1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Droid, Excel, Word, Powerpoint

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droidwalker, Jul 28, 2011.

1. droidwalker

droidwalker Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Droid 3 comes with "QuickOffice". It has four applets (Spreadsheet, Word, Presentation, and PDF).

For example, when you create your spreadsheet, you can save it as current XLS, or backwards compatible to Excel 97-2003 format.

When you launch QuickOffice, the main page has an icon "Browse". Tap the icon, you next screen becomes a "file manager" where you can lookup files, rename files, delete files.

To expand the screen size, use your two fingers to expend (zoom 150%), or pinch (to minimize the view).

After you type some text in a cell, when you highlight the cell again, the right edge has a knob. Tab the knob, a mini menu opens (to cut, copy, or paste).

When you tap your phone's Menu, the spreadsheet opens with toolbar at bottom of screen. You can scroll right, to see more icons (tasks) on the toolbar.

When you save your file, you can create a folder, say, "MyDocs" and then save your excel file inside this folder.

Later when you launch our QuickOffice, you can drill down to this "MyDoc" folder, you will see all your files, excel, word, presentation.

Finally, you can email your docs to yourself or to a colleague.

Droid 3 is becoming not just a walking dictionary, it is a wonderful (productivity device) that happens to fit in your pocket, on the road, at a park, to do research or to create your own documents, and then share it with a friend.

Isn't this what a mobile device should be?

Advertisement

2. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I use pivot tables a LOT, so the Excel app will do me little good :(

3. btonetbone

btonetbone Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    You can also download the Google Docs app from the market, which gives you the power of Google Docs and cloud storage right on your phone. Pretty awesome.

4. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I was so excited when that came out since a lot of my class notes and projects are up there (i export once every two weeks for a backup :) ). I was incredibly disappointed when I realized the app was really just a link to their web interface with a better menu.

Trying to work in your documents is still a pain. I use Docs to Go for my phone and Xoom. There could be better ones out there, in fact I'm looking for one. I had already bought that at a good price though.

5. spunker88

spunker88 Member
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    Watertown, NY
    Quickoffice is pretty good, but I am waiting for Softmaker Office to come to Android. If you have ever used their Windows Mobile version it was one of the best out there in feature support. Hopefully we see a beta soon they said they were going to release one soon and that was in April.

6. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

I like Documents to go better. Been around since before MS had WM versions.

7. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I've been using QuickOffice HD on my Xoom and it works really well. There are some issues with Google Docs, but I'm going to email the dev about it.

8. JoeFishNC

JoeFishNC Member
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    I use Documents to Go Premium edition (PAID) and a good other app is Printer Share and now you can do anything office like, including Google Docs and then print right to your printer...works well :)