• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid broke....got a droid x for free as replacement!

With all due respect Tom, this post isn't really discussing a "scam" to get a free Droid X upgrade. It is however, letting everyone know that if their droid breaks they may end up getting a Droid X. The OP obviously finds this great, I would find it horrible. If we were to talk about a scam, that would be Verizon trying to force people to wait for a month or more to get a warranty replacement. Keep in mind, most of the people that are waiting to get their Droid X still have a phone as they know they don't have their new phone. People with a phone that breaks unexpectedly are now out their cell phone. In my case, this qualifies as an emergency since I use my phone for work email and, in addition, it is my only phone and would leave me with no way to call 911 in case of an emergency. To me, if they don't have any Droids to do warranty replacements they must offer a phone with similar functionality even if it is only a loaner.

Now, granted, some people MAY use this information to try to scam Verizon which is bad but I really didn't see that being mentioned in this thread. Maybe I missed something though.

was referring to this comment.

What do you do to your phone to "break" it..

Upvote 0
was referring to this comment.

Ah, I did see that but didn't place it with scamming for a Droid X because, as I understood it, he meant he did it to get a new version of the same phone with every phone he gets. I agree that that is not a good move, and probably a big part of why phones are so expensive with the phone companies having to figure in the cost of a larger percentage of warranty claims than they really should.

On the other hand, I did do this once with my ATT Tilt. Something was wonky with the phone and it would either receive emails or be able to use the web but never both at the same time and to change from one to the other I had to reload the ROM. I was informed by three different techs that "working internet is not covered by the phone warranty". I had to take matters into my own hands at that point :mad:

Upvote 0
understanding Apeman's comment about rooting everyone has their own opinion about rooting. If you're not interested in rooting you came out ahead in my opinion. If they were to offer me a newer phone I would take it. Personally, I make sure mine "break" about every year or so and get a new one while under the mfg. warranty.

I have nothing to do with scamming, the comment above was the one referring to scamming... just sayin'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones