• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid 4 could use GSM sim card?

There was a rumor earlier that VZW will turn the Droid 4 and some LG phone into the first LTE devices that are world phones.

I suspect that many LTE phones have both GSM and LTE/CDMA radios, even if the official specs at the VZW and OEM websites indicate only LTE/CDMA capabilities. There are posts by someone with a Rezound who inserted a prepaid GSM sim into the device in Europe and it worked just fine (except sending text messages, I think). If you look at VZW and HTC's specs about the Rezound, they say nothing about the Rezound having a GSM radio.

I have a Razr and I know Motorola sells this model around the world with GSM radios. I can't imagine they actually manufacture physically different phones for different markets. I would think that they would give up enormous scale economies in manufacturing and distribution logistics is they didn't just make one phone for the whole world. Apple's iPhone 4s has both CDMA and GSM radios built into one device, for example.

Anyway, I'm going to be in London in a couple of weeks and, if I have the chance, I'll try out a GSM sim....

Also, I recall reading that LTE is really the next generation of GSM technology, not CDMA technology--hence VZW's LTE (4G) devices needing sim cards while CDMA (3G)-only devices do not.

I suspect/hope all LTE devices will be usable as world phones in due time. That story about VZW making the Droid 4 their first LTE world phone also quoted a VZW employee stating that all that's needed is for them on tweak, optimize, and test their network to turn on the world phone feature. I hop that's sooner rather than later! !

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If I may ask, why would you want a GSM sim in the phone? It already comes with an LTE sim out of box, so no extra purchase is needed, and the D4 will be one of VZWs first Global LTE phones, so I wouldn't worry about that

What are the desired benefits of using a GSM sim? Want to take the phone to T-mo or AT&T?

To use it outside of USA so I don't have to pay the high roaming fees from VZW when I can buy on the go SIM cards...

Upvote 0
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4943/zjWXE_575px.png

Motorola Droid 4 Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

To explain, the chip manufacturers are making co-existing or multi-band capable chipsets. This allows them to standardize manufacturing to be sold to all phone manufacturers and carriers. It is they who choose whether to enable or disable the other bands more than likely due cavity restrictions of the phones and/or politics (aka. money).

In the case of the Droid 4, I'm sure once Verizon figures out how to lock it down and profit off of the GSM bands, they will unlock GSM sometime later this year... Motorola Droid 4 and LG Spectrum will have global GSM roaming, eventually | The Verge

If you are ballsy:
Possible info to enable GSM... Qualcomm mdm6600 (GOBI) AT Commands - xda-developers

Be interesting if that works. Haven't tried it myself, but plan on it when I get around to it.

Upvote 0
I think that one has to accept that Moto and others will find it economically viable to make two distinct models of phones, one for VZW with CDMA, EvDO and LTE, and a second one for GSM + 3G (UMTS) + LTE Whilst the LTE protocol might be the same, and UMTS is somewhat like CMDA, there are big differences in frequency bands which means optimising antennae performance becomes a problem. If HTC can afford to make two versions of the oneX, one with European 2G + 2.5G + 3G/UMTS, and another with an entirely different CPU for AT&T GSM + 3G + LTE, then I don't see why Moto won't make the two basic variants. Yes, I would like a proper European Milestone4. But I'm not buying anything until the UK has chosen the LTE frequency bands and LTE phones are available, hopefully this year (2012).

Upvote 0
I think that one has to accept that Moto and others will find it economically viable to make two distinct models of phones, one for VZW with CDMA, EvDO and LTE, and a second one for GSM + 3G (UMTS) + LTE
Whilst the LTE protocol might be the same, and UMTS is somewhat like CMDA, there are big differences in frequency bands which means optimising antennae performance becomes a problem.
If HTC can afford to make two versions of the oneX, one with European 2G + 2.5G + 3G/UMTS, and another with an entirely different CPU for AT&T GSM + 3G + LTE, then I don't see why Moto won't make the two basic variants. Yes, I would like a proper European Milestone4. But I'm not buying anything until the UK has chosen the LTE frequency bands and LTE phones are available, hopefully this year (2012).

p.s. Motorola DROID 4 XT894 - Full phone specifications

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones