• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 3 - First Impressions

xXIncognitoXx

Jul 8, 2011
Got the phone a few hours ago, here are my first impressions (upgraded from the Droid 1)

It's running Android 2.3.4, no luck rooting it thus far, but I didn't really try too hard, just SuperOneClick, but it hangs and doesn't seem to work. The USB settings are changed in Gingerbread, there are a few more options, instead of simply "Share Drive or Don't" like in Froyo.

Screen is bigger, but it seems very pixelated compared to the original Droid. I will probably get used to it, but right now it's a little annoying to say the least.

The touch screen is really funky. You seemingly cannot place this on a desktop and use one hand to use the device, it seems to have some sensor that detects if you're holding it or not (to prevent false screen touches?) I'm not 100% positive this is the case, but in my testing, that seems to be how it's working. Bleh. edit: Further testing, it seems to mysteriously be working now, sitting either on a wooden desk, or even a metal chair. Strange...

Battery has been stuck at 50% since I got it. Seems to be taking forever to charge. Not sure what is up with that. edit: Seems to be charging much faster now that it's plugged into the wall instead of the computer.

It feels much faster than the Droid 1, apps and page transitions seem to be smooth and almost always instant.

Configuration was mostly easy, but I ended up having to manually export/import all my contacts, because Google sync is well, goofy. Could be user error, but figured I'd mention it.

There is a LOT of crapware pre-installed on this thing, way more than the Droid 1. I definitely will be rooting it as soon as possible to get rid of as much as possible. Numerous Verizon apps, and other things I'm totally not interested in (social media apps).

It shuts down/reboots really fast. Much much faster than the original droid.

There are bookmarks in the browser that are LOCKED, and I cannot figure out how to unlock them to delete them. A handful of verizon and google links that I couldn't care less about.

The keyboard feels great, will take a little getting used to, but feels very responsive thus far! (I keep hitting tab instead of the "a" key, by mistake).

Applications install very fast. Much faster than the droid 1, hands down (no comparison, actually)

No SD card out of the box, which means you cannot use the camera. I threw one in and it seems much better than the original droid's camera, but didn't do any serious testing. edit: Further testing allowed me to take pictures without an SD card. The first time I tried it gave me an error message indicating there was no SD card.

Great phone overall, though I'm still on the fence as to whether it was worth it to upgrade yet or not. I suspect that once I get it configured and rooted to remove some of the extra junk I don't want, I'll be much happier with it (and once my eyes adjust to the pixelated look of the pentile screen).

Will post more info, if you guys are interested. Also, if any of you know how to fix some of the issues above (bookmarks/rooting), please do reply and help me out. :) Thanks!

Upvote 0
can you (or anyone) give a little more thought on the screen? i've been reading some not-so-flattering things. apparently all moto 'qHD' screens use the PenTile grid, which is apparently not so great.

A Closer Look at the DROIDX2 and its qHD Display, PenTile at its Not-so-Finest - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

i have my d3 coming (missed delivery today) and am getting a little nervous. is this a deal breaker?

I personally am not liking it. I think I can live with it, in light of the other pros with this device. I am all about high resolution crisp images (I have a 1920x1200 15" laptop for instance).

It's very pixelated, and not very "bright" as a result. Web browsing looks pretty awful for any pages with solid colors, because you can see gaps/spaces in between the pixels. It's kind of annoying.

Like I said, I will probably be used to it in a week or so, but for now, it's definitely an eyesore. Is it a deal breaker? I don't think so, but that depends on how long it takes to get this thing rooted. There is a lot of crapware force installed as well (but that goes for any phone, so that's no big difference).

Reactions: Aquineas
Upvote 0
Got the phone a few hours ago, here are my first impressions (upgraded from the Droid 1)

No SD card out of the box, which means you cannot use the camera. I threw one in and it seems much better than the original droid's camera, but didn't do any serious testing.

Unlike the original Droid this has plenty of internal storage to use your camera. (about 12GB available) You can use the camera and basically everything just fine without an additional SD Card. In fact by default the pictures go on the internal storage (you can move them to a external card if you want though).

I think the screen on the Droid 3 looks fine! better than I expected. and I just came from a Droid Charge (which I admit had a slightly brighter screen, but worse color reproduction).

There is a ton of Crap preloaded on this thing (Go to meeting, Citrix? really?) but overall once you get the icons deleted from the home screens they don't seem to interfier with much. I REALLY hate the fact that even some of the bookmarks are not removable and they changed a LOT of the standard android icons (Gallery, Browser, phone, Camera, Apps, Messaging). I would LOVE to get CynagenMod 7.1 on this thing. The Google Talk Client does not support the front camera. Fring supports the front facing camera (although you are apparently upside down). Haven't tried Skype yet. The included Email app works pretty well though (supports displaying HTML emails) and even creating HTML formatted emails.

Very good build quality though in my opinion.

Dan

Upvote 0
Got the phone a few hours ago, here are my first impressions (upgraded from the Droid 1)...Great phone overall, though I'm still on the fence as to whether it was worth it to upgrade yet or not....

Thank you for the info. Regarding your OG Droid, were you rooted? Using a custom ROM (which one)? Overclocked (how fast)?

The reason I'm asking is that those of us OG Droid owners who are rooted, ROMed and overclocked, will probably see less value in the upgrade, so it's always good to know where YOU are coming from when giving your opinion.

Upvote 0
Unlike the original Droid this has plenty of internal storage to use your camera. (about 12GB available) You can use the camera and basically everything just fine without an additional CD Card. In fact by default the pictures go on the internal storage (you can move them to a external card if you want though).

I think the screen on the Droid 3 looks great! better than I expected. and I just came from a Droid Charge (which I admit had a slightly brighter screen, but worse color reproduction).

Dan

Curious, the first time I tried, it warned me that I couldn't take pictures without an SD card inserted. I just went back and tried again, and it worked. Odd.

In regards to the screen, maybe I just got a bad one, but I suspect not. In a week, once they are in stores, I'll go check out some display units to compare, but I can definitely distinctly see the "pixels". This is especially true for smaller fonts, there are slight gaps between each pixel, which makes the fonts look kind of bad to be honest.

Looking at it through the camera app doesn't look too bad, but applications (like K9, Connectbot), it's not so hot. The latter is particularly awful, because the font is default super tiny. It looked great on the Droid 1, so it's not a software issue that I can think of (unless there's some OS setting in Gingerbread..)

Upvote 0
Thank you for the info. Regarding your OG Droid, were you rooted? Using a custom ROM (which one)? Overclocked (how fast)?

The reason I'm asking is that those of us OG Droid owners who are rooted, ROMed and overclocked, will probably see less value in the upgrade, so it's always good to know where YOU are coming from when giving your opinion.

Rooted, not overclocked, using stock rom. There's an obvious speed difference, and I suspect that even an overclocked Droid 1 is still considerably slower in many regards. At a minimum, the D1 has half the ram of this new one. The keyboard is amazing, especially if you type a lot of numbers (such as IP addresses).

Upvote 0
thanks for all the info on the screen. my general thought on screens now is that they are all good and you won't notice anything unless you put them side by side with different phones/different screens. however with multiple people mentioning the display quality it raises some questions. i guess i'll just have to wait until tomorrow to get mine and see what i think

Upvote 0
can you (or anyone) give a little more thought on the screen? i've been reading some not-so-flattering things. apparently all moto 'qHD' screens use the PenTile grid, which is apparently not so great.

A Closer Look at the DROIDX2 and its qHD Display, PenTile at its Not-so-Finest - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

i have my d3 coming (missed delivery today) and am getting a little nervous. is this a deal breaker?

As a few here might agree, I am a picky SOB and liked the DX2 display.

If the D3 is the same, I would be happy.

Upvote 0
Well, here's my 2 cents:

Display quality: I like it.

Touch response: Love it! Very responsive, perhaps a little bit too responsive, but I have not messed around with it too much.

Speaker volume: I like the volume, though I believe the quality for anything other than making a phone call is horrible. Maybe it's acceptable for a smartphone, but I do not like it. I would not recommend it for listening to music at all. The random "oh that's cute"-youtube video sounds ok though. The location of the speaker is not the best place: it's located on the bottom of the device, where one would normally place their middle and ring finger when typing on the hw keyboard, which creates a very effective mute.

Total free space from the 16gb (OS and device app space takes some of this): my device only shows me a total of 11 gb, with that much available. I suppose they "hide" the memory system's using.

Video quality: I watched the following fragments on Youtube: YouTube - ‪High Definition 1080p Demo Video! Amazing Crystal Quality true HD!‬‏ and YouTube - ‪Philips HD Demo Air Show 2 mins 1080p‬‏ It looks very nice, but still much better on my laptop. The screen is not big enough to comfortably watch a movie of such great quality without feeling the need to squint my eyes. Maybe there's too much detail? The playback is very smooth, not a single complaint there.

Camera & video record quality: I have not recorded a video yet. I took some pictures and have uploaded them here. I find it annoying to use just the touch screen for the camera. Maybe that's old fashioned. I do like that you get a small thumbnail of the picture you just took in the upper left corner of the camera screen. Once the picture is taken and you want to send it, the icons are a little bit confusing. And the options for sending it are endless. Maybe this can easily be changed, but I have not gotten to that part yet. The pictures I took are of my dog and of cough drop bags at Meijer. Not the most representative of a good camera, but I did not give it a lot of thought.

Keyboard quality: the keyboard feels kinda flaky. I do not like that the numeral keys are so small, but I would not have liked it if they would have taken up a lot of space either. However I like the keyboard, just because I don't like having to write long messages with only a touch screen at my disposal.

Well, the D3 gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling. I love love love the speed of the device. I am super annoyed with the abundance of applications that I will never, ever use. I will patiently wait for an easy way to root my D3 and then get rid of the RAM gobbling apps. The back cover of the phone, which covers the battery, memory card and SIM card, feels very fragile. I hope it's going to be easy to replace because I can just imagine it breaking after trying to remove the battery.

Let me add to this review that I was a little bit surprised to find a SIM card in the Droid package. I thought that was only necessary for the 4G devices. Just because I wondered if it would work, I put my Dutch SIM card in the phone. It did not work.

Attachments

• 2011-07-08_16-45-16_104.jpg
    2011-07-08_16-45-16_104.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 310
  • 2011-07-08_18-17-54_668.jpg
    2011-07-08_18-17-54_668.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 243
Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones