1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Droid 3 - Mexico SIM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mmontanaa, Sep 14, 2011.

1. mmontanaa

mmontanaa Lurker

I have just ordered a Droid 3 through Verizon. I plan on rooting it and all of that. I have never owned a phone that has GSM capability. I travel to Mexico often and would like to be able to make cheap calls and use data if possible.
    Can I just go out and buy any SIM card for the Droid 3 and throw it in and go or what? It can't be that easy.

Thanks in advance for helping me with this noob question.

Advertisement

2. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast

Hi. I can't answer ur question but was wondering why you posted two threads on this?

3. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Android Enthusiast

There's one in there already. Your fine.

4. scarlow

scarlow Lurker

Been there with a Blackberry. Verizon charged me $0.99/minute to use CDMA service in Mexico. When I was due for an upgrade, they recommended a world phone, so I bought one. The next bill came at the same rate. They neglected to tell me two important facts: 1 - you have to 'activate' the SIM card in your phone, or it's useless. 2 - The phone will default to CDMA coverage if available...Verizon has a partner in Mexico that covers pretty much everywhere, so you will have to manually find a GSM network on the phone.

I never did get a chance to try that out. I heard elsewhere that the GSM rates were actually higher than $0.99/minute. The final piece you need is to convince Verizon to unlock your SIM slot, or pay a 3rd party to do so. THEN, you can buy a prepaid SIM in Mexico and get cheap rates...good luck.

5. mmontanaa

mmontanaa Lurker

Thanks Scarlow. Good info.