1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Droid lost on motorcycle/smashed by car-Best way to replace?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bobo, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Bobo

Bobo Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Took a ride on my motorcycle last night with Droid in clip on case on my pocket. Drove about 1 1/2 miles when I realized it had fallen out of its holder. I back tracked and found nothing. Then my wife and I took my truck and went along the same route-nothing. Then (at this point mainly worrying about all the data in it if someone had picked it up) I walked with a flashlight the whole route while looking off the side of the road-still nothing. This morning I decided to take my bicycle and give it another try. About 1 mile from my house I spotted the rubber protector that surrounds the screen still near the edge of the road. I got off the bike and found the main section in a hedge so I have the battery and sim card. About 30 ft further I found the screen folded over and crushed. So I guess the battery and card might be ok but the rest is trashed. This one is insured by Asurion with an $89. deductible. (I ran over my previous Droid with my riding mower just this last May and I had to pay full price for a new one as it was not insured). I started a claim online with Asurion and the Droids are on backorder according to the site. I did this last night and reported it lost and possibly then stolen. Now at least I have the pieces.Does anyone think I might have a chance to get it replaced at the Verizon store? Or is that just a pipe dream? I'm open to suggestions. And yup, sometimes I just suck:mad: And I apologize because I posted this somewhere else in the forum but I don't know where.

Advertisement

2. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    First off, you don't have a SIM card in your droid, you have an SD card. And no, Verizon isn't going to help you out on this one. I had my Motorola Q go out of my pocket on the road and after 2 hours of searching I found it run over by a car and demolished. The only thing you can do is replace it with your insurance. If the D1's are on backorder did you get a chance to pick anything else?

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    After much haggling I agreed to the Incredible. I was never fond of the slide out keyboard anyway.

4. a0865469

a0865469 New Member

Aug 27, 2010
    How did you get them to give you the incredible? Did you pay more? I just had mine fall out of the holder on my motorcycle last night. Screen is toast. I filled the claim last night.

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Well first I had to call them on the phone the next morning. The rep gave me the option of whatever phone was listed on the claim when you get to the end. I simply told him that that would be a downgrade and an indefinate wait time would be unacceptable. I said I need a phone for my business and that Asuion's sales literature emphasizes next day delivery on replacements. He then rattled off a list of other phones I could have and as best I could tell they were all downgrades. He basically said I can wait for the Droid1 (maybe 7-10 days). I asked for a supervisor. Finally I was connected to someone in another department (woman) who told me the exact same story. I told her that the rep at Verizon told me that Assurion had on occasion replaced the Droid with an Incredible. That was actually true. The Assurion lady would not budge. I told her the same story I told the first guy. When she told me I'd have to wait I asked to talk to her supervisor. She mumbled something like OK but he's going to tell you the same thing. Finally I get the supervisor. Again, I am being polite throughout the whole process but saying their solution is not acceptable. I told him all the phones were downgrades and the only thing I might accept would be an Incredible. I told him that when I ran my business I always made sure a customer was either satisfied or MORE than satisfied-even if it cost me some $$ because it always paid off in the end. He said"You would be satisfied with an Incredible?" I said I think so because it's supposed to have a faster processor and a few things so I might trade that for it not having a keyboard. He said we'll get that right to you. That was basically it.
    BTW I still miss my Droid. The Incredible does have a bit more capability and is faster and sleeker. However I'm still on 2.1 where I had forced 2.2 on my Droid. The biggest difference between them so far has been the much higher difficulty level in upgrading the Incredible compared to the Motodroid. I don't think you can force update to 2.2 without rooting. And if it can be done you might not ever be able to root. I don't know. It was much easier to understand the process for the Motodroid.It can all be done but I find the whole process to be waaaay more confusing and complicated than the good ole Droid. Once I get it rooted and install 2.2 I think I'll get more attached to it.:eek:

6. smacky

Jan 11, 2010
    2.2 started rolling out the other day for the DInc too, so... You won't be without for long.

7. Bobo

Bobo Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Yup. I couldn't wait. Just installed it by brute force. LOL It is a nice improvement. I might start to get attached. Good luck with your insurance claim.