1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Droid 3 OTA Reports/Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HadouGhost, Sep 12, 2011.

1. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    Civil Engineer
    Color me disappointed. It looks like a ton of crapware additions and fixes with no mention of problems that are more than just annoyances.

* GPS not working at times without rebooting the phone.
    * GPS not near as accurate/strong as original droid.
    * Random reboots once or twice a day.
    * Lock screen delay so bad that I can't tell if I unlocked the phone or not.

I keep wondering if I have a POS version of this phone. I've held out for an update hoping they would address the issues I am having, but this is looking pretty bleak.

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

The GPS issues get reported in nearly every device forum around, some seeing it some not.

Reboots we see in several device forums, including this one, again, some not seeing it.

The lock screen delay has also been reported here in D3.. and some saying they don't see it.

I often wonder about configuration differences in devices which show or don't show reported issues. But, that doesn't help unless something specific can be posted about it, not to mention that we should not have to worry about our launcher or other configuration changes just to get the darned thing to work as advertised.

I will say this, if I had any of the bugs you list I would not be hanging on to that phone, but would be at the store for a replacement, especially the reboots happening randomly (maybe the GPS one would not seem that bad to me).

3. darrin2520

None

Feb 4, 2010
    Civil Engineer
    Yeah - I've looked through the random reboot threads and I have not found any solutions that work for mine. I can always tell when my phone is going to reboot soon because I get the delayed unlock thing. It is like a process is hanging or something. Once it is unlocked it is as responsive as ever.

Every concern I have *feels* like a software issue and not a hardware issue. I have put a lot of hope in this update and I am disappointed to not see the issues that I have experienced addressed. Even with the problems listed, I really enjoy this phone. It is exactly the phone I want sans the issues. :)

4. Coho1

Coho1 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    I have almost the exact issue. My softkeys and keyboard backlights seem to come on at random, not really sure why though. I haven't had any of the other issues, except the blue tint in some pictures. I've just been fixing it using Windows photo gallery.

5. Frisco

None

I think that the light sensor is too sensitive to changes, and it'll react to just about any change and shut them off or turn them on intermittently with just a slight "shadowing" change from moving your hand/fingers around the device.

I keep waiting for an app to show up in Market that'll defeat the whole thing. Or maybe having it addressed in an OTA.

Otherwise, as said by darrin, I'm very happy with the Droid 3; it's exactly what I was looking for.

When the Prime comes around, though, I may eat those words. :D

6. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Female
    Graphic Designer
    NJ
    Every phone I've had since my bb had the key backlight issue. I am just used to it. Lol

7. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    I've never had GPS issues on this phone, its been faster than my Fascinate, and as good as my HTC Eris. The reboots, supposedly have been cleared up as a few people who have been using the leak have reported no reboots after several days of use.

Lockscreen delay? Non-issue for me, as I don't notice it being any slower than my last 2 android phones.

Frisco likes this.
  8. MicroNix

MicroNix Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    So your phone got an OTA update from Verizon? Or are you just using the file lifted a while ago from Moto's servers?

9. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Android Expert
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    using the soak version. i dont like it at all

10. trini.s2k

trini.s2k Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 4, 2011
    why dnt you like it hadou

11. lextune

lextune Newbie
    None

Aug 18, 2011
    The lock screen is totally useless in the first place. What are the odds of you pressing the tiny little button in your pocket?

Download "No Lock" from the market and that particular problem will be solved. ;)

....anyway....not having a native option to disable the lock screen is ridiculous.

As for your other problems, my device has never rebooted without me asking it to first, and while I did have to do a battery pull once to get my gps to work, I don't think that is too bad a ratio since I literally use Google navigation all day long, five days a week.

Frisco likes this.
  12. darrin2520

None

Feb 4, 2010
    Civil Engineer
    hehe - yeah, but the freezing lock screen is only the indication of a larger problem. It only happens when some process (I wish I knew what) hangs. It indicates when I will get a reboot.

Incidentally, does anyone know the build number for this update? I had a weird tutorial thing on my phone this morning that I don't recall seeing before. I am wondering if this update gets pushed silently?

My build number is: 5.5.1_84_D3G-20_TA-9

13. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    The new build number is 5.6.890 according to phone dog.

darrin2520 likes this.
  14. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    really? it made a HUGE IMPROVEMENT on my device?

15. HadouGhost

None

Feb 14, 2010
    Try using your camera. the slight blue tint may be gone but at moderate to low light the camera performs worse. slow focus, neigh impssible to take a non blurry photo, and the video recording FPS is extremely low

16. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009

ok, to that extent you may be correct. I haven't played with the camera or video much...I do know that the the camera start up and time to focus is definetly way to slow!!! i've been looking to try a different camera app....camera 360 didn't work much better for me....I just need something quick and easy...I don't need all kinds of picture effects or options...I just need to be able to pull my phone out and fire up the camera quickly to snap a shot of the kids....by the time I get the phone out, camera up, and focused they are a year older!

the camera is still my only complaint with the d3 and the reason I did not jump on the bionic.

17. HadouGhost

None

Feb 14, 2010

ive tried two other apps. all of them with the OTA are way too slow. I liked pre ota how the camera worked.

18. azdawg

azdawg Newbie
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Male
    Arizona
    Hey Darrin, the GPS issue has been fixed on my phone.... I can turn it on/off at will without having to reboot.... and its spot on for me... As for the reboots.... I don't reboot mine but once every few days.... It sounds like your definitely has issues.....

darrin2520 likes this.
  19. TyrannoTaurus

TyrannoTaurus Member
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    That's the System Version - 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US

The new Build Number is 5.5.1_84_D3G-55

darrin2520 likes this.
  20. darrin2520

None

Feb 4, 2010
    Civil Engineer
    Is this after applying the leaked update or is it just better as of late?

Out of curiousity, when you reboot your phone what is the reason?

21. CyberWinter

CyberWinter Member
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    USA, Greece
    Has the speaker volume been boosted by chance with the update? D3 is much quieter than the original Droid and that's my BIGGEST disappointment. Google Listen isn't the same :(

22. TyrannoTaurus

TyrannoTaurus Member
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Nope. I think we were just spoiled with our OG Droids. The speaker on that phone was amazing and will probably never be matched. At least we can see WAAAAAAAY better in the dark with our super bright D3 LED now, lol.

23. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I do not think it is the speaker volume as much as the material used for the speaker. Seems plenty loud, but not as solid at the loud volume. Works for fine for me though and when in the car, I have the headphone jack plugged into my stereo, so plenty loud then :)

Droid 3 is good. It's what's for dinner :)

24. MicroNix

MicroNix Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    That's funny as I am not aware of the soak occurring yet.

25. Frisco

None