• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 2 rooted Froyo and OTA GB update install

This is a a tuff situation for some people who are new to rooting (including myself). I rooted my Droid 2, as it has Froyo on it. I put ClockworkModRecovery and Droid 2 bootstrapper on it after I used Z4 to root it. I only used the Wireless Tether program and didn't uninstall any of the stock apps. Three days ago I received the OTA Gingerbread update but didn't install it. I am hoping that someone who has successfully installed the GB OTA update on their rooted Froyo - Droid 2 would tell me if it works... because I have no idea how I'm gonna get all of my settings, apps and contacts and everything else back the way it is now if the only way to get GB update is to SBF back to stock first. Isn't there a way to do this GB update on a previously rooted Froyo Droid 2???​

You need to unroot using z4root first and foremost, but I didn't install over rooted Froyo, so I can't elaborate any further.
I know I should unroot, but I think the biggest hurdle is having a bootstrap installed and that will cause problems... I'm making a somewhat informed guess at this as no one has really done this, or hasn't posted about it. But I do think that the bootstrap program has to be removed before it could possibly install successfully. I have the Droid 2 bootstrapper

Upvote 0
I guess I should wait it out until Verizon has a final GB release for the Droid 2 that someone has hacked so that it can be used to update a rooted Froyo Droid 2. Is that a distinct possibility or will one always have to go to SBF to get the Verizon release of GB on their rooted-Froyo Droid2?
Thanks

Upvote 0
My D2 was rooted with Z4Root. I had frozen some apps using Gemini App Manager and used a few root apps like ad-free, Barnacle wifi. I never uninstalled any bloatware or installed any ROMs, etc. I allowed the Verizon standard GB upgrade to come down and install successfully without unrooting and had no issues. Can't guarantee you the same result, but there's at least one data point for you.

Rgds/Mark M.

Upvote 0
My D2 was rooted with Z4Root. I had frozen some apps using Gemini App Manager and used a few root apps like ad-free, Barnacle wifi. I never uninstalled any bloatware or installed any ROMs, etc. I allowed the Verizon standard GB upgrade to come down and install successfully without unrooting and had no issues. Can't guarantee you the same result, but there's at least one data point for you.

Rgds/Mark M.

Thanks, but did you have a Bootstrapper like Droid 2 Bootstrapper or ClockWork Mod Recovery installed on your phone before you installed the OTA update? If you didn't I bet that is why the update went ok. I'm not positive about this and I'm posting this comment so more people can identify, but I think failure to update the OTA on a rooted Froyo may be caused by having a bootstrapper installed. That is what I'm trying to determine before I pull the trigger on mine

Upvote 0
Thanks, but did you have a Bootstrapper like Droid 2 Bootstrapper or ClockWork Mod Recovery installed on your phone before you installed the OTA update? If you didn't I bet that is why the update went ok. I'm not positive about this and I'm posting this comment so more people can identify, but I think failure to update the OTA on a rooted Froyo may be caused by having a bootstrapper installed. That is what I'm trying to determine before I pull the trigger on mine

That might be it. No I just had standard root apps like those listed. No bootstrapper, clockmod, voltagemod, or custom ROM.

Rgds/Mark M.

Upvote 0
I was running Frayo, rooted and had/have D2 bootstrapper installed. I now have GB installed and nothing changed, everything is exactly the same. I unrooted before the I downloaded the update. The update does not mess with anything on your phone except for replacing the Frayo system files with the GB files. As long as you do not clear your cashe, data, and do not do a factory reset, everything will be exactly the same as you have it now after the update, inlculing if you are running a thing like launcher pro and have you picture as your screen background.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones