1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Droid 3 vs Droid Pro

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adam355, Jul 28, 2011.

1. adam355

adam355 Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    I need to purchase a lot of phones for my employees very soon and am trying to give them one choice that has a keyboard. I was originally going to go with the droid pro but it just seems like its so old now. Everyone currently has bb tours so having a similar form factor is a huge plus. But it would also be nice to have a dual core phone so the chances of these phones getting icecream sandwich someday would be nice. Obviously the chances of that happening for the pro are very slim. What pros and cons do you see these two phones having over each other?

Advertisement

2. jkmasi

jkmasi Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2010
    I don't have a D3 yet, but I'm thinking about selling my Droid Pro and getting one. The Droid Pro is a really nice little phone, and if users are really hooked on the BB form factor there would definitely be a comfort factor for them. My Droid Pro runs very smoothly, battery life is great with the slim extended battery, and it's a handy pocket/purse size. However, the screen is really small compared to other smart phones out now, and I hate having to put on my glasses every time I want to use my phone. Of course that would not have been a problem for me 10 years ago!

3. fingerlaker

fingerlaker Member
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    Droid 3 is a touch bigger and heavier overall but the tradeoff in size is a much bigger screen and much more user friendly physical keyboard.

The droid pro only comes with 4GB of total memory (2 internal, 2 SD card) whereas the droid 3 comes with 16GB of internal memory and a slot for an SD card for additional memory.

Of course the obvious with the droid 3 because it is a newer phone--better OS and dual core processor.

I think the size is the only downfall for the droid 3. And that depends on the individual--I like the size and wouldnt trade it for the world where others may think it is too big--all a matter of personal opinion. I have to think that for the most part you only notice the size in the beginning, then you simply become used to it and it doesnt matter.

If I worked for your company I would beg for the droid 3 over the droid pro!!!:D

4. bsweetness

bsweetness Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    I've have the Droid 3 for the past week and a half. I had the Droid Pro for seven months prior to that.

Yesterday, I returned the Droid 3 and went back to the Droid Pro.

The Droid 3 is a very good phone, but it's a little too buggy for what I need it to be right now. I, and many other users, experienced many problems - multiple random reboots a day, horrible battery life (even with the extended battery and all the knowledge of 6 years of smartphones - 2 years of Android phones - behind me for knowing how to tweak the settings and what to look out for), and a few other random issues. Also, their talk of an "improved" camera is hogwash. The pictures don't look any better than the X/X2 and only marginally better than the Pro in most situations.

Then there's also the form factor. I like phones with larger screens. I loved the Droid X that I had for six months. But I'm a physical keyboard person, so the Droid 3 seemed nearly perfect for me. The screen is a good size, and the keyboard is phenomenal. But it quickly became apparent to me that I liked the form factor of the Pro much better from a usability standpoint right now. This is just personal preference of course, and I would have gotten used to the Droid 3 (I had the original Droid and a Touch Pro 2 with landscape keyboards, so I wasn't inexperienced with them), but the Droid Pro just flows so much better for my everyday uses from a physical standpoint. Sure I'd like a bigger screen, but that's not the end of the world. That will probably change as my primary needs for the phone change, but right now from a business standpoint, the Pro meets my needs much better than the Droid 3. That point will be different for everyone, and I'm sure it will be different for me in the future.

The Droid 3 is extremely quick and responsive (although not all that much more than the Pro), and the new version of Blur is the least offensive yet, but there are still several issues that need to be ironed out. Motorola has acknowledged the reboots and battery drain issues on their support forums, so I'm sure a fix in the works. I liked the phone, and I really wanted to love it, but honestly at this point it didn't provide the significant leap forward from the Pro that I was hoping it would. Then add to that all of the problems I had, and I was wanting my Droid Pro back. I'd be willing to revisit the Droid 3 after most of the problems are worked out, but by then I'm sure there will be something new and better. For now I'm glad I went back to the Pro.

It's already a knockout 3G phone for those users who aren't experiencing any of the issues that are floating around, and there's no doubt in my mind that it will be the same for everyone once they address the problems that are floating around. But for me right now, the Droid Pro is the better choice.

5. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    With the exception of the errant Netflix app release, I have had zero reboots and have 1.3gb of apps installed. D3 is the most stable device I have used.

My son has the Droid Pro as a replacement for his Droid 1 that went bad. He really likes it and now has no desire to get an iPhone when released this fall.

6. xodustrance

xodustrance Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    D3 is awesome Droid pro upgrade. I just went from the pro to the D3. The D3 reminds me of the initial excitement I had for the Droid 1 - top notch build quality. The keyboard is awesome, the screen is bright and clear, and I love the dual core goodness.

The wife took my old pro and she likes it since she doesn't do much on the phone, but can if she so desired. The pro is the best solution yet for a physical keyboard but with portability still a concern.