• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid is a mess

rockne

Nov 4, 2009
So last week I took my droid in due to a ton of issues (reboots, data not working, email a mess, gtalk cannot get a connection). The manager offered to replace it with a new droid but she did not have any in stock. We agreed that she could ship me one to an out of town location since I was traveling. Low and behold my phone shows up and it is a certified "like new" droid. The droid has a 1 year man warranty, and to me this is unacceptable. Has anyone else had to return there phone and what did they get when this happened. I was under the impression it would be a brand new phone...after all it is only 4 months old and with a 1 year and $300.00 price tag this seems really crappy.

toughts??

rockne

So last week I took my droid in due to a ton of issues (reboots, data not working, email a mess, gtalk cannot get a connection). The manager offered to replace it with a new droid but she did not have any in stock. We agreed that she could ship me one to an out of town location since I was traveling. Low and behold my phone shows up and it is a certified "like new" droid. The droid has a 1 year man warranty, and to me this is unacceptable. Has anyone else had to return there phone and what did they get when this happened. I was under the impression it would be a brand new phone...after all it is only 4 months old and with a 1 year and $300.00 price tag this seems really crappy.

toughts??

rockne

I feel ya, I used to feel the same way. But, if it makes you feel any better there's something to be said for the phones that go through (from what I understand to be) a more rigorous testing than the assembly-line new phones.

Before my Droid I had a Voyager. Or 7. The only one that lasted was the refurb I got after a buncha new ones.

*shrug*

I wouldn't worry about it. If that one has problems you can just return it, too.

Upvote 0
I had a unique problem with my first Droid. After about 2 weeks (that was before we got root so it was factory rom) I had an issue with the notification light. All notifications resulted in a flashing red light. I read that you could change notification lights with an app on the market ('Missed Call' I believe). So I downloaded it and of all the notification led options (red, blue, light blue, cyan, white, pink, etc.) only the Red and Blue lights worked.

I reset to factory default and wiped all data but the problem remained. No issues with the new phone.

Upvote 0
I'm on my second Droid - one day the first Droid wouldn't re-boot and got stuck on the Motorola symbol. Verizon called it "incomplete wake-up." It was after 30 days, so I got a refurb. It works fine and looks new. However, over time I've noticed some subtle fit-and-finish issues. The headphone jack is not snug (but so far, no static or drop out on either channel). I can see a line of white light coming up from under the 4 navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen. The spacebar on the physical keyboard looks and feels a little lopsided - but it works fine. But none of these is bad enough to justify a return and like I said, everything works fine. So far, nothing to really complain about with the refurb that isn't probably present to some degree on all Droids...

Upvote 0
another thing to note about refurbished is it doesn't necessarily mean something was wrong with the phone and it was fixed, tested, and given out as a refurb. more often than not, refurbs are just items someone had for a few days, didn't like, and returned. it gets put through the string of testing and is then given out.

my mom always acts like a refurb is more prone to breaking because "something was wrong with it to begin with" and that is just not the case all the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones