• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 3 Running Tab On Rumors

Hmm, maybe I'm remembering the article wrong, I'll try to find it.

edit-
Found it:
Android 2.4 Coming In April; Will Retain Gingerbread Name | TechnoBuffalo

"Sources are saying that Android 2.4 will release in April, but retain the Gingerbread name to cover a mistake in the releases."

Obviously the article was wrong on several things. And it never said that Gingerbread was a mistake. There was just some corrections to be made in the original release. Happens with every version of any OS.

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
AC too -- D3 on vzw site

It's OFFICIAL! Time for me to move to the "overview" thread now.

This makes me feel like it really could be out by the Fourth. Such a great phone, it's gonna be hard (but not impossible) to wait for the Droid 4...

But, then, who knows, maybe HTC will have an LTE 4G slide sooner -- and with an unlocked loader, to boot!

It still isnt official. The merge was in the system months before it was announced.

Upvote 0
It still isnt official. The merge was in the system months before it was announced.

Yep. It's not official until it's announced by Verizon/Motorola.
This wasn't a leak. So, it's not just a rumor any more, for sure! It's officially, or in a publicly accessible place anyway, acknowledged by vzw (internally, at least) to exist. That definitely removes it from 'only a rumor' status.

I am so conflicted about this phone. It is absolutely perfect for me -- in every way but the most important one -- LTE. Grrr!:mad:

Upvote 0
i went into the verizon store down the street, a few reps knew of the phone but none have seen it or heard of moto reps going to show or train them. which i dont see why they would need training since its the same as a D2/Dx, so im thinking a mid june release maybe. one rep who is big into rooting/hacking phones and fixing bricked phones for customers said he is tracking it in the verizon system because he wants one.

i wake up every morning since the 20th of may hoping to read of a release date or maybe it will silent release and it could be out tomorrow or the next day, etc.

Upvote 0
This wasn't a leak. So, it's not just a rumor any more, for sure! It's officially, or in a publicly accessible place anyway, acknowledged by vzw (internally, at least) to exist. That definitely removes it from 'only a rumor' status.

I am so conflicted about this phone. It is absolutely perfect for me -- in every way but the most important one -- LTE. Grrr!:mad:

It's actually the very definition of a leak. A rumor has nothing physical to back it up. This is actual information to back up the device's existence from a Verizon system that isn't public information. That makes it a leak.

Nothing is official until it's announced. Is it an indication that it is indeed real and probably coming before too long? Absolutely. But redraider1's comment about the Merge shows why that isn't always the case.

So yeah, this is more than a rumor, it's a leak. It's still not official though.

Upvote 0
I honestly hope it's running Froyo. Otherwise there's the concern that we may never see root on the device. Food for thought.

That's nothing to be concerned about. With a little effort, everything is rootable. It's not like an encrypted bootloader which is virtually impossible to crack. As long as there's enough developer support, it will eventually be rooted, regardless of which Android version it's running.

Upvote 0
That's nothing to be concerned about. With a little effort, everything is rootable. It's not like an encrypted bootloader which is virtually impossible to crack. As long as there's enough developer support, it will eventually be rooted, regardless of which Android version it's running.

Don't be so sure. P3 already stated that it may not be possible to root the new GB releases going forward if you're already on that version without root. Every exploit they knew has been patched in the new 596 official GB OTA on the DX1. It's been a few weeks now and still nothing.

Upvote 0
Don't be so sure. P3 already stated that it may not be possible to root the new GB releases going forward if you're already on that version without root. Every exploit they knew has been patched in the new 596 official GB OTA on the DX1. It's been a few weeks now and still nothing.

Well if P3 said that, then it should be taken seriously. I still think there will be a way to find root eventually. It might take awhile. But it's definitely something for people to keep in mind though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones