1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Droid just died....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by moleharris, Jan 16, 2011.

1. moleharris

moleharris Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    My Motorola Droid died last night after a little over a year. I had it in my pocket and was out in the rain, but it didn't really seem to get wet so I'm not sure if that's the issue. When I got to my destination it still worked for a bit, and then suddenly would not turn on at all.

A few minutes after dying, it briefly flashed a screen that had some plain white text saying things like "no code" and "plug in USB" (bootloader screen?). I haven't been able to get any other response from the phone since then. I tried the power+X combo as well and got no response.

I tried another battery (my fiance has one too) and that didn't help. I plugged it into a charger, and via USB to my laptop and neither worked. Strangely, if I plug it in to my laptop with the battery out, and then put in the battery, I get the normal laptop sound when I plug in a device, like even though it's dead my laptop still can see it.

For reference, I have never rooted the phone, so it's all the same as it was when I bought it. I took it to the Verizon store and they told me I'm pretty much screwed, if it won't come on there really isn't anything they can do. Sadly, I did not get insurance.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Advertisement

2. riffdex

riffdex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    I am sorry for your loss, when is the funeral? :/

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Verizon would even TRY to reflash it? That sucks.

You're making me nervous about MY Droid going south. It's a tragedy when someone posts about the death of their beloved Droid. I'm sorry about your loss as well, and respectfully suggest SquareTrade warranty service for your next device (as opposed to Asurion - cheaper and more comprehensive).

Maybe you can find a suitable replacement online somewhere.

Sad. :(

CBCS likes this.
  4. moleharris

moleharris Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    The funeral will be after the autopsy, probably.

5. riffdex

riffdex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    I'm sorry your Droid died ): We just have to stand together and comfort each other at these times. Apple fanboys had to go through with this a year ago when the iPhone died d:

Btw: A similar thing happened to an ERIS I own. It was actually dropped in beer and completely drenched (yes beer) and not found until the morning - don't ask.
    I tried to turn the phone on but no success (I would turn it on and see the screen light up but a similar thing would display on the screen and nothing would happen) so the next idea was putting it in rice. After that, it wasn't fixed so I called Assurion and got a replacement. I just put it in a drawer and forgot about it. About a month later I took it out and just randomly tried to turn it on and it turned on and works perfectly. As far as I can tell, everything is working on it. Don't ask me how this phone could have survived being drowned in beer, but it happened. This ERIS was a fighter lol... What I'm trying to get across is, sometimes putting a phone in rice might not be enough to really dry out all the inside. I feel like it must have just been drying out over the time I left it in the drawer and finally got back to normal.

6. moleharris

moleharris Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Yeah, I have an old phone I'll probably have VZ activate again, and give it a few days before declaring her fully toast. Hopefully it will be like yours and she'll just fire up again like normal after a couple of days.

7. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere
    Where do we send flowers?
    Burial or cremation?
    And where would one scatter their Droid's ashes?

May your Droid be in a better place, where bootlooping and bricking do not exist and no water may touch it. Amen.

8. dasanman69

dasanman69 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    There are plenty for sale online. Got one in great shape for $80 on Craigslist.

9. moleharris

moleharris Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Thanks! It looks like there are a few decent deals on Craigslist.

10. Mameh

Mameh Lurker
    None

May 6, 2010
    We just had one Motorola Droid that went dead. It was a little bit more than one year old. We thought it was the battery so bought a new one. Verizon won't even refund or buy the battery back even though we are long time loyal customer of Verizon. Will be moving on to another carrier and will no longer buy a Motorola!