• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 3 OTA Reports/Issues

HadouGhost

Android Expert
Feb 14, 2010
for those who do not know, the OTA is on verizon's website which indicates that it should roll out within a week.

Software Update: DROID 3 by MOTOROLA - COMING SOON!

if you click ''benefits of software upgrade'' (if you have adobe) you will be welcomed to two awesome pages of bug fixes. and almost every bugfix they listed i've seen at least one person mention on here.

one of my favorite fixes listed - improved camera shutter speed and operation. EFF YEA!

Well, I updated with the (supposed) soak test file yesterday. Here's my experience today:

I have the multi-shot option for the camera, blue tint is gone!, cell standby and phone idle are at 5% and 4% respectively and my battery life (I'm using the extended battery) has gone from total crap to completely awesome. I've been using my phone A TON today to test the difference;

Listened to music (about 2 hours worth)
Took pictures (around 30)
Played half an hour of Angry Birds and 10 minutes of Fruit Slice
Checked Facebook about once an hour
Had Wi-Fi turned on for 5 hours
Sent around 20 text messages
Checked the battery stats about a billion times, lol

and I JUST (as I'm typing this) hit 20% after 14 hours and 21 minutes.

Display is at the top of the battery stats at 37% (5h 34m)
Android OS is second with 20%.
Social Location is 3rd with 6%
Media Server 4%
Wi-Fi 5% (5h 2m)!!!
Cell Standby 5% !!!
Facebook 4%
Phone Idle 4%
Music 3%
Text Messaging 3%
Angry Birds 3%

Fruit Slice disappeared from the percentages a couple of hours ago.

I couldn't be happier with that. I mean, the screen was ON for 5 1/2 hours.

Reactions: xmr405o and Kappy79
Upvote 0
for those who do not know, the OTA is on verizon's website which indicates that it should roll out within a week.

Software Update: DROID 3 by MOTOROLA - COMING SOON!

if you click ''benefits of software upgrade'' (if you have adobe) you will be welcomed to two awesome pages of bug fixes. and almost every bugfix they listed i've seen at least one person mention on here.

one of my favorite fixes listed - improved camera shutter speed and operation. EFF YEA!

Nice find, doood. :D

The first page of "benefits" is a lot about the bloatware (VZ this and that). The second page:

Additional Device Features
+ Improved camera shutter speed and addition of multi-shot capability.
+ Correct charging indication displayed while on the Wireless Charging Pad.
+ Improved stability reduces camera, browser and device lockups/force close.
+ Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
+ Display screen no longer flickers.
+ Airplane Mode works properly while toggling rapidly.
+ GPS updates now install properly.
+ Improved battery life.
+ The Startup animation sound will no longer play when the device is in
“Silent Mode”.
+ Guided Tours now available for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

Upvote 0
ok with that said, i dnt know how to unroot my phone, i read the root page , but i saw nothin to unroot , maybe im slow , but i downloaded the z4root can i use that to unroot? sorry if im talkin about this in the wrong area as well. also is this the same ota that is leaked? when i unroot do i have to put the phone back to stock

Upvote 0
Nice find, doood. :D

The first page of "benefits" is a lot about the bloatware (VZ this and that). The second page:

Additional Device Features
+ Improved camera shutter speed and addition of multi-shot capability.
+ Correct charging indication displayed while on the Wireless Charging Pad.
+ Improved stability reduces camera, browser and device lockups/force close.
+ Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
+ Display screen no longer flickers.
+ Airplane Mode works properly while toggling rapidly.
+ GPS updates now install properly.
+ Improved battery life.
+ The Startup animation sound will no longer play when the device is in

Upvote 0
ok with that said, i dnt know how to unroot my phone, i read the root page , but i saw nothin to unroot , maybe im slow , but i downloaded the z4root can i use that to unroot? sorry if im talkin about this in the wrong area as well. also is this the same ota that is leaked? when i unroot do i have to put the phone back to stock

There is an unroot method for the Droid 3 being worked on and tested by members at the XDA Droid 3 forum site.

Droid 3 Android Development - xda-developers

Go in there and search on "unroot." ;)

But be careful, you may want to read all of the posts in the unroot thread, as it is unproven software and some are seeing serious issues. Some are seeing success. Caveat emptor. ;)

Upvote 0
Im so happy *tear*

The only thing that I do not see listed is how when you click on the screen to add an icon, it lags between selections. My Fascinate did that and the more I used the phone, the longer that lag got - 3 minutes to get to applications at one point!! =T

Yeah, it got super long on my OG Droid. The more apps you have, the longer the wait. You can always just long-press an icon in the app drawer and select "add to home."

Upvote 0
The only thing that I do not see listed is how when you click on the screen to add an icon, it lags between selections. My Fascinate did that and the more I used the phone, the longer that lag got - 3 minutes to get to applications at one point!! =T

I've never seen lag on my Fascinate or this Droid 3. You've got me wondering why. Three minutes? Wow.. it's pretty much instant on my D3, same as with the Fascinate.

Perhaps something in this OTA will fix your issue if it's being caused by something else. But I'm thinking that your phone might just be so loaded up with things downloaded that it's taking a lot of time to search out the icon to app link (thousands of icons? ..etc).

Upvote 0
I've never seen lag on my Fascinate or this Droid 3. You've got me wondering why. Three minutes? Wow.. it's pretty much instant on my D3, same as with the Fascinate.

Perhaps something in this OTA will fix your issue if it's being caused by something else. But I'm thinking that your phone might just be so loaded up with things downloaded that it's taking a lot of time to search out the icon to app link (thousands of icons? ..etc).

I actually dont use many widgets, apps or games. I have maybe 2 of each? lol. Its actually a pretty common problem, almost everyone I know had a Fascinate and experienced the same thing. I was hoping my Droid3 wouldnt but Im noticing that everyday, its getting slightly longer. lols.

Hopefully it will be fixed. *crosses fingers*

Upvote 0
I actually dont use many widgets, apps or games. I have maybe 2 of each? lol. Its actually a pretty common problem, almost everyone I know had a Fascinate and experienced the same thing. I was hoping my Droid3 wouldnt but Im noticing that everyday, its getting slightly longer. lols.

Well, some lag in any Android device can be expected and is considered common, but as I say, I've never seen a lag in assigning icons to apps. The closest thing I can think of is having thousands of icons, docs etc for the system to have to sift through when making those links.

Upvote 0
Well, some lag in any Android device can be expected and is considered common, but as I say, I've never seen a lag in assigning icons to apps. The closest thing I can think of is having thousands of icons, docs etc for the system to have to sift through when making those links.

I think youve just been lucky! lol. Of the last 5 Android devices Ive had Ive experienced this on 2. =T And my D3 is like 4-5 days old, I have no docs downloaded and less than 2 pages of apps. =( Oh well.

Anywho, Id love for my phone to start up silent after the update!! :D

Upvote 0
After using the OTA for a day now.. I've got some thoughts. The phone battery does last longer, and it feels a tiny bit snappier. Plus the blue tint is gone. HOWEVER i feel that the quality of both pictures and video have degraded signifigantly. Even if good light is provided. Its so bad infact that i have a replacement phone on the way. its a CLN phone but ohwell.

over all i am very unhappy with the OTA. i hope that maybe this is just the leak thats destroying the camera while making everything else better.

anyone else report their camera being worse?

Upvote 0

It still amazes me to see how most Android users have their/our sort of "pet" issues with the device.

Mine is keyboard and softkey lights going dark right when I'm using them during texting, etc. I doubt very much if that issue is being addressed at all in this OTA, and am hoping for an app, which I'd pay for happily, which gives us "on," "off" and "auto" as choices.

I see a lot of posts in this D3 forum about camera issues, blue tint on pics, sound/speaker problems, vanishing icons, poor battery life, wrong contacts invoked on clicking and the oldest one of all: GPS issues. ;)

None ^ of which I have seen at all with my D3, just the danged backlight thing (which at first I did not notice much, thinking I'd resolved it by simply turning down my screen brightness so it would not affect the light sensor).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones