1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Droid getting slower

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by almahix, Mar 7, 2011.

1. almahix

almahix Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    Retired software whore
    Southern CA
    The last few times I have loaded a new ROM I get outstanding performance on my phone, even the launcher (launcher 2 pro plus), but as time goes by, the phone gets slower and slower, until it is virtually useless. I have tried clearing cache, moving apps to sd to make more ram available, and using swapper2. I even tried ADW launcher with the same poor performance, and experimented with different kernel speeds than my maximum 1100mhz.

I am now at the point where I want to throw the phone out the window. While awaiting the next CM stable release (I have 6.1.2) I have tried downloading other ROMs with ROM Manager, but they usually get stuck downloading at 2-3%.

Can someone please recommend other things I can do to restore the phone's performance. I am really frustrated, but I can't fathom having a different OS than Android.

:thinking:

Advertisement

2. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I'm at the same juncture, and it's the driving factor behind my being ready to move away from my Droid. The Bionic just can't get here quick enough.

I'm still messing around trying to find the right ROM. You're doing the right things, don't forget to clear your Dalvik cache about once a week, too. It's about the only suggestion I can make.

3. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Oddly, I am rooted, but on the stock rom and I don't seem to have these issues. Since I solved the redraw issues, the only problem arise when I have a bunch of things happening at once (like a number of apps updating, music playing and I try to do one more thing). In normal usage it never really bogs down. Could it be that the stock app management does a better job? Or do the custom roms use that same manager?

4. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    I'm on CM 6.2 and don't seems to have any problems. In fact I've never had a rom 'slow down' over time. I was using Sapphire 0.6.2 for months before that. But I use seperate batteries and a battery only charger, so the rebooting to change out batteries might be the trick as it has been said that the rebooting process cleans out parts of your cache as well.

good luck

5. supasizefries

supasizefries Newbie
    None

Nov 1, 2010
    I play with chemicals.
    NJ
    Just my own experience, I almost never get any slow ups using Project Elite 4.2 It's been the best ROM so far for my Droid.

Did you do a clean install when you flashed the ROM?

6. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    sorry to hear of your problems. I must been one of the lucky ones as I have had no real slowdown. I did in the begining but for the life of me I cant remember how it got fixed.

7. srothkin

srothkin Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Ossining, NY
    Mine seems like it starts slowing down after 3-4 days have gone by since the last reboot. Rebooting typically clears it up. CM 6.1.2.

8. tward09

tward09 Newbie
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    I've had the same problems. I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible, but I want a new phone so badly. It used to be exciting flashing new ROMs, but now it's a struggle. And unfortunately for me, my phone slows down a lot and I flash new ROMs daily. If anyone doesn't want their Droid X or Droid Incredible and loves giving things away for free, hit me up.

9. almahix

None

Dec 12, 2009
    Retired software whore
    Southern CA
    While installing cm 7.2 rc 2 I discovered that as I moved more and more applications to the sd the response on the droid seem to be a longer and longer. That makes perfectly good sense since the access time to the sd is certainly greater than to ram. It never occurred to me before but now it makes perfectly good sense. I think of the solution to my problem is a phone with more memory.

10. Coronach

Coronach Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    LEO
    Columbus, OH
    How did you do this? Fix homescreen in memory?

Mike

11. Coronach

None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    LEO
    Columbus, OH
    I'm having mostly lag issues with the homescreen redraw (and scrolling, which I imagine is a subset of the same problem). I fixed it for a minute with UD, recreated it by adding LauncherPro, and now I think I took the hint and canned LP and am just using the 'stock' launcher app for UD. One thing I've always read is that you can keep lag to a minimum by making sure that any apps with widgets are in phone memory, not SD card memory. I also have read that a faster SD card helps, too. I'm sure that's common knowledge for most, but n00bs might not know it.

As to managing lag in application use, I've been keeping apps that I use a LOT on the phone and moving everything else to the card. I don't mind a bit of lag as an infrequently used app starts, but it does get annoying if it is one you use a bunch, and I really HATE the lag when I try to move between things. That gets so old, so fast. So, I use a balanced approach. If it's going to annoy me if it hangs, it stays on the phone. Otherwise, it's on the SD card.

Mike

12. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Yes, I used the code entry described here in this forum. I will track it down and paste it . . . hold on . . . OK, here it is:

In a terminal,
    type su and enter.
    Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter.
    Then reboot.

In fact, I think my installing a custom ROM must have undone this somehow because I have gotten the redraw twice since I flashed it. I will walk through this again right now.

BTW, by "in a terminal", what they meant was using an app like Terminal Emulator which is kind of like a c: prompt on a PC.

highosthunter and almahix like this.
  13. Coronach

None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    LEO
    Columbus, OH
    Gotcha. Anyone know if the "keep home in memory" checkbox on UD does the same thing? Or should I do this in lieu of that?

Mike

14. almahix

None

Dec 12, 2009
    Retired software whore
    Southern CA
    Vance, had quite forgotten that terminal command. I have added to the SD card on my phone so I can re-enter it when I flash a new rom. Thanks so much for the reminder!!

15. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    You know, it may be that the CM 'keep home in memory' is exactly that, just that known fix built into the system. You could try it first and see if it fixes the problem and save yourself the terminal interface (that text is tiny!).

No problem, Almahix! I have it stored in my Evernote in case I ever need it!

16. (G)

(G) Android Expert

Can't directly answer your question, but when I turned "keep home in memory" in UD 2.5 it ended the 10-20-second lag when coming back to the home screen after being in an app.

17. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    I've got a file I made for the redraw fix because the fix gets wiped whenever you do a data/cache wipe inbetween rom installs. It's in my file link in my sig. Look for the one that's named ReDrawFix_update.zip. Apply it the usualy way with your favorite custom recovery and viola!

good luck

18. almahix

None

Dec 12, 2009
    Retired software whore
    Southern CA
    I did a nandroid backup in anticipation of going back to 6.1.2 or even stock fyoyo. When I rebooted the droid everything seemed to be the working normally again except of course bluetooth. Am I going to have to keep doing this in order to keep this phone running? Can't wait til July to get a more powerful phone. I think thus one is getting ready for the big sleep.