1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Droid is slow, Apps crash, and battery sucks.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sharf, Jul 10, 2011.

1. sharf

sharf Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    I got a moto droid a little over a year ago, when my dad and I both upgraded under the buy 1 get 1 free deal. My dad's droid works just fine, no lag, no crash the original battery lasts a full day of use (he's on his phone almost ALL day)

My phone, besides having a few issues from day one (such as the micro usb port not holding cord very well), worked fine for a while. However, after going away to school, and getting the 2.2 upgrade, it started to lag, most noticeably the home screen, which I've read is a 2.2 issue. However, my phone crashes out of apps (not force close, just crashes to home screen, or lack there of) frequently. I can't load web pages without crashing and restarting the browser(or skyfire) 2 or 3 times. Going into the system, changing settings, like wifi and bluetooth, take forever, and my battery barely lasts 6 hours, on a full charge, with no phone calls or any use, just sitting on my desk all day.

What could be the cause of my phone crashing and causing these issues?
    I Have tried moving as many apps as I can to SD card, stripping my phone of most apps, and disabling any app that may be running in the background. Still no luck, and I'm just short of factory reset, since I can't get another phone for a while...

Because of all the trouble I'm having I'm seriously considering ditching droids...I'd like to resolve this problem to restore my faith in the android.

Thanks, sharf.

Advertisement

2. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI
    You could try moving all the apps from the SD Card to the phone and see if that helps. It could be issues with your SD card... You could try reformatting the SD card or even replacing it entirely.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to try the factory reset...

It is a phone that is 2 years old. Nothing lasts forever unfortunately.

3. sharf

sharf Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    Last time I got help with this issue was because the SD card was not mounted properly, it slipped out of the slot. The issue seems to be that my SD card slot is loose so the card shifts out of position easily...and I have tried other SD cards with no change...

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Hmm, that's weird - sounds like a part of that SD mount is not working correctly - mine is rock solid stuck in the phone with no movement whatsover, and I bought my phone on DROID drop day (aka 6 Nov 2009).

How old is your phone?

5. sharf

sharf Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    I've had it for a little over a year now. New SD cards don't make a difference, and my SD card wiggles, my dad's does not. Also with the apps moved to the phone they crash just as often. Sometimes the phone freezes then rebotos randomly, or gets frozen with the backlights all on, with nothing on screen and it wont respond to any buttons...

6. Wpz2000

Wpz2000 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    Male
    Semiconductor Test Engineer, 3D Technology Develop
    Westchester, NY
    Move your apps to the phone and leave the SD slot empty. See how that works. If it definitely crashes less then the slot was probably loose and may have corrupted some stuff (hence still crashing), then next step would be to reset the phone and try again (with SD slot empty).

If it doesn't crash anymore, then you've solved the problem - broken SD slot.