• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Bionic suddenly out to get me

expresiva

Sep 15, 2011
I may qualify for a 72 hour psych hold by the end of the night. At around 8:00 this evening, my phone started making doorbell noises. Out of the blue. I've downloaded nothing new in the past week. I don't use a doorbell for any notification of any program that I've ever had. It goes off about 2-3 times for every 10 minute that passes. The only way I can make it "go away" is by muting my media sound. Which is fine, I suppose, except I do use my media sound for things other than listening to random doorbells.

Is it just me?

Sorry, I didn't see your post in the other thread (color not installed). Are you stiill getting your normal notification sounds? Have you checked your settings to see if your notification sounds have changed?

I ggogled the problem and I've found that other people have reported the same issue, but no one has a solution. I wish I had more to offer...

Upvote 0
it happened once on my phone and it was that new alert system that verizon installed with the last update. in my case it was for a weather alert.

+1. And come to think of it, when I did get this notification (for the first time lastm onth during a flood warning) it did sound like a doorbell.

OP - did you notice any sort of icons in your notification bar? Or maybe pop-up alerts? It only happened to me once - numerous times but on one occasion - and I can't remember if the warnings just appeared as pop-ups or if there were notification icons.

Upvote 0
Yes, I received a Verizon emergency notification (also a flash flood warning) last Friday afternoon. I don't recall it being a doorbell sound (I was driving at the time), but it was an odd sound I had never heard. There was a notification in the notification area afterward, though - I think a red triangle notification.

Here are the settings for Verizon Emergency Alerts for the Bionic:

Wireless Emergency Alerts - DROID BIONIC by Motorola

See if that's it?

[edit] These are not the settings for my Droid 3, just to be clear. The D3 has its own Emergency Alerts app, with settings that you can configure. In case the info in the link I gave above is wrong, look for the "Emergency Alerts" app.

Upvote 0
I have no notifications whatsoever. Just the doorbell. I don't have weatherbug installed, and there are no weather alerts in my area. This just suddenly began last night.

I didn't see if anyone else asked you this, so I must (even though you said you don't get any notifications when this happens.) Do you use Yahoo Mail on your phone?

Upvote 0
I have no notifications whatsoever. Just the doorbell. I don't have weatherbug installed, and there are no weather alerts in my area. This just suddenly began last night.

Do you have the new Emergency Alerts app? The icon is a red triangle with a white exclamation point in it. If so, open the app and select the settings by touching the icon in the upper right of the screen. In there is an option to have an alert every 2 or 15 minutes on things such as AMBER alerts in your area.

That's the only thing I can think that it might be...

Upvote 0
Do you have the new Emergency Alerts app? The icon is a red triangle with a white exclamation point in it. If so, open the app and select the settings by touching the icon in the upper right of the screen. In there is an option to have an alert every 2 or 15 minutes on things such as AMBER alerts in your area.

That's the only thing I can think that it might be...

I have it, but all notifications are disabled.

Upvote 0
Ok, kids, I seemed to have resolved my mystery doorbell issue. I'd been going into "applications running" and closing stuff that I didn't need in hopes of resolving the issue. Nothing worked. However, today I went into "settings" and "battery usage" and I found two programs that were apparently using battery, but weren't actually running (no idea how/why, I'm not that smart, but they were). One was DishNetwork, and another barely useful program. I kept trying to stop them from the battery usage screen (which was an option) but they wouldn't go away. I even tried pulling the battery, blah blah, blah - they still showed that they were using battery power. So, I just deleted the mofos. Doorbell issues went away. I've reinstalled them and have not had any issues since. So, maybe it's just coincidence, but it seems that this has taken care of the issue. Again, it wasn't from the "applications running" part of settings that I found these rogue problem makers, but from the "battery usage". Hopefully this will solve someone else's issues as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones