• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Eris vs LG Ally?

LG Ally or Droid Eris

• Droid Eris

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • LG Ally

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

ksc6000

Mar 31, 2010
My girlfriend is on Verizon (still under contract), and her LG Chocolate phone has broken. I need to get her a decent phone, and the only ones she can afford are the Eris and the LG Ally off craigslist. If any of you have used both, I would love to hear an objective opinion on which one to go with.

If her chocolate broke, then I would just replace it with another feature phone. An eris or ally will require adding the 30$ data pack. What I did when my fiances phone broke, I went on ebay and got her an lg dare for 40 bucks.

But activating a phone I get from craigslist...wouldn't that exclude me from having to buy a data plan? I mean she already has a plan with verizon, and shes not getting the phone through them. she's getting it from someone on craigslist. So she'll still have to pay the data plan/

Upvote 0
But activating a phone I get from craigslist...wouldn't that exclude me from having to buy a data plan? I mean she already has a plan with verizon, and shes not getting the phone through them. she's getting it from someone on craigslist. So she'll still have to pay the data plan/

Well, that is dependent on the phone type. A "smartphone" absolutely requires a data plan on verizon, they will know too based on the ESN when you try activating it. Any android, windows or palm based phone will require it. Also be very careful when buying used phones for verizon, because they keep a database of stolen phones and if it's on the list they won't activate it and you get left holding the bag.

Check your local pawn shop, thats also a good alternative.

Upvote 0
Well, that is dependent on the phone type. A "smartphone" absolutely requires a data plan on verizon, they will know too based on the ESN when you try activating it. Any android, windows or palm based phone will require it. Also be very careful when buying used phones for verizon, because they keep a database of stolen phones and if it's on the list they won't activate it and you get left holding the bag.

Check your local pawn shop, thats also a good alternative.

Wow...that's really crappy. The whole point of buying a phone yourself from somewhere else is so that you don't get forced to use all the stuff that you'd have to buy if you bought it from the carrier. Thanks for letting me know.

Upvote 0
Wow...that's really crappy. The whole point of buying a phone yourself from somewhere else is so that you don't get forced to use all the stuff that you'd have to buy if you bought it from the carrier. Thanks for letting me know.

actually the whole point of buying a phone off-contract is that you aren't extending or starting a contract that you ll have to wait 1-2 years to get off of. verizon requires you have to have a data plan because if you have a smartphone you would most likely be using internet and email. I don't know why you'd want a smartphone if you couldn't use those things anyway unless you are always in wifi range. Back in the day verizon did let you opt out of data plans on smartphones, but that was like over 4 years ago from my memory.

Upvote 0
actually the whole point of buying a phone off-contract is that you aren't extending or starting a contract that you ll have to wait 1-2 years to get off of. verizon requires you have to have a data plan because if you have a smartphone you would most likely be using internet and email. I don't know why you'd want a smartphone if you couldn't use those things anyway unless you are always in wifi range. Back in the day verizon did let you opt out of data plans on smartphones, but that was like over 4 years ago from my memory.

About 2 years ago they started requiring data plans on smartphones. Before that, you could opt out.

Upvote 0
actually the whole point of buying a phone off-contract is that you aren't extending or starting a contract that you ll have to wait 1-2 years to get off of. verizon requires you have to have a data plan because if you have a smartphone you would most likely be using internet and email. I don't know why you'd want a smartphone if you couldn't use those things anyway unless you are always in wifi range. Back in the day verizon did let you opt out of data plans on smartphones, but that was like over 4 years ago from my memory.Well, that is dependent on the phone type. A "smartphone" absolutely requires a data plan on verizon, they will know too based on the ESN when you try activating it. Any android, windows or palm based phone will require it. Also be very careful when buying used phones for verizon, because they keep a database of stolen phones and if it's on the list they won't activate it and you get left holding the bag.

Upvote 0
I have had an Eris for a year now and in the last couple of months got my kids Allys. The Eris is better imo, but the Ally is a good little phone esp. for the price I paid for it. It has some advantages over the Eris....like a physical keyboard...and some disadvantages...I think it has less memory and doesn't have sense. But the screen is basically the same size and it will basically do everything the Eris will. It is a bit more clunkier with the keyboard so it probably depends on whether or not that is a consideration for you or not. Also, I seem to have read somewhere the the Ally will eventually get 2.2. Eris won't. But if you are rooting like my daughter did the first week, it doesn't matter anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones