• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid, AVRCP, A2DP, Car Stereo

Digitalfix

Dec 6, 2009
Can somebody give me a straight answer on Bluetooth on the Droid and car stereo's. I've tried using the droid on a sony mex-bt3700u, a pioneer I don't remember the name of and a jvc kd-r800 on display in various stores. It will pair and work fine (Stream A Online Radio, GPS Navigation, and hands free phone conversations) except 2 things. My understanding is that the stereo should not come up as headphones. It does. The second thing is, shouldn't you be able to browse, pick, and choose (AVRCP) the phones music content in the Droid from the stereo? I can't do it on any of these stereos. I'm at my witts end. I really want to replace this beater stereo in my late model Porsche, but want to do it right the first time and not be pulling and replacing it multiple times.

Thanks

I can not answer if you can control the phone via bluetooth or how the connectivity is using a bluetooth ready radio and the moto droid, I use my droid with the aux output on my Pioneer N1 and I have the phone mounted to the dash via the A/C vents and I feel you get a crisper sound through your system doing this way as oppposed to using bluetooth.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Ok so I was able to get the avrcp to work with the Android media player on a Insignia NS-BT400 with the 2.0.1 media player, but not Pandora, or A On Line Radio. I think it's software related (whether an app has been programmed to support avrcp). If you play pandora or A On Line Radio and advance a song on the Blue tooth speaker it will bring up the media player and play it simultaniously with the other app. Pretty funny. I am going back to KMart and see if I can get the display unit to do the same. I'm not sure if it will be able to do the address book stuff, and play list stuff. I'm not so anxious about the address book, but the play list would be nice.

Upvote 0
My pioneer gives me standard controls, next, pause, play, for music player, MixZing (if i enable it) and Pandora.

I have wanted a way to actually get track selection and track info on my screen tho. I have a 7 inch touch screen, and my ipod shows everything even album art...I would love to get more info on my stereo.

Upvote 0
Mine paired as headphone too. I wondering if the stereo manufacturers are taking the easy way out. They can say it's avrcp compliant (for headphones) and not complete the development for full blown avrcp for stereo with all the extra goodies. Sad part is nobody came up with any fabulous new car stereos at CES this year.

Upvote 0
Mine paired as headphone too. I wondering if the stereo manufacturers are taking the easy way out. They can say it's avrcp compliant (for headphones) and not complete the development for full blown avrcp for stereo with all the extra goodies. Sad part is nobody came up with any fabulous new car stereos at CES this year.

But I do get caller ID info when the phone rings, so that tells me data can be pushed and displayed over bluetooth. I think its a matter of having an app that takes advantage of it.

Upvote 0
I know this is old, but thought I would update it. The latest Pandora does at least allow control of the media with AVRCP compliant head units or headset. it does not however publish track information.

That said it was an easy patch to the apk to make it send the track info that works with AVRCP head unit when it updates the notification bar in android. If anyone is interested and is familiar with APKTool use let me know and I can send you the smali changes. Sorry I will not be posting the modified apk. I am working on a change that allows using the skip back button as thumbs down, but that one is a bit trickier.

BTW I was able to make the same patch for Slacker radio app.

Reactions: ModusPwnd
Upvote 0
I know this is old, but thought I would update it. The latest Pandora does at least allow control of the media with AVRCP compliant head units or headset. it does not however publish track information.

That said it was an easy patch to the apk to make it send the track info that works with AVRCP head unit when it updates the notification bar in android. If anyone is interested and is familiar with APKTool use let me know and I can send you the smali changes. Sorry I will not be posting the modified apk. I am working on a change that allows using the skip back button as thumbs down, but that one is a bit trickier.

BTW I was able to make the same patch for Slacker radio app.

I know this is an old post, but I would definitely be interested in what smali file was edited in order to get the track info pushed from Slacker.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones