1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Droid Apps Suck Compared to iPhone

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by droidx_fan, Jul 17, 2010.

1. droidx_fan

droidx_fan Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN
    Have somewhat limited exposure but what I do have on Android Apps is not positive. The Apple Apps store is far superior to what you get with AppBrain and Market. The Android Apps always give a very vague and sketchy description, next to impossible to get details of what it does.

I bought Bettercut and Cashbook - Expense Tracker, both sucked in a big way. Already uninstalled both.

The open architecture of Android is a great concept and I love my DroidX. I hope the apps come along soon to make the whole thing complete.

Advertisement

2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    Just install them and try 'em out, if you don't like one delete it.

3. Gnomesarealive

None

Apr 10, 2010
    Bettercut is great for customizing your phone. Maybe you haven't found all of it's functions yet?

4. droidx_fan

None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN
    While not a big deal, Cashbook was a paid app ($4.99), I didn't get a refund. Seems like it would be easier if they'd just post some more details in the description. I believe they're purposefully vague so they can suck more people into spending their money on a crap piece of software.

5. droidx_fan

None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN

I'd like to know what functions you are referring to? I tried multiple times to install a shortcut for a contact phone call. I tried to do it in the Moto UI and Launcher Pro both. It automatically brought up one contact only and wouldn't let me alter it aside from changing the name and icon. Using the menu button wouldn't provide edit function that allowed me to change the phone number, the contact or anything aside from the label and the icon.

It sounded like something that would be great but the reality was substantially different.

6. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    You should have gotten a refund. I've downloaded a few paid apps that I didn't like and have always gotten a refund.

7. jamo

jamo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Educator
    SC
    Yeah, I love Android but the App Store needs a lot of work. The only way we can make it better is to keep supporting the platform though.

8. droidx_fan

None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN
    Airmaxx, no doubt. I was a bit surprised. But how much time can I spend to recover $4.99?

I wish the apps would offer a 24 hour trial or something. That would make more sense.

9. mikeyfl

mikeyfl Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    procrasturbater.
    apollo beach, fl
    i thought they did?

Replay likes this.
  10. NeutronBomb

NeutronBomb Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2010

Are you serious? Android market does offer a 24 hour trial. If you uninstall it through the market in those 24 hours it refunds your purchase.

BTW better cut is awesome and you are a little confused about what it actually does. I recommend reading up a bit before you start broadly stating that android apps suck. Im still not sure if you're serious or if this is a troll post.

11. SharonW

SharonW Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    They do. Perhaps you don't see the credit back in your account yet simply because it's the weekend and not all banks post activity immediately. You should get your money back if you returned it within 24 hours.

12. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    There are hundreds of worthy apps in Android and about the same in Apple. There are more in Apple, but re-spins of the same stuff- just like with Android.

Catch is a lot of great Apple apps will not fit (yet) on Android devices. Should be much better when apps2sd is common and the market expands to support it.

13. SharonW

None

Nov 3, 2009
    Change contact info within Contacts. Go to Contacts>click specific person>press menu button to edit or create options. Within edit, aside from the info, click the icon square for the picture and choose whatever picture you want from your Gallery.

If you want a shortcut on your screen to all your contacts simply drag the icon for Contacts out of the app drawer.

14. droidx_fan

None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, this certainly isn't a troll post. I wish I were kidding. Bettercut sure sounded like an awesome app and sounded like it would serve the need I had. I worked with it an hour and pushed every button available just to see if I was missing something. Of course, it came with no instructions nor could I find any on their website.

What it actually does? I was simply looking for an app where I could customize a shortcut. In particular, I wanted to be able to assign a shortcut icon that would dial a specific number for different people I frequently call in my contact list. After installing Bettercut, it said to go to the screen where the shortcut was desired, press on the screen and hold down, then install the shortcut when the pop up appeared. I did that and pressed the phone call shortcut. It then popped up a screen with ONE contact on it only. I thought I could surely edit that contact but all I could do was edit the name. The phone number stayed the same. I used the menu button to attempt to make more edits.

Now thanks for the accusation Einstein, if you have any better suggestions for getting the app to work, please post them instead of accusing me of lying or being a troll.

15. droidx_fan

None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN

Thanks Sharon, if you'd actually read my post, you'd realize none of those suggestions solve what I'm looking for though.

16. droidx_fan

None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN

Sharon, I hope you're correct there. If so, no big deal for it to take a couple of days. Be nice if there was a clear statement on the apps page of what happens, to avoid confusion.

17. HookEmHorns*UT*

HookEmHorns*UT* Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2010
    Industrial HVAC (Water Cooled)
    ATL, GA
    Well how about you make the topic sound a bit less like a troll then!

18. SharonW

None

Nov 3, 2009
    No need to get snarky, dude. I read your initial post twice to try and figure out what you were trying to do. Your last more indepth post, created while I was writing mine, didn't appear till after I posted.

So fine, apparently you aren't interested in anyone's help.

19. droidx_fan

None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN

Sharon, thus far the help has been a bunch of posts accusing me of trolling and recommendations that aren't applicable. I apologize if my response seemed "snarky", that wasn't my intention.

What it really seems like here is if your topic or posts aren't positive and sound like you're totally drinking the Droid Koolaid, then you get piled on from all the Droid Sycophants. I absolutely love my DroidX. But I am very disappointed in the apps that are available and a number of functions that just simply don't seem very well thought out.

20. droidx_fan

None

Jul 16, 2010
    Business Owner
    Indianapolis, IN
    I posted my thoughts pal, sorry if you're a bit sensitive. I spent a year using the iPhone, 2 weeks evaluating the Hinc and 3 weeks evaluating the Evo. While I am sure there are a lot of good apps available for the Droid, for the most part, the Droid apps I've used pale in comparison to similar ones I used on the iPhone. Since I am committed to the DroidX, I don't want that to be true. Unfortunately, it simply is.

21. darreno1

darreno1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    Why do people who clearly are in need of help frequently choose to fan the flames by wording their threads in such an offensive manner? You've had issues with 2 apps ( a lot of which seems to be from ignorance) and now all Android apps suck? Then on top of all that you're rude to the people who are trying to help you? Seriously?

22. SharonW

None

Nov 3, 2009
    Well, I didn't accuse you of anything, but I appreciate the apology. So let me get this straight. You're trying to create a shortcut to a single contact, but with a different number than that which comes up automatically? Or are you trying to create a contact shortcut that has a shared phone number for multiple people? Or are you trying to create multiple individual contact shortcuts that dial an alternative phone number than their usual phone number? I'm still not totally clear on that.

You do know that within regular Android, no alternative like Better cuts, you can edit your contact info directly in Contacts to use a different phone number than the one first listed, right? Then just create a shortcut to that Contact.

23. HookEmHorns*UT*

HookEmHorns*UT* Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2010
    Industrial HVAC (Water Cooled)
    ATL, GA
    Thats because you are use to the iphone. IMO i think the droid apps are better. I dont think you should be all gung ho about Droid or whatever but your topic title is what brings everyone to their 1st impression. Not sensitive at all just sayin PAL!

24. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    I don't understand why someone would pay for an app if they don't have a good description of it.

25. CCCC

CCCC Member
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    Research research research.