• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Charger/Data Cable

I too was a little confused by this at first because I didn't know there were too standards for the small USB cable (mini vs. micro). In this link you can see the differences in sizes up close.

Picture: Mini vs Micro USB

Kind of a bummer, I was hoping my camera cables would work interchangeably with this phone. Oh well, hopefully micro over takes mini and these cables become more common. I loved that I could charge my old blackberry with so many different cables.

I have seen adapters for the mini USB that convert to a micro connector. Amazon had them for several cents each and I plan to try them out when I place my next order for something totaling enough for free shipping. I don't see why they wouldn't work. I can use my Moto Razr wall chager and car charger then.

Upvote 0
I have seen adapters for the mini USB that convert to a micro connector. Amazon had them for several cents each and I plan to try them out when I place my next order for something totaling enough for free shipping. I don't see why they wouldn't work. I can use my Moto Razr wall chager and car charger then.

Mini-to-micro converters are a dollar each on EBay (including shipping). They work fine for charging your Droid with an older mini-USB charger.

I'm assuming those "several cents" adapters on Amazon tack on a huge shipping and handling charge.

Upvote 0
Mini-to-micro converters are a dollar each on EBay (including shipping). They work fine for charging your Droid with an older mini-USB charger.

I'm assuming those "several cents" adapters on Amazon tack on a huge shipping and handling charge.

Oh most definitely! I think it was $2.00 (a joke IMHO) which is why I was going to wait till I had a large enough order to see if I could tack them on for free shipping.

Upvote 0
I have a Motorola charger that came with my Moto Bluetooth headset. The USB connector is the correct size. In a pinch, can I use that to recharge my Droid?

We may have gotten the same bluetooth headset. If so, that's the charger I use every night to overnight charge my Droid. That way I can keep the USB cable in another room with my computer.

Upvote 0
Doesn't hurt to try (as long as this is a quality brand charger). Worse that can happen is that the charger is too weak and will charge the phone slowly or not at all.

I guess my concern was that different chargers for different devices might use different pin-outs, such that I might be attaching my Droid to something with reversed polarity and fry it. Hopefully manufacturers would choose something standard. One would hope that Motorola, at least, wouldn't use two different schemes for two of their own products. I think maybe I'll try charging the headset with the Droid charger, rather than plugging the Droid up to the headset charger. If something's going to fry I'd rather it be the headset.

Thanks folks. :)

-Scott

Upvote 0
As far as the short cable goes, you can buy a usb cable extension plug it into you charger and you phone usb cable into it and it still works and now you have 4 more feet of cable while charging and you only spent somewhere from $5 to possibly at most $15 and no problem anymore with very limited movement or the short cord dragging your phone off the table in the middle of the night. Cable will work the docking station too if preferred or needed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones