• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DROID Incredible random restart/reboot problem

I have had my DI for several months and started having random reboots within the last three weeks (around October 25, 2010). It started with the youtube app but was only a few times a day and in assoication with youtube. So I quit using youtube and did not have that problem any more.
Now Today, November 15, 2010, I lost track of the number of times that my DI rebooted; some times several times in a row. Once it would not leave the HTC logo from the reboot, so I poped the batery out. It rebooted again. I took out my memory card and it rebooted again. I Thought that it might be from email but i cannot remove email from the phone, try as i might but email seams not to be uninstalable. I just had an update installed yesterday and the rebooting went from a random occourance to a constant all day occourance. I don't know all of what was in that update- can you uninstal an update?
I gave up on my phone and took the batery out- Teresteral Radio is annoying I have become adicted to I Heart Radio, and neeed my DI to go back to it's dependable self. As for my location, Northern Utah is my home, so this problem is not a NC only problem.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear. It sounds like your phone has a hardware defect or corrupt operating system and needs replacement. As a last resort, you can try a factory reset (all data will be lost). You can't uninstall the update unless your phone is rooted and that won't help much now since your phone isn't stable enough to boot. There may be some very advanced methods to root and reinstall the OS, but unless you're an Android super geek, I don't think that's an option.

How to Backup before a factory reset:

Make sure your contacts are synced with www.gmail.com and be sure to export your contacts to a file at www.gmail.com

How to Backup Contacts from Gmail: All contacts should be at www.gmail.com While at www.gmail.com using your PC, go to Contacts and be sure to export your contacts to a file as a backup: More Actions, Export, All Contacts, Google CSV format. Save the file on your PC and be sure to date the file for future reference.

How to Backup Contacts to SDCard: Open People App, Menu, Import/Export, Export to SD Card. Select your google account to backup all contacts. You can also backup "phone" contacts (you shouldn't have more than a couple - like your personal contact card).

More Contact Backup Details: http://androidforums.com/incredible-tips-tricks/172269-how-disable-backup-assistant.html#post1554790

Also See - How to Backup your phone:
http://androidforums.com/incredible...most-everything-before-ruu-factory-reset.html

FACTORY RESET:

There are two types of memory on the phone. Phone memory and SDCARD memory.
When you wipe the phone, it DOES erase your personal data on the Phone memory. You can also FORMAT your SDCARD to erase that data.

Performing a hard/factory reset
You can return your phone to its original state, as it was when it left the factory. This is also called a hard reset. You might want to do this if you are giving your phone to a friend or relative and you want to remove all your data first, or if your phone has a persistent problem that is not solved by powering off the phone and then powering it on again.

A factory reset is a drastic measure. It permanently erases all your personal data and customized settings, and also removes any programs you have installed. Make sure that you have backed up the information and files you want to keep.

If your phone hangs or freezes, we recommend that you do a “soft” reset instead of a hard/factory reset. To perform a soft reset, remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, and then re-install it. After re-installing the battery, turn on the phone.

Performing a factory reset via settings

The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings.
Press HOME > MENU, then tap Settings.
Scroll down the screen, and then tap Privacy > Factory data reset.
On the Factory data reset screen, tap
Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.

Performing a factory reset using phone buttons

If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.
With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.

Wait for the screen with the 3 Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.

Press VOLUME DOWN to select
CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER.
When asked to confirm, press VOLUME UP.

Upvote 0
after several months of pure bliss my phone started rebooting. Sometimes it locks up or reboots while playing world series of poker, or more often reboots while surfing the net using the included browser. Seems to happen even with good signal strength.

When it happens (the sudden reboot issue), it continues rebooting about every 7-8 seconds until I pull out the battery and leave it out for a minute or so.

I'm running 2.2. I have not been able to pinpoint what may have been installed when it started.

I ran the "clear storage" process in the boot menu to restore to factory settings, and started setting it up again from scratch. Again saw reboot, so removed extra SD card, but within a day it started again, while surfing net.

Upvote 0
I have recently been experiencing random shut down now that I am in South Florida (Boca Raton). Possibly it could be because of a built-in shut down when the battery or components overheat. Has anyone investigated this possibiity. Are you experiencing shut down even when the unit is cool?

When I was having that problem, I thought it might be heat related as well. But then it did it when it was nice and cool. That's my experience.

Upvote 0
I've been having random reboots around the time 2.2 came out. I've finally decided to try and fix it (been waiting for a software update to fix it) and a Google search brought me to this forum.

I have a tough time believing the problem is caused by installing 3rd party software. Shouldn't a modern day OS be able to protect itself from buggy software. I would hope so (but maybe that's wishful thinking).

Cell tower weakness? How could a weak connection cause a reboot unless it were some hardware problem in the phone? No signal coming into the phone should cause it to reboot.

I tend to agree with the temperature problem that the phone reboots when it's hot and there is no software workaround. I have not tried a factory reset yet. I'm not sure if I should try that first or just try a new phone.

First thing I'm trying is changing my System Select to Home only. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Upvote 0
I have some more evidence for the overheating theory. My phone takes off into endless loops after 10 to 15 minutes of activity such as gps use, web surfing or vpn browsing via rdp on my office machine. I have found NO WAY to stop the looping except a battery pull for at least 10 minutes. The battery is always hot, even more so if it's been looping a long time. It will not stop by itself.

Today (in Phoenix, 75 degrees) it starting looping, so I immediately stuck it over the air conditioner vent in the car. After 2 more cycles the loops stopped and it went back to its placid self. It did it again tonight in the hotel, so I stuck it in the freezer compartment--it stopped in about a minute, 1 more loop.

This is a testable hypothesis, but trying to go by the feel of the case is not sufficient evidence.

I'd like to see if others can replicate this cooling solution, because then we will be onto the solution.

herb

Upvote 0
Maybe different phones have different causes for this problem. My phone was definitely not overheating when I had the problem. It could be sitting out on the table and then I would hear the telltale startup vibration, look over, and see the boot screen.

All I can say is that for me, the 2.2 update solved the problem. Haven't had a single random reboot since then. Also replaced my wife's old LG Chocolate with a new Incredible last week, which has 2.2 preinstalled, and no problems so far on her phone.

Upvote 0
I have some more evidence for the overheating theory. My phone takes off into endless loops after 10 to 15 minutes of activity such as gps use, web surfing or vpn browsing via rdp on my office machine. I have found NO WAY to stop the looping except a battery pull for at least 10 minutes. The battery is always hot, even more so if it's been looping a long time. It will not stop by itself.

Today (in Phoenix, 75 degrees) it starting looping, so I immediately stuck it over the air conditioner vent in the car. After 2 more cycles the loops stopped and it went back to its placid self. It did it again tonight in the hotel, so I stuck it in the freezer compartment--it stopped in about a minute, 1 more loop.

This is a testable hypothesis, but trying to go by the feel of the case is not sufficient evidence.

I'd like to see if others can replicate this cooling solution, because then we will be onto the solution.

herb

That's the only way mine would stop, if I removed the battery for a bit. Not usually 10 minutes, but at least 5.

Regardless, it is unacceptable and you should try a factory reset, or just get a replacement. FWIW, the guy in the store that replaced mine seemed very knowledgeable, hadn't heard of any phones restarting.

Upvote 0
Tried the "changing my System Select to Home only" suggestion and no difference. Random reboots still occur. Debating doing a factory reset versus returning it.
I also tried the *228 option 2 that someone suggested and that didn't make a difference.

So I called up Verizon and they shipped me out a replacement phone. Too early to be certain but so far the replacement phone seems to have fixed the problem. Unfortunately the replacement phone is a refurbished phone whose screen had some scratches. Not really visible during normal usage. The screen also isn't as vibrant. Not sure if it's the LCD version. All the hardware/software version numbers matched up between the old and new phone.

I'll be keeping this replacement phone as long as the reboots do not come back.

Upvote 0
My 2.2 DINC with lastest OTA (been over a couple of weeks) while plugged in as usual overnight, resting on my nightstand, announced "DROID" and woke me up. I looked over and the phone had obviously rebooted itself. This is the only time this has happened to my DINC.

I don't find anything out of the ordinary on the phone. Any clues why it would reboot itself without being asked? Logs or something?

Upvote 0
Problem Solved - Freeze it

Hopefully this post will help people out, but before I begin, I would like to offer some background information...

• I would just like to say that i've owned this phone since this very first day it came out
  • I am now currently on my third HTC Incredible
  • I have always been a fan of this phone other than this very specific instance for all the reasons that are advertised (lets be honest... its a pretty awesome phone)
  • I am not an HTC employee nor do I work for any other phone related organization
  • I'm creating this post simply because I do have some legitimate concerns for the safety of people who own it and are having the same problem

When the problem begins...

Like most of the people on this forum you've probably been wondering why your phone keeps randomly restarting itself. Sometimes it'll happen when you're using Google Maps w/GPS, using moving backgrounds, downloading random content (videos, streaming music etc.) or perhaps you're just charging your phone or simply talking on it...

What the reaction is...

So it becomes incredibly frustrating (no pun intended) when you're trying to do something useful and your phone all of a sudden decides to do a "death-loop" cycle (as i've come to call it) ...rendering your phone useless for a set period of time (minutes, hours, or an entire day in my case). The phone shuts down, restarts, shuts down, restarts... etc. You try holding down the power, restarting it, doing a hard reset and even taking out the battery in the hopes that it'll solve the issue. And as almost everyone in this forum has noted... it doesn't really help.

What the problem is...

The problem is really quite simple. Your very very powerful totally awesome phone is doing waaaaay too much mult-tasking and processing to the point that it begins to overheat and becomes unstable. Much like a regular computer... it crashes, restarts, and will continue to do so until environmental conditions for the components change. If you've ever seen a laptop become clogged with dust and overheat you'll notice it does the same thing to the point where it wont even boot up anymore (most likely due to a fried motherboard).

How you can test this theory...

Multi-task it! Turn on wi-fi, gps, play videos, and literally anything else under the sun until the phone begins to overheat and crashes. On brand new phones (out of the box... not refurbs) this usually wont cause an issue right away, but I guarantee that on a long enough timeline... this will inevitably lead to a system/hardware crash and will perminantly cause irreperable damage to phone and increase the probability that such events occur.
Put it in the sun. Yes, believe it or not... you can even cause a death-loop cycle by leaving it on your dashboard while driving or even taking it to the beach and leaving it out in direct sun-light (usually longer than 10 minutes). My first perfect recipe for disaster occurred when I was driving to school (45 minute long drive to Santa Monica) and i had the phone resting on the dashboard while playing Pandora radio and charging at the same time. The phones starting restarting, was noticeably hot to the touch, and didn't get out of the "deathloop cycle" for about 20 straight hours. Why did it keep going in the death loop cycle up for 20 straight hours...? I'll explain this next.

Newtons First Law of Overheating

An HTC Incredible in a deathloop cycle will remain in a deathloop cycle until acted upon by an outside force. Upon observation and taking some notes it appears that once a "deathloop cycle" starts it will remain in the deathloop cycle until the environmental conditions change. This means that your phone will continue to restart until it cools down.
"So why does it keep restarting, shoudn't that help?", you ask? Well, a restart actually causes the phone to do quite a bit of "work" and therefore releases a significant amount of energy similar to the conditions that caused it to restart in the first place. So instead of the "habitual restarting" actually solving the problem... it actually makes it worse by having a resonance like effect.

How you can fix it...

Quite frankly... you can't fix it. But what you can do to minimize the symptoms or to prevent a deathloop cycle is to stick your phone in the fridge or freezer until it cools down enough to become operationally stable. I say again... THIS WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM... but will at least make your phone usable for a short period of time (until it reheats again). And yes, I do feel rather stupid for having been over at a friends house (who just so happens to own an iPhone) and tell him that I need to use his fridge to cool down my phone so i can use it.

What Verizon will tell you...

"We've never come across that problem before" is I'm sure the statement you've heard most often from Verizon employees. The truth to the matter is that they are all trained to say this because they have to be cognitively aware that other customers in the store might overhear you complaining and decide not to buy the phone. Likewise, I know this is true because its a theory i've tried and tested...
The first time I had a problem I brought my phone into the Verizon store and a guy (lets call him "Brad") said he had never heard of the problem (Keep in mind he also owns the same phone and is most likely legitimately curious about the problem). We went through the motions, ordered a new phone, and I was on my way. 2 months later... i bring it back to the same guy and again he states "Never heard of the problem".
Unless he's had a mild stroke and checking my customer record does ring a bell... he's completely lying to me.Very very poor decision...

Remember the Recall Formula

Take the number of phones consumers have in the field, (A), and multiply it by the probable rate of failure, (B), then multiply the result by the average out-of-court settlement, (C).
(A) times (B) times (C) = (X) ...

If X is less than the cost of a recall, Verizon or HTC won't do one!
...in short, this deniability is all about money and Verizon/HTC will never come out with a recall or fix because quite frankly its too costly to their profit margins. Remember... they're a business and not the Red Cross.

Why this problem can feasible become dangerous and potentially life-threatening

Because I don't work for HTC i'm not entirely sure if they've been slapped with a lawsuit yet but I can guarantee that one is coming right around the corner (possibly even from myself). Believe me... there's a mountain of documented evidence on those Verizon systems and its only gonna get worse. But here's are a couple more observations...
The external temp of the phone, while on a deathloop cycle, can overheat in excess of 140 degrees (god knows what the internal temp is), which can be almost unbearable to the touch and will continue to sustain these excessive temperatures until you take the battery out. If you're not smart enough to do that (which I wasn't because I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off) this may inevitably cause internal combusion and can potentially start a fire. Leave it in a car, your house, or any other medium in direct sun-light while multitasking and I guarantee you're gonna have a major problem.
Verizon also can't claim they never heard of this problem because I brought it in to their store the other day and an employee also noted how "hot" the phone was. I made a side-joke and brushed it off, but did note that this was something they should seriously look into as it could potentially be dangerous.

Last thoughts

I really hope HTC looks into this problem and if anyone is willing to start a class action lawsuit, please let me know. I would be happy to construct a website (i'm a web developer) and begin an online petition for the recall or fixing of these devices. I honestly can't stand it when companies try to brush this off as if its nothing and then end up burning someones house down (literally).

I hope this has helped everyone who reads it and please be careful when using your device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones