1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General DROID Bionic vs Sprint Galaxy S2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sean76, Sep 15, 2011.

1. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    Well this is an interesting comparison!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1sRRTjipoI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Advertisement

ItsAboutTime, YankeeDudeL and jroc like this.
  2. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I havent seen the clip yet...but I know some folks were waiting for this...lol. I saw a hands of of this GS2 phone....and its nice.

3. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Interesting. Couple of things, the camera comparison was lame but he pretty much admitted so. I get about 15-20 mbs download on 4g in metro detroit while sprint has no 4 coverage at all. I place little to no significance on quadrant scores but they are fun to compare. Nothing was tested on user interface, stock apps. etc. so to me testing the camera, display and quadrants is a pretty shallow comparison.

4. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Samsung and HTC is known to have better cameras than Motorola, so no surprise to me there. The Exynos is gonna be the benchmark king for phones for while. Well....until the iPhone 5 comes out...then maybe we can see how much a difference the screen res makes. Anandtech did some benchmarks of the GS2....and it was at the top of most, probably all.

Maybe the OMAP 4470 will come out and challenge it a lil better too.

I think the benchmark scores with the Exynos will be much higher in some test thanks to the gpu. What I like most about the GS2 is the UI features...like the tilt to zoom? I wonder is that in the US versions.

5. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Android Expert
    None

Aug 9, 2009
    CA
    GSII is a badass phone, but the sprint network is just not up to par.

6. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

Lol...I was rolling along and when he got to Speed Tests he lost me! There is just no way in real world testing that anything on Sprint is faster then the Bionic on LTE, no way, no how! I will admit, it's a beautiful phone, and the screen is top notch, along with a really good camera. However, i'll take my Bionic over it with VZW any day of the week.

7. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    SGS2 is indeed still very potent phone with fast processor, beautiful screen, camera. But it unfortunately missed verizon. Even if they just dropped 3G SGS2 on verizon, it would be very tempting for me and would feel better than on Sprint. I'm just waiting on prime.

8. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    NYU Student & Real Estate Agent
    Manhattan, NY
    If its not on Verizon LTE, im not considering it. I really love LTE speeds and really can't go back to a phone with a slower network.

9. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    The GS2 just looks killer, Verizon will be getting the LTE version at some point, too bad it's taking so long. I think an LTE GS2 phone is launching in Canada right now

10. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    I think VZW passed on it altogether, and read somewhere that Samsung is building them a device very very Similar, but without it carrying the Galaxy S Name.

Besides, nobody knows what this Prime is going to bring! One would think it's a step or two ahead of the Galaxy S series.

11. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

I agree...I have No desire to buy any phone that's not LTE 4G! I dont care what kind of crazy screen or processor it's rockin...All these other carriers are behind as far as I'm concerned.

12. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    What I read was that they aren't going to release it when all the other carriers will, but at some time in the future

13. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

There are tons of mixed stories! However, I doubted it will come later! The SG2 is already pretty old by Tech world standards, any later into 2011 or Early 2012 and this thing will be very out dated. Plus, VZW already knew they had the Bionic releasing around this time, so with VZW being so tied to MOTO, I doubt releasing the SG2 along side the Bionic would have went over well with MOTO. And as stated in alot of Blogs, they just werent able to fit a real 4G LTE radio inside the current SG2.

14. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Not true, there is a Galaxy S2 LTE with a 1.5 Ghz dual core and a 4.5" screen, but the US market is always late on cell phone technology for some reason. Canada is getting it later this month.

Bell to launch LTE with Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and Galaxy S2 LTE | Tek Tok Canada

15. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    Yes, there is LTE SGS2 but it won't come to Verizon. There are rumors that AT&T might be getting it near the end of year though as it has GSM/HSPA/LTE radios. But verizon passed on SGS2 altogether and is going to get better one, Samsung Prime instead from all indications.

16. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love
    None

May 14, 2010
    Female
    AZ
    Well he is entitled to his opinion, but Samsung lost me with that piece of crap Vibrant they put out over a year ago. It NEVER even functioned right as a phone, much less a smart phone. I would never trust Samsung again on any network.

17. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    Well I've seen the Epic 4G Touch in person today! Yes its a nice phone, yes Samsung phones have the best screens on any phone available today, yes the camera is awesome!

And a big However,

Sprints Data is pure Garbage! And I mean absolutely terrible. Just to grab something from the market took close to 5 minutes. And watching youtube was just plain painful.

I had the original EVO on Sprint, and they're data was much much faster back then. I wouldn't take a phone on Sprint for free after seeing that display of what they're data has become.

18. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

Yep!

A Mr. T phone on a Barney Fife network.

19. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Slightly off topic but this thread got me thinking about it and I think it's relevant. The network is a very significant factor in the overall user experience of a smartphone. I don't think enough phone reviews take that into account.

If a phone is locked into a specific carrier, then support for that carrier needs to be listed and discussed as a device specification that affects the user experience right next to things like the processor, RAM and everything else.

The reviewer then needs to discuss the overall experience that network provides just like they do with the rest of the phone's hardware.

Too many journalists just write up an article about the phone's hardware and software and then when the web browsing is extremely slow they say don't worry about it that's not the phone's fault when the reality is that kind of speed is what the average user of the phone will get most of the time. Whether it's the phone's "fault" or not, if using a specific phone means you're locked into slow speeds or poor coverage for the life of that phone, the journalist needs to make that clear. My $0.02

jroc and jbdan like this.
  20. shadrap

shadrap Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2009

TRUE! Sprint data has dropped tremendously. I had the Hero and then the EVO 3G speeds at that time were on par with Verizon. Fast forward to now. I have the Verizon iPhone and my buddy has the original Epic. His data speeds are horrible. Sprint was not ready for smartphones and their network is suffering. The 4G build out is stagnant and WiMax will be a bad memory in the next year. I would love to see a GS2 LTE on Verizon.

21. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Samsung Epic 4G Touch review -- Engadget

This review has me a lil more interested in the Prime. I would have to test reception for myself. I live in a fringe, weak reception area so I'll already know how good it is compared to my Droid X1. Really for me the only thing that's a definite deal breaker is the actual phone reception.

Samsung seems to got a handle on the GPS issues with the GS2...maybe they did for reception too.

And I agree 100% about factoring in the carrier with the phone. And folks really need to choose carrier first, phone 2nd. Sprint sucks in my area so the Epic Touch is a no go anyway. Verizon and AT&T work the best where I am...so if I do ever leave Verizon, it would be for AT&T. And thats if I dont move anytime soon...

So far I think most of us agree...in our personal experiences anyway...that Sprints service sucks...lol

Funny, one person on another forum said Sprints works great on the east coast, they live in MD. I live in MD too...and it isnt good in my area. BUT...a female co worker has the EVO 4G and she gets service in the break room at work. (I work and live in the same area) I do too with my Droid X1, my Droid 1 didnt tho. I'm thinking she's getting 4G in there. Go figure..

22. briand515

briand515 Member
    None

Aug 8, 2010

Agreed about Sprint data, I had A LOT problems with data when I had Sprint which is why I got rid of them. At first I thought I was getting defective phones, but really Sprint's data just sucks. I remember their WiMax is really spotty, it does work "ok" (you get about the 3-6 mbps they advertise) when you actually can get a signal. Their 3G just sucks, most of the time I was getting like 200 kbps and my phone would like get really hot when I used it (I tried like 3 phones they all did the same thing), overall 3G felt near unusable most of the time and wimax was very spotty. I'm in a major metro area too. What good is unlimited data if it's barely functional? I really like the Galaxy S 2, but not enough to go back to Sprint. So far I'm really happy with the Bionic and Verizon's LTE network.

23. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

I agree on all points! And i'm pretty happy as well with my Bionic : )

24. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student