• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid, how to stop the music app

Okay, this is a HUGE pain in my opinion. I get that you Linux peeps are all about this is not Windows O/S and you don't NEED to stop applications running in the background, however... MUSIC MAKES NOISE! If you need to kill that noise quickly, you need a STOP/END/EXIT button/function.

Also, what if you want to exit another app quickly, just by itself? Maybe you downloaded some forbidden app and the wifey is hovering nearby? Good grief, is it too much to ask for a simple button that STOPS/ENDS/EXITS the freaking app? Sigh.

This really needs to be in the next version. Believe it or not, sometimes I'm really done with an app until I want to use it again.

Upvote 0
Not really sure when the Music player decides to fire up, but it goes on when I don't want it on.
I put 4 mp3 files in the music directory.
They played fine, but I press the pause button and the play timer blinks as though it's waiting to be restarted.
When I get into my car and the bluetooth(which is always on), connects to my car, I often hear an mp3 file playing, but not always.
There are no items in my playlist.
I installed AppKiller a day ago, but the music player still started up once.
I don't go to the music player. It just starts.
My best idea is to remove the mp3 files and not use the music player.
I'll move it to my home screen to get quicker on the draw, but it is a problem when it starts up as I make a call.
Any other good ideas?
writhum - I'm interested in your experiences with other players, too.
And I definitely put my vote in for a Stop button.

Thanks,
Mike

Upvote 0
Hey,

I have found if you want to kill stuff all together just get an application killer. I am using advanced app killer (free) I can select certain apps to kill and just set the widget on the home page and it will just kill whatever I have checked. In my case I just kill everything. Kills/shutsdown everything from music, navigation, skype and everything else. Works well for me.

Upvote 0
Pause works just fine for me. Im not getting this. Pause=stop. I use mine every day never had a problem with the pause/stop button.

Is it that people don't realize that pause is stop or is something else going on.

OK after reading what I said it might look like I'm being a smarta$$ but I'm not. I am seriously just trying to understand exactly what the problem is so I can try to find a solution. If someone could explain why pause isn't working I'd love to know what it is thats happening.

Upvote 0
one of the major flaws in android software is the lack of a CLOSE APPLICATIONS button. whether it effects performance or not its a pain to have all that crap running all the time. when I'm in a hurry I don't want to have to choose between a million running apps.

I'm curious if you notice a difference when you close the apps vs letting the phone do it's thing. I understand for many it drives them crazy that apps are running that they don't want to run. Its been debated over and over again. I found that the proof is in the pudding. You should do some tests to see if the phone does what it is supposed to do and try leaving it alone for a while. I would hate to see you spend all this time trying to find ways to close these apps only to find out that the performance of your phone isn't affected by it. I'm not going to argue one way or another, but I would try both ways several times to accurately test it out. When I was on 2.0, my own testing proved that an app killer was beneficial. Now that I am on 2.2, I find that it is NOT.

Upvote 0
well on my droid if I let it do its thing ,it just came on by it self I plugged in the head phones and the mp3 was playing. I wanted to play a game and the mp3 kept starting over an over after i put it on pause. till i found out that if u do what i did above it will turn it off. of course it was today before i found it out.

Upvote 0
well on my droid if I let it do its thing ,it just came on by it self I plugged in the head phones and the mp3 was playing. I wanted to play a game and the mp3 kept starting over an over after i put it on pause. till i found out that if u do what i did above it will turn it off. of course it was today before i found it out.

Wow thats interesting! I tried it and couldnt get it to work...:thinking:

Upvote 0
I've been reading this thread and have the same problem. Using the EVO 4G with Android 2.2.

There is no way to turn off the music app, or uninstall it. I can only pause the song. It's particularly annoying with bluetooth in my car where the default is for this app to play. A phone call interrupts it. If I want to use Pandora I have to manually pause the music app or both will play at the same time.

Advanced App Killler does NOT stop the music app. Actually it hardly kills any apps, except for a minute or less, after which most of them reappear.

I completely agree with comments here that android developers need to add a button or setting to stop an app, as well as to prevent it from loading in the first place if desired by the user.

BTW several other apps display the same behavior, but are not as annoying because I can't hear them.

Upvote 0
The music app on my moto droid also starts playing random mp3's when:
1. I place the droid in my car dock and connect an aux cable
2. I connect to my planetronics bluetooth headset
3. When I disconnect the headphones or aux cable and plug it back in (this usually happens while I'm doing yard work and the cable gets caught on something).

There may be other occasions when this happens but I haven't been paying close attention to what I was doing at the time.

The music player will start playing at the same time I'm listening to Listen, Pandora, Last FM, etc...

This is a real pita... does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones