• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

droid and handcent - contact picture problems

rock87

Lurker
Nov 10, 2009
Hey everyone, I'm having a problem with Handcent on my Droid. It seems like only one or two of my contact's pictures have carried over to Handcent, so whenever I get a new message or I look in the app, it just has the generic picture with the question mark. Is this happening to anyone else? Thanks!

All my stuff shows up....

I don't know if this will help...

But last night I linked via usb to my laptop and deleted all the .jpg files out of DCIM\.thumbnails

Then reopened my gallery and allowed them to all be rebuilt.... "reboot the phone first".

Somehow mine had gotten corrupted and it showed about 851 .jpg files even though I only had a little over 400... Handcent pulls them up instantly!

When I moved my card from my other phone to the droid I didn't like the file structure so I made new directories for my pics and videos.. but regardless "where" those files are, the thumbnails are stored in above mentioned directory and the pathways can get corrupted if you manually moved stuff.

If you get in there and it appears you have the proper number of thumnail .jpgs for the pics you have, you may just need to go a reinstall of handcent as something may have changed since your install.

Upvote 0
Here is my little insight on what probably happened. Most likely, the majority of your contact pictures have been downloaded from the profile pictures of Facebook (I'm in the same boat). As it stands right now, Handcent does not recognize these as contact pictures, therefor you end up with the generic one. Over on the handcent website within the forums, the developer is currently looking for beta testers for Facebook integration, which I assume will involve contact pics.

Upvote 0
Figured out the solution and root cause.

Cause:Handcent checks your google contacts.

Solution: Since most of us had our contacts loaded onto the phone before setting our accounts on the phone.... export your contacts to SD..... then import them from SD to your google account.

Anyone that has a facebook picture in your contact list will now have one in Handcent.

Upvote 0
I thought I was having this problem for the MyTouch 3G and Facebook is not a problem because I do not use the same email address for my FB as I do with the phone. Anywho, I thought I had this proble as well. All I did was close Handcent and then relaunch and the contact picture showed up. I guess it just needs to refresh. That is what I came up with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones