• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Charge, Droid x2, or Thunderbolt

dressagerider

Feb 12, 2010
I am switching from ATT and currently have the Inspire 4G. I love my phone and HTC, but ATT has no service in my area and I am dropping and missing calls daily.

4G is coming to my area in a few months, so I do not know how important it it is to get a 4G phone now. Will there be kinks to work out? Will 4G improve reception or just upload/download speeds? I really like the Motorola Droid x2 but it is not 4G - but does have dual core. The charge is beautiful but I am not familiar with samsung phones. The thunderbolt would be my first choice since I love HTC, but this phone has had a lot of problems and I am a little worried about that.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!! I need to make the move asap.

Yeah, I'd drop HTC quick....It seems like they have been dropping the ball lately

As for 4g, I am not entirely sure if it will improve reception...I actually think it is mainly for download/upload speeds(SOMEONE CORRECT IF I AM WRONG)

Regardless if I am or not, it's a gimmick to me that I could careless about...

Droid X2 sees too be getting great feedback from a few friends that I know who brought one and from some forums i have read

I'd rather have Dual Core over 4g....and it's fast

As for the Droid Charge, some people complain about a little lag in the UI or Browser but I honestly have not seen much to complain about as far as lag.

Cameras are great, reception is great, and OMG that screen

Samsung's Products are generally great...Some complain about the Plastic they use. It's not a big deal to Some but Some hate the plastic...I actually like it

But people worry about Samsung and their updates for the phones because their Galaxy S line(and the Behold 2 on Tmobile) were either severely late in being upgraded or not at all but it seems like Samsung is trying to improve themselves

Upvote 0
The Thunderbolt is the one on the list to stay away from. The Droid Charge and X2 will have way better battery life. To me 4g is one of the best features on a phone today. I am used to Verizon being so slow that if I am browsing or downloading something from the market that with a 300 kbs connection it would just take forever. There is no more waiting with lte. The X2 will be faster for pretty much anything else other then data speeds.

I would stay away from the Revolution, its been getting some bad reviews with complaints about call quality and the screen.

Upvote 0
As for 4g, I am not entirely sure if it will improve reception...I actually think it is mainly for download/upload speeds(SOMEONE CORRECT IF I AM WRONG)

One other benefit (it is claimed), is that LTE will have at least slightly better penetration over current areas, specifically in fringe areas where the building material might be just enough to dampen a signal getting inside. I take this with a grain of salt, due to the following:

Areas that are 4GLTE ready now, are major markets, and really shouldn't be having signal issues anyway, and...more importantly, still plenty of break-in period for the 4G to get all sorted out before I would even worry about the validity of the statement.

Just figured I'd put it out there.

Upvote 0
If you want to take advantage of the 4g network, go with the Charge or the Thunderbolt. With that said, I had the Thunderbolt and it has a horrible battery life... I just traded it in for a Samsung Charge with am happy with it so far. I agree with the previous poster who said to stay away from the Thunderbolt.

I can't speak for the Droid x2 since I've never used it or tried it, but one disadvantage it has is that it's not on the 4g network.

So my vote: Samsung Charge

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses!

I have had the thunderbolt 10 days and the battery life is terrible. I also really feel like the data speeds on my att inspire was much faster than the tb - and verizon is much stronger in my area than att. I feel like the screen has some lag and the light seeping from the bottom of the screen really is not excusable.

I have always loved htc phones, but since I am still within my 14 day period, I think I am switching to the charge this afternoon.

Upvote 0
I came from a LG enV touch and I love my first smartphone being the samsung charge.... in the VZW store the guys told me on flash heavy sites it would jus crash, and i would not be happy with the amount of RAM on it because it would chugg a lot of times. Well, i listened to my gut and i love my charge! BTW, the screen makes me happy everytime I look at it, its beautiful lol.

Upvote 0
The Thunderbolt is known to also have issues with losing signal (3 and 4G) when you go inside...anywhere. The Charge is a powerhouse. I stream hour-long videos with no buffering whether I'm on 4 or 3G. The screen will knock your socks off. The update has made everything smooth and snappy.

The X2 is good too but it's pointless to get a dual core phone unless you're an intensive multitasker with very processor intensive systems running. At this point in the phone world dual core is a bit overkill and seeming utilized as a marketing trap for geeks.

Upvote 0
I came from a LG enV touch and I love my first smartphone being the samsung charge.... in the VZW store the guys told me on flash heavy sites it would jus crash, and i would not be happy with the amount of RAM on it because it would chugg a lot of times. Well, i listened to my gut and i love my charge! BTW, the screen makes me happy everytime I look at it, its beautiful lol.

Wow! That is exactly what my local store reps told me about the charge. Why are they trying to ruin this phone? The low ram is why I went with the thunderbolt first because they had me worried. I wish I would have listened to my gut first because now I will pay a re-stock fee if I change to the charge. Why are the store reps pushing the thunderbolt so strongly I wonder?

I just installed the thunderbolt update a few minutes ago and i am going to watch the battery life today.

Upvote 0
Wow! That is exactly what my local store reps told me about the charge. Why are they trying to ruin this phone? The low ram is why I went with the thunderbolt first because they had me worried. I wish I would have listened to my gut first because now I will pay a re-stock fee if I change to the charge. Why are the store reps pushing the thunderbolt so strongly I wonder?

I just installed the thunderbolt update a few minutes ago and i am going to watch the battery life today.

I hate when reps or people in general try to push a product on me. I mean if I ask you, sure that is fine but if I say i want this phone then how about try to talk about it's feature it has instead of something like low ram?

Upvote 0
I hate when reps or people in general try to push a product on me. I mean if I ask you, sure that is fine but if I say i want this phone then how about try to talk about it's feature it has instead of something like low ram?

Is it possible that they are trying to push out the stock of Tbolts so they end of life it? If so do they have a special comp plan for pushing tbolts over Charge?

The funny thing is that I am getting ready to upgrade my original droid and am leaning very heavily towards the charge and not the tbolt.

Upvote 0
Is it possible that they are trying to push out the stock of Tbolts so they end of life it? If so do they have a special comp plan for pushing tbolts over Charge?

The funny thing is that I am getting ready to upgrade my original droid and am leaning very heavily towards the charge and not the tbolt.

They are really pushing the tb hard. I called and was asking about the ota for the charge and they told me they could send me a tb and I could choose between the two. I told them I was not eligible for another upgrade but they said they would waive that if I ordered a TB or a Blackberry curve 3. Something is telling me they are trying to dump these big time.

PS tried the DX2 and the screen was brighter than the og dx but I failed to notice any performace increase from the og dx.

Upvote 0
I would 1000% recommend getting the Charge. I had the TB for over two and a half months, and I just bought a Charge yesterday while my TB will be going on eBay tonight.

I am not looking back AT ALL!! The Charge is better than the TB in every area that I have tried. Even build quality. I know that sounds weird since the Charge is all plastic and the TB has some metal, but the Charge still has better build quality in my opinion. I had two TB's where the frame was separating from the glass. And both had mushy power and volume buttons.

I would highly recommend the Charge, and I'm just sad that I didn't find it sooner!

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0

It really does seem like they are pushing the tb for some reason. And that reason is NOT because it is a great phone. They are almost insistent. It is really weird.

I wonder if your local store will also push the tb also??

Upvote 0
They are really pushing the tb hard. I called and was asking about the ota for the charge and they told me they could send me a tb and I could choose between the two. I told them I was not eligible for another upgrade but they said they would waive that if I ordered a TB or a Blackberry curve 3. Something is telling me they are trying to dump these big time.

PS tried the DX2 and the screen was brighter than the og dx but I failed to notice any performace increase from the og dx.

It seems like they are trying to dump the stock of the thunderbolt. This has to be a huge failure for htc, whom actually makes wonderful phones. And verizon never offers to waive upgrade fees.

It makes me mad that they pushed the tb on me and my husband in the store and now we have a 60.00 restock fee on our bill. I think I am going to call verizon and try to get a supervisor on the phone to see if they will waive the fee.

I have the charge now and love the phone! No phone is perfect, but this one sure beats the thunderbolt and I like the 4G as it is coming to my area at the end of summer.

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
I would 1000% recommend getting the Charge. I had the TB for over two and a half months, and I just bought a Charge yesterday while my TB will be going on eBay tonight.

I am not looking back AT ALL!! The Charge is better than the TB in every area that I have tried. Even build quality. I know that sounds weird since the Charge is all plastic and the TB has some metal, but the Charge still has better build quality in my opinion. I had two TB's where the frame was separating from the glass. And both had mushy power and volume buttons.

I would highly recommend the Charge, and I'm just sad that I didn't find it sooner!

I 100% agree with you!

Upvote 0
We came from AT&T also. Once we saw how fast the LTE (4G) was, it was a choice of Thunderbolt or Droid Charge. VZW 4G is lighting fast compared to their 3G (and VZW 3G is faster than AT&T and Sprint). We ended getting one of each TB and DC. Note that if you want to use your phone for a full day, then 4G isn't your phone. The advantage DC has over TB: battery life and better screen. Disadvantage for the DC compared to TB: no notifcation light, cannot simutaneously use phone and data when on 3G area (both phone can do data/phone call on 4G), and as of right now, Tango works great on TB but no audio on the DC (Tango knows about this issue).

By the way, anyone having issues with Launcher Pro freezing at startup or have no apps show up when the application button is hit? This would be LP on DC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones