• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid incredible wont reset

Okay, so i rooted my phone,, and i was extremely happy with it at first, I was giving people WiFi in class to ther gay lil ipods, and well for somereason, nothing will ever download, and I blamed the app "super user" because it would try to block any incoming files, idk why, obviously I did somthing wrong, so I went to the hboot menu and selected clear data, all it did was try to teach me how to use my keyboard, I didnt wanna mess anything up, so I went through with the process, and then nothing, all of my widgets wer still there and all my contacts, but not my apps, so now I try to do it again, all it does is show the HTC Incredible boot screen and then little black lines start going across the screen.. help me please.. I got insurance on the phone, so I may just drown it in a cup of water and get a new one.>;)

P.S. I wrote this with my Droid, so excuse any errors in the text

First of all - DO NOT DROWN YOUR PHONE - no matter how angry you are with it. Verizon insurance, nor MDPS will cover water damaged phones. If you must destroy your phone, throw it across a parking lot or something...but I doubt that is a necessary remedy to your problem.

Now - what actions are you attempting when you receive the boot screen and black lines? Are you dl apps?
When you rooted your phone - what directions/site did you use? You should have used Titanium backup immediately after rooting your phone - BEFORE you wiped the data. Used correctly, Titanium back would have put copies of your apps and app data onto your SD where they can be safely retrieved without issue.
Are you able to dl new apps from the marketplace?
Give details! I know it's tough typing all that out on your DINC....but try. You may find the answer you are looking for. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here at AF.

Upvote 0
First of all - DO NOT DROWN YOUR PHONE - no matter how angry you are with it. Verizon insurance, nor MDPS will cover water damaged phones. If you must destroy your phone, throw it across a parking lot or something...but I doubt that is a necessary remedy to your problem.

Now - what actions are you attempting when you receive the boot screen and black lines? Are you dl apps?
When you rooted your phone - what directions/site did you use? You should have used Titanium backup immediately after rooting your phone - BEFORE you wiped the data. Used correctly, Titanium back would have put copies of your apps and app data onto your SD where they can be safely retrieved without issue.
Are you able to dl new apps from the marketplace?
Give details! I know it's tough typing all that out on your DINC....but try. You may find the answer you are looking for. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here at AF.

IF you INTENTIONALLY DESTROY YOUR phone to file an insurance claim, that is INSURANCE FRAUD. (Oh and for the record, Asurion DOES cover water damage. Again intentionally drowning your phone to get an insurance replacement is fraud, but they do cover water damage.).

Reactions: shortansassy
Upvote 0
IF you INTENTIONALLY DESTROY YOUR phone to file an insurance claim, that is INSURANCE FRAUD. (Oh and for the record, Asurion DOES cover water damage. Again intentionally drowning your phone to get an insurance replacement is fraud, but they do cover water damage.).

Nice to know about ASURION. Thank you. And yes, you are correct - that is considered Insurance Fraud. Big NO NO. I should have mentioned that....

Upvote 0
Doing a factory reset on a rooted phone can be problematic. Theoretically it should bring you back to the first day you loaded your current ROM before you added any Apps or adjusted any settings. So when you had to go through setup again as you mentioned, that's exactly what happens.

When you did it a second time something may have borked. It sounds like you are becoming disenchanted with root. If that is tthe case you should run the RUU or use the hboot method of returning to stock. Both will also remove root in the process. There is a thread in the sticky of the root forum if you are interested. If you don't want to lose root, do a nandroid restore to a known stable configuration.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones