• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid 3 wont turn on? Yes i've read other posts

Quells

Lurker
Mar 23, 2013
I Have a DROID 3, it started acting up months ago, i would have to take the battery out an re-insert it over and over an to get it to boot up. It would power on after about 5 re-inserts. Due to the phone acting up i had to do this numerous times. One day i had to do it again, i got it back on and it was running for about 5 minutes an then the Screen blanked out (was still on but nothing showing, Black screen with backlight on). i Pulled the battery figuring i'd just do the same old re-insert method and and its been dead for about 2 months. i JUST received a new battery, tried and still no luck. The New battery, shows the White LED while charging, it flashes but slowly and then after a while it goes solid, and stays solid. Any suggestions?

EDIT: when there is no battery present i get the White light. when a battery is in, no white light and nothing on screen

What do the white lights mean ?

What are the differences between Flashing and Blinking white lights

I've seen 3 different white lights since igot my new battery,
Constant Slow Blinking White Light
Solid White Light
Fast blinking white light

what do they mean????
DEVICE WONT POWER ON still evn with new battery.

Upvote 0
I merged the two threads....

The phone will not start without a battery inserted, even if plugged in, so that answers that question.

THe white light while charging a battery means that there is not enough charge to start the phone. Once the light goes out, it should be able to start. If the light never goes out, try the stock charger and cable if you are not already; if you are, try a different combo. I can charge my phone with a Kindle cable and charger, for example.

After the white lights go out, do you ever see the Motorola logo?

Upvote 0
No nothing on screen, white light is gone now, still wont power on. Im using the Stock charger, nothing. i know the Moto sign and a Charge animation shows up when its plugged in.

And i thought i'd inform ppl there was a white light without a battery because i seen someone plug there's in without and no white light. If it meant anything.

Upvote 0
No nothing on screen, white light is gone now, still wont power on. Im using the Stock charger, nothing. i know the Moto sign and a Charge animation shows up when its plugged in.

And i thought i'd inform ppl there was a white light without a battery because i seen someone plug there's in without and no white light. If it meant anything.

Right, but the Droid 3 will not power on completely - in other words, to a point where you can use the device as a phone - without a battery while it is plugged in. It will only power up to the Motorola logo.

With the device powered off, slide open the keyboard. Hold the "X" key while you power on. After the Moto logo, does it power up to an image of a triangle with an exclamation point and Android in the middle of the display? (Pull the battery after you see this display, or if it takes longer than, say, two minutes.)

Upvote 0
Right, but the Droid 3 will not power on completely - in other words, to a point where you can use the device as a phone - without a battery while it is plugged in. It will only power up to the Motorola logo.

With the device powered off, slide open the keyboard. Hold the "X" key while you power on. After the Moto logo, does it power up to an image of a triangle with an exclamation point and Android in the middle of the display? (Pull the battery after you see this display, or if it takes longer than, say, two minutes.)

No, it doesnt show anything, it doesnt show a moto logo at all, X and Power do nothing, Volume Up and Power does nothing, Volume down and Power does nothing, the phone gets hot SOMETIMES when on the Charger but nothing, the phone doesnt come on Period. not even the Charge indicator when plugged in

Upvote 0
It sounds like your screen is defective, it should(or might) still be under warranty and that is something you want to call in about, since it started happening months ago you may be able to work some magic with Verizon, or they may say you have to do insurance replacement... if you have it.
Or you can call motorola directly and explain the issue with them.

Though it seems something else is afoot here, has it ever been dropped? gotten wet? those 2 possibilities can lead to damaged hardware inside, or loose connections. I would honestly take it to verizon first, see what they can do for you.
Then if nothing works call motorola and see what they will do for you.
Then if nothing works insurance replacement.
or if you do not have insurance, negotiate to get a new device.

Upvote 0
Though it seems something else is afoot here, has it ever been dropped? gotten wet? those 2 possibilities can lead to damaged hardware inside, or loose connections. I would honestly take it to verizon first, see what they can do for you.
Then if nothing works call motorola and see what they will do for you.
Then if nothing works insurance replacement.
or if you do not have insurance, negotiate to get a new device.

It hasnt gotten wet ever but yes i've dropped it before but it never showed any signs of damage. i havent dropped it any around the time it started acting up, i Took it too Verizon and they couldnt do nothing, im past Warranty, even though Moto shipped the New battery for free

Upvote 0
It may not be the screen but just a system board failure of some sort.

Unless you stored files on the external SD card, without being able to power it on, you're unlikely to be able to access the files on internal storage. If you enabled USB debugging on the phone, there's a chance that plugging in the phone will enable you to use ADB to access the phone, but if you get no bootloader even, I seriously doubt that will work.

If you could get the phone into fastboot there are tools that can flash system files to the phone, but, unfortunately, I know of no way to do so while saving what is already stored on the phone. But without the bootloader, there is no fastboot, so I'm sorry to say that I think that you have a brick.

The other thing that you can try is to boot while holding the "M" key. If you see a text menu, one of which is AP Fastboot, you could at least try using RSD Lite on a Windows computer to flash the phone to factory stock.

Upvote 0
do the soft keys still work? if you hit the power button does the backlight go off or on? if you adjust the sound do you hear it? can you unlock the phone by swiping your finger where you believe the unlock icon is? if any of these things are possible then you have a bad screen, or a bad connection from the system board to the screen. that can result in parts of the board failing.
only a few ways to test it. and that is at your local vzw store, also i believe if you had the HDMI cable for the phone you can hook it up to a tv and begin that way. if it has the hdmi port connector that is.

Upvote 0
I just figured out the problem with my phone...motorola droid 3....doesnt power on..same issues as many....in complete frustration...i very nicely bent the 4 prongs inside the phone just slightly in one direction...very slightly with the corner of the back case cover...popped the battery back in and BAM!!!!...it booted up again....not sure if this is considered a fix...but it was better than a useless phone....good luck....hope it works...I did this at 10:30pm est....26Mar2014.

DAM....phone went dead again while i was posting this....) :

Upvote 0
I just figured out the problem with my phone...motorola droid 3....doesnt power on..same issues as many....in complete frustration...i very nicely bent the 4 prongs inside the phone just slightly in one direction...very slightly with the corner of the back case cover...popped the battery back in and BAM!!!!...it booted up again....not sure if this is considered a fix...but it was better than a useless phone....good luck....hope it works...I did this at 10:30pm est....26Mar2014.

DAM....phone went dead again while i was posting this....) :

OK....I took the battery out of the phone....plugged the wall charger into the phone several times until i seen the white light flash where the charger plugs in...then pushed the power button and the motorola icon came on the screen....I then immediately put the battery back in and then hold down the power button for a few seconds...be patient and the phone should start booting up....I can do this over and over...but it wont last...I retrieved my contacts and sd card and cleaned up the phone...this is all I can help with. 29Mar2014@1700est....btw way...i bought a verizon lg phone for $55...not my droid 3 but it works for now...im not spending anymore money on expensive phones...every droid i bought from motorola died for one reason or another...within 4 months....:mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones