• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid devices apart from phone service

lodestar

Jun 27, 2010
This is an odd question, and probably only relevant to me, but hopefully someone knows the answer. My current phone is older, and I've never had a droid or android phone.

Do the Droid devices still work after the Verizon service shuts down? I'm looking to buy a replacement phone like the Inc or maybe the X, and I don't want to extend the contract. Say a year from now, I cancel the VZW service. I understand I can't make calls anymore, or surf the web via the data plan. I'll still have the device - so do the following functions still work once there is no service connected to it - clock, apps not requiring a connection (like games), video player, audio player, camera, internet via wifi? Will I still be able to download apps via wifi? Get software updates?

I can live with the replacement phone price if I'm buying what is essentially a portable computer.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones