a reason why some people are having problems when trying to overclock. The scripts included with the package from the original post show lower default voltages.

Is there anyone a bit more knowledgeable on the matter that might be able to tell if I'm right or wrong?

Upvote 0
Hi folks, I'm the Milestone Overclock guy. I just patched in support for Droid 2 in this beta version and I was hoping you could give it a try. I'm not sure the module will load and work because I don't have this phone. The module I'm using is exactly the same I use for the Droid X. The addresses are autodetected, so it should work nicely in D2 as long as the kernel accepts the module.

Thanks!
Tiago Sousa aka mirage

Attachments

• MilestoneOverclock1441_beta.apk
    66.3 KB · Views: 287
Upvote 0
Already have it I'll see if I unload my module and reload your if it will work but I believe the modules are different so for the d2 you would have to use the module in this thread

The module I posted in the OP is exactly the same as the DroidX module, except it has the memory addresses hard coded in for Droid 2, versus the one I posted for Droid X having the DX memory addresses hard coded. His new module autodetects everything and works on DX. It should therefore theoretically work for Droid2.

Please test this out...

This is so we can get official support for Droid2 in the Milestone Overclock kernel module. The modules I posted were patched/hacked and compiled against the OMAP kernel sources. Not the ideal situation, but it worked.

Tiago has cleaned up all the patches, and compiled the kernel against official Motorola kernel source. This is the right way!

All other Droid X/2 Overclock apps use Tiago's kernel module(the hacked version posted) to do the actual overclock. Lets get things working the right way!

And if you downloaded and paid for one of those other apps or just appreciate the ability to overclock, please donate to Tiago. He's the real reason you're overclocked right now. He doesn't really ask for donations like some do, so I am doing it for him. He is very deserving of the support of all who are overclocked on Droid X/2.

Upvote 0
Cool ill try it out now

edit
just tried it works well getting 1850 in quadrant and 16.351 linpack scores any way to get it above 1.2

That's great! I'll publish it in the market soon.

To get higher frequencies you have to define custom rate/vsel in the settings (beware that rate is in khz), then move the slider to the far right.

Yes, I know, you can't define the entire frequency table in the app. The app was meant as a simple tool for beginners, but I see now that undervolting is something people really want, so I'll look into it.

Upvote 0
So has anyone actually taken a look at any of the proc files, specifically /proc/overclock/mpu_opps? There's a setting in /proc/overclock/mpu_opps labeled as "vseld". It might make sense that these are the default voltage settings. If so, my mpu_opps file shows them as 62/58/48/33 for each profile top to bottom. It shows these values regardless of my current speed settings, so I'd imagine they're the default voltages for 1000/800/600/300, respectively.

If these are indeed the default stock voltages, they may be a reason why some people are having problems when trying to overclock. The scripts included with the package from the original post show lower default voltages.

Is there anyone a bit more knowledgeable on the matter that might be able to tell if I'm right or wrong?

Load Milestone Overclock from the market, and "cat /proc/overclock/mpu_opps"... You'll get the proper output.

The new kernel module writes to both... vseld was a byproduct of nadlabak/kaldaban having developed his patch on on the Milestone Froyo Leak... No source, just poking at it. Pretty sick if you ask me. So his patch did spit out a bunch of extra garbled stuff like all those 1111's and 000's... But it worked!!!

Upvote 0
Hey Folks,

Update: App discussion thread located here: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/234717-app-quickclock-overclock-assistant.html

I wanted to let everyone know that I've posted an app called QuickClock up on the market. It drastically reduces the amount of testing needed in order to find the best voltage settings. It's free for now, so snag it early.

Here's how it works: Find the absolute bare minimum vsel necessary at a given frequency that keeps the phone from crashing or turtling (but isn't necessarily "stable"). Slap that number and the frequency you used into the app, hit calculate, and BAM. You've got your battery-maximizing yet stable vsel recommendations.

Can't use this app to set them directly as I don't like the idea of packaging Tiago's work in my own app (at least not without talking to him first), but all those hours of testing and uncertainty will just fade away.

I'm using it like crazy now that I finally made it, and I hope you enjoy it too.

Here's the appbrain link: QuickClock Overclock Assistant - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones