1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Droid Charge overheated -- battery temp 107 degrees F

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by curtisdr, Aug 1, 2011.

1. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2010
    I was inside the local YMCA for about 15 minutes when I noticed that the front pocket I was carrying my Droid Charge in felt a little too warm. I removed the phone to find it excessively hot. I removed the back cover and the battery was hot to the touch. I wasn't sure what the problem was, so I quickly looked for a sensor program, found AndroSensor, and then downloaded it. By the time I had the program installed, the battery temp was showing 107+ degrees F. I rebooted the phone to see if it would help. I also remembered that I had left LTE turned on from a trip I had taken a few days ago. I set it to back to CDMA mode since I live in a 3G only area. It took about 15 minutes for the battery temp to drop to around 85 degrees F. An hour later it's about 80 degrees F. I have no idea what caused this, but it does concern me that the phone could get that hot.

Advertisement

2. Cilraaz

Cilraaz Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 14, 2010
  3. mrjwen

mrjwen Newbie
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    IT Consultant
    New York, NY
    About a week ago I was using Google Navigation, streaming Pandora, and had my Charge plugged into the car charger. My phone was also in a silicone case. The music started stuttering so I looked down and a warning message had popped up indicating that the phone was overheating. I removed the case and turned Pandora off and it was fine. ... So in short, it looks like the phone protects itself from overheating.

4. treb1797

treb1797 Android Expert

May 22, 2011
    Tennessee
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question as the Charge is my first smart phone. Do these type of phones sometimes run a little hot. My Charge ran hot if the beginning, but as time has gone on it hasn't been a real issue. Every once in a while my Charge will feel warm, but nothing to be to concerned about. Just curious & thanks in advance.

5. smguy101

smguy101 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 24, 2010
    Military
    El Paso, TX/Colorado Springs, CO
    Yes, when the phone works hard, the phone will run a little hot. Don't worry, the phone is designed to prevent overheating.

6. bl4ke360

bl4ke360 Newbie
    None

Jul 3, 2011
    Last night mine reached 114 degrees, and I wasn't even using it nor was it in 4g mode, it was just charging. Then it froze and didn't respond even when I pressed the power button, so I had to pull out the battery. Probably the third time I've had to do this.

7. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Was outside walking around DC last Saturday when it was about 100F. As it turns out, that doesn't give you much margin before bad things happen. I snapped some pictures around the WWII memorial and my phone froze, rebooting shortly thereafter. It was actually verrrry slow getting through the boot animation and sluggish at the home screen so I yanked the battery and left it apart in my pocket for awhile. If I was in a situation where I needed the phone, probably would have turned off mobile data. As it turned out, I was back inside within an hour. This is not the first time I've had my phone freeze up and reboot after getting hot (upwards of 110F).