• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid get new FiOS app

Fair enough, but I didn't buy any additional dishes, and the wiring is the same for the additional TVs as it is for Fios...Coax to the additional STB, or in the case with Dish, the TV. The only difference is one isn't paying for the additioinal STB w/Dish.

Does anyone know if the TV Feed will be available via this Fios application? Or is it just the remote capability?

Not quite the same, you still need to have a separate run from where your boxes are to each tv in addition to the 4 or 5 runs from the dish to your boxes, whereas FiOS only needs 1 run which can be split to the tv's.

On Topic, no streaming to the phone yet, but we live in hope. :)

Upvote 0
Not quite the same, you still need to have a separate run from where your boxes are to each tv in addition to the 4 or 5 runs from the dish to your boxes, whereas FiOS only needs 1 run which can be split to the tv's.

On Topic, no streaming to the phone yet, but we live in hope. :)

One run to one box, one run from that box to 2nd TV.

2nd run to 2nd box, one run from that box to 4th TV.

(4) runs total...no difference, except that I pay for (2) less boxes.

I'd still probably go with the Monsoon Vulkano box for the TV feed to mobile. Frame rate looks really good for only ~225Kb/s, vs any browser feed which "may" get developed.

Upvote 0
One run to one box, one run from that box to 2nd TV.

2nd run to 2nd box, one run from that box to 4th TV.

(4) runs total...no difference, except that I pay for (2) less boxes.

I'd still probably go with the Monsoon Vulkano box for the TV feed to mobile. Frame rate looks really good for only ~225Kb/s, vs any browser feed which "may" get developed.

How do you use the dual tuners with only one incoming feed? On DirecTivo, I had to have 2 separate runs to use both tuners.

Upvote 0
How do you use the dual tuners with only one incoming feed? On DirecTivo, I had to have 2 separate runs to use both tuners.

Like I said, I'd be hard pressed to believe that the Fios box is more flexible than the Dish Network VIP "dual tuner" boxes. Just to clarify, I have (2) coax runs coming from the dish, (1) run to each box. Each box then has (1) run for each of the (2) TVs...that's all the cabling. Each box has a "coax out" to support the 2nd TV. Each box comes with (2) remotes, one "infared", one "UHF". Each remote controls the separate tuners, so people in the (2) different rooms can watch different channels. The "Dual Tuner Basics" video shows "some" of how it works.

Support Videos

Wow...Dish is coming out with a STB "with slingbox capability built in"...and 1TB drive?!?!?

:eek:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/default.aspx

The ante has been upped.
:)

Upvote 0
But the beauty of FIOS is you can ditch the low end DVR's and get a real HD Tivo to go along with real HD.

All dual tuner (and record Fios + OTA), the media player actually works (Sorry Verizon, that doesn't cut it) streams your netflix instant que, multiroom viewing + moving recordings to portable devices, (plus more I don't remember now) all with the best DVR interface (and most reliable scheduler) available.

And it runs the same base OS as your phones.

I'd lose the DVRs altogether before I'd watch Dish's (which is only slightly worse than DirecTV) fuzzy over-compressed feed. Well, unless I didn't have HDTV's, then I guess it wouldn't matter (as much).

Upvote 0
Like I said, I'd be hard pressed to believe that the Fios box is more flexible than the Dish Network VIP "dual tuner" boxes. Just to clarify, I have (2) coax runs coming from the dish, (1) run to each box. Each box then has (1) run for each of the (2) TVs...that's all the cabling. Each box has a "coax out" to support the 2nd TV. Each box comes with (2) remotes, one "infared", one "UHF". Each remote controls the separate tuners, so people in the (2) different rooms can watch different channels. The "Dual Tuner Basics" video shows "some" of how it works.

Support Videos

Wow...Dish is coming out with a STB "with slingbox capability built in"...and 1TB drive?!?!?

:eek:

DISH Remote Access- DISH Network

The ante has been upped.
:)

Couldn't view the video at work, but I did locate the manual, and I have to say, I figured there must be some kind of compromise to be able support 2 tv's with one box, but I didn't realize how much of a compromise it would be. SD only on the second TV :eek: If you want to record one channel, and watch another you have to switch into single mode with the button on the front of the box which now disables the second tv (or you can enable the same picture to the other tv) :eek: Holy crap, I think I'll stick with separate boxes for each tv, thank you very much.

Upvote 0
But the beauty of FIOS is you can ditch the low end DVR's and get a real HD Tivo to go along with real HD.

All dual tuner (and record Fios + OTA), the media player actually works (Sorry Verizon, that doesn't cut it) streams your netflix instant que, multiroom viewing + moving recordings to portable devices, (plus more I don't remember now) all with the best DVR interface (and most reliable scheduler) available.

And it runs the same base OS as your phones.

I'd lose the DVRs altogether before I'd watch Dish's (which is only slightly worse than DirecTV) fuzzy over-compressed feed. Well, unless I didn't have HDTV's, then I guess it wouldn't matter (as much).

I thought about going the Tivo route, especially since I would be giving up my DirecTivo, but I figured I would give the FiOS dvr a chance, that was 4 years ago, and I am still using the FiOS dvr. I find the space limitation is not that crippling as much of the stuff I would need to record on the Tivo is available "On Demand" so I don't need to record it on the FiOS dvr. I actually don't think I could give up the "On Demand" feature just to go to Tivo. There is just way too much stuff available "On Demand", literally thousands of tv shows and movies, and now that my droid will work as an external keyboard, I don't have to deal with the virtual keyboard for searching. :)

Upvote 0
Couldn't view the video at work, but I did locate the manual, and I have to say, I figured there must be some kind of compromise to be able support 2 tv's with one box, but I didn't realize how much of a compromise it would be. SD only on the second TV :eek: If you want to record one channel, and watch another you have to switch into single mode with the button on the front of the box which now disables the second tv (or you can enable the same picture to the other tv) :eek: Holy crap, I think I'll stick with separate boxes for each tv, thank you very much.

You misunderstand the "single and dual modes".

If you want to control "both TVs", with one remote, and see the same content displayed on both, you set it to "single mode" on the front panel.

If you want to control the TVs "independently", set it to "Dual Mode".

When in dual mode, the 2nd TV can still record to one tuner, and watch via the other...no switching from the front panel

Its more of a "one time" switch on the front panel.

I get all my channels, both SD and HD on the "2nd TV", which is only CRT anyway, but HD "format" (i.e. widescreen) is presented, and any content in HD, will be recorded in HD.

Upvote 0
Seemed pretty clear to me from the manual.

Dual Mode
While in Dual Mode, you can use this dual-tuner satellite receiver to watch different programming in two separate locations:
• Nearby TV—Programming from the receiver is delivered to the TV near the receiver using short audio/video cables and is controlled using Remote Control 1. The nearby TV is also referred to as “TV1.”
• Remote TV—Programming from the receiver is delivered to a TV located in another room using existing in-home coaxial cable and is controlled using Remote Control 2. The video displayed on the remote TV is always in standard definition (SD). High-definition satellite programming can be viewed on the remote TV; however, it is down-converted for viewing on the remote TV. The remote TV is also referred to as “TV2.”

Single Mode
Single Mode provides dual-tuner receiver features—like Picture-in-Picture (PIP) and the ability to watch one live program while recording another—to all connected TVs.
Single Mode delivers the same programming to all of the TVs connected to the satellite receiver and allows control by either remote control. The format of the programming shown on the remote TV(s) is standard-definition (SD); high-definition (HD) is shown only on the nearby TV. High-definition programming can be viewed at either TV location; however, it is down-converted for viewing on the remote TV. You can tell you are in Single Mode because the front panel mode indicator will light and the menus and other screens will display Single Mode (as shown below).

Upvote 0
Seemed pretty clear to me from the manual...

Fair enough, but you make it seem like "everytime you want to view different content on the 2nd TV, independent from the first, you need to manually adjust the STB", and that the 2nd TV is "disabled" at some point, neither of which are correct.

The functionality of (4) STB and (4) TVs on Fios the same as with Dish, except with Dish, I can record (2) channels, while watching a 3rd "OTA channel", via the antenna input (and vice-versa).

Connectivity of (4) TVs is slightly easier, and cheaper, on Dish vs. Fios however Fios most likely has a much clearer picture, not having seen it. I'd just rather not have a $200 TV bill, to replace what I'm getting via Dish.

Upvote 0
Fair enough, but you make it seem like "everytime you want to view different content on the 2nd TV, independent from the first, you need to manually adjust the STB", and that the 2nd TV is "disabled" at some point, neither of which are correct.

The functionality of (4) STB and (4) TVs on Fios the same as with Dish, except with Dish, I can record (2) channels, while watching a 3rd "OTA channel", via the antenna input (and vice-versa).

Connectivity of (4) TVs is slightly easier, and cheaper, on Dish vs. Fios however Fios most likely has a much clearer picture, not having seen it. I'd just rather not have a $200 TV bill, to replace what I'm getting via Dish.

Well, they don't specifically state whether or not record while viewing another channel is available in dual mode, so I assumed that you couldn't given that there are only two tuners, but perhaps the recording doesn't actually use a tuner since it could just record the MPEG4 stream to disk. What do they consider the tuner anyway? The thing getting the MPEG4 stream from the satellite or the decoder of the stream? Anyway, I believe you. I am not saying that the FiOS DVR is better than the 622/722, just that all my TV's are high def and the standard def output would be a waste for me. Plus I don't lose my tv when a thunderstorm goes through anymore. :D

Upvote 0
Well, they don't specifically state whether or not record while viewing another channel is available in dual mode, so I assumed that you couldn't given that there are only two tuners, but perhaps the recording doesn't actually use a tuner since it could just record the MPEG4 stream to disk. What do they consider the tuner anyway? The thing getting the MPEG4 stream from the satellite or the decoder of the stream? Anyway, I believe you. I am not saying that the FiOS DVR is better than the 622/722, just that all my TV's are high def and the standard def output would be a waste for me. Plus I don't lose my tv when a thunderstorm goes through anymore. :D

I never lost signal thru last week's blizzard...but when the wind blows hard enough, I lose my HD feed. :thinking:

...some jack-legged 3rd party dish techs they use.

:p

I've had the "2nd TV" feed on a 1280x1024 PC monitor...HD feed looked fine. I'm watching "Forbidden Planet" on HDNet in letterbox now (lol...laser beams are slow), on 13" CRT...CRT never looked so good.;)

edit - My bad, it only TCM.

Upvote 0
I never lost signal thru last week's blizzard...but when the wind blows hard enough, I lose my HD feed. :thinking:

...some jack-legged 3rd party dish techs they use.

:p

I've had the "2nd TV" feed on a 1280x1024 PC monitor...HD feed looked fine. I'm watching "Forbidden Planet" on HDNet in letterbox now (lol...laser beams are slow), on 13" CRT...CRT never looked so good.;)

edit - My bad, it only TCM.

Yea, CRT is the best device for watching SD feeds, SD looked incredible on my (retired) Toshiba 42 inch crt rear projector. But to bring this back somewhat on topic, have you tried to access the SlingGuide to control your dvr from the droid yet?

Upvote 0
Yea, CRT is the best device for watching SD feeds, SD looked incredible on my (retired) Toshiba 42 inch crt rear projector. But to bring this back somewhat on topic, have you tried to access the SlingGuide to control your dvr from the droid yet?

No longer have the Droid, but n900 can do the same "web access" (Flash support) to the Dishbox, and slingbox, as Fios does with the STB app...seems to be the new thing nowadays.

I didn't think much about "just having remote record control", especially since I already had a sling/WinMo solution, but when I switched to the Droid, I was able to record some playoff games that I had forgot were coming on, while out running errands.

Upvote 0
No longer have the Droid, but n900 can do the same "web access" (Flash support) to the Dishbox, and slingbox, as Fios does with the STB app...seems to be the new thing nowadays.

I didn't think much about "just having remote record control", especially since I already had a sling/WinMo solution, but when I switched to the Droid, I was able to record some playoff games that I had forgot were coming on, while out running errands.

What! {looks at top of web page} Yep.. GET OUT!!!! :D

Upvote 0
I downloaded the app and set up the widget but I am unable to make a connection. I've seen in the comments of the market page that I am not the only one with the problem and some people have fixed it.

If you've had the problem and got it to work, can you please post.

I have already tried unregistering the phone and registering again. I also uninstalled and re-installed the app.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the app and set up the widget but I am unable to make a connection. I've seen in the comments of the market page that I am not the only one with the problem and some people have fixed it.

If you've had the problem and got it to work, can you please post.

I have already tried unregistering the phone and registering again. I also uninstalled and re-installed the app.

Are you connected to your home WiFi? It only works through the WiFi router that verizon supplied. If you are connected to 3G or 1x it won't work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones