1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Droid Maxx 4.4 Kit Kat Bugs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kmwhiten, Dec 20, 2013.

1. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands

Well, my alarms stopped working and bluetooth connectivity is next to impossible. Dreading doing an fdr. Ugh.

Advertisement

2. Did you do a Factory Data Reset after upgrading to Kit Kat? If not then it is overdue. If you did ...

Did you try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them)? If the problems stop the cause was an app that you added.

... Thom

330D likes this.
  3. 330D

I've never done an fdr. Not on any device that I've owned save for when flashing roms back when I was into that. I have never had an issue before this update. Hence the dread.

4. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I did an FDR after the 4.4 update a month ago. I was back up and running within a couple of hours. It wasn't all that bad. I think the key thing is to backup what can be backed up.

I had a thread about what I do to backup here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-maxx/814155-factory-reset-after-kitkat-update.html

It's mostly backing up storage folders; storage gets cleared with the FDR. I talk about using Dropsync to back them up to Dropbox but there is no reason why wouldn't just copy everything to a PC and then copy back after the FDR. I do it the way that I do for disaster recovery reasons - I want to have things backed up when I can't plan for an FDR, or if I lose my phone, or if I have to FDR when I am away from home, for whatever reason.

For me the biggest pain in the neck is going through all of the settings to get things the way that I want, and also going through GMail app settings to get notifications and their sounds all set up. Google really need to do the backup and restore of Android better. I'd rather they work on that for the "L" version of Android than anything else.

330D likes this.
  5. I strongly recommend that you do a Factory Data Reset after every major system upgrade. Plan on doing it when it is least inconvenient and then do it.

For your immediate problems ...

Clear the Data Cache Partition that contains all temporary files.

I don't use Bluetooth ... I've read a lot of messages that always ended with a solution of re-pairing your connection and it seemed to solve the problem. If you have 19 devices ... re-pair all 10 connections.

For the loss of alarms ... that could be an app conflict. You could try running in Safe Mode. The results would not be absolute but if the problem stopped in Safe Mode it would be a strong indication that it is caused by an app that you added.

If you still have the problems ... do a Factory Data Reset.
    If you don't have the problems ... do a Factory Data Reset ... but not with your back to the wall.

... Thom

6. 330D

I'm going to try a couple things tonight before I bite the bullet. Fwiw, I use timely for alarms. It works if I set it for 5 minutes from now, just not over night. Weird.

7. 330D

Ok, here's another issue... Why won't this thing connect to my pc? I can't transfer my photos? Lame. I don't have unlimited Internet. I can't do everything I want in the cloud. I'm actually really upset with this non - connectivity.

8. With the USB connected pull down the notification display. You want to connect as a media device.

In My Computer there will be an item at the bottom of the list. Double-click on it.

... Thom

330D likes this.
  9. 330D

Doesn't work, Thom. This ain't my first rodeo. ;-)

This is the first Android phone I've had that wasn't rooted and rom'd. I know my way around, except that this one won't connect to my pc. I can find the dcim folder, but it's blank.
    <edit>

I got it. My drivers were jacked.

10. 330D

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up doing a reset. It always seems worse than it is in reality... There are a few things I haven't set up yet, but it's nearly back to normal. :thumbup::beer::D

Bluetooth is working and it woke me up this morning, so there's that...

11. 330D

Think I've got a lemon after the update... Bluetooth and my alarm stopped working again last night. What is this safe mode you speak of Thom? Looked all over in the settings and I couldn't find it. Next step is a call to Verizon for a new phone...

12. Safe Mode ...

with it powered on hit the power button
    When menu comes up long press on Power Off
    when next menu comes up press OK

It will reboot into Safe Mode ... marked in the lower left corner of screen. All apps that you added will be disabled and not uninstalled. If the problems stop the cause is an app that you added.

A normal power off/power on will re-boot you back to normal.

... Thom

Scotts Droid and 330D like this.
  13. 330D

Right on. Will try.

14. 330D

Ugh. Must be an app. Works in safe mode. What a pain.

15. Great ... so now you know where the problem is ... all you have to do is find which one.

... Thom

330D likes this.
  16. doogald

Generally, I think the easiest thing to do is to disable apps about 5 at a time (the ones that you've downloaded rather than the one's preinstalled on the phone.) If the problem occurs again, it wasn't one of those 5, so you can reenable them and then go on to your next 5. Obviously this is easier if you start with your least important apps first...

Apps can be disabled at settings->apps, find them in the downloaded list and tap them, and there should be a "disable" checkbox. You could also uninstall them, but disabling sounds better - when you uninstall, you lose your data and settings.

Do this not in safe mode, in case that wasn't obvious...

330D likes this.
  17. 330D

Yeah... I have an idea actually. I've been enjoying listening to music, so I'm leaving it in safe mode until I have a minute to devote to it. I've been a beta tester for a newish social networking app that works with music. I won't name it just in case I'm wrong, but I'm going to start there.

18. 330D

So apparently it's just broken. They are going to send me a new phone.

19. 330D

Must be the update. The replacement is screwed too. This is bunk.

20. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

Well, 4.4.2 seems to be around the corner, I hope! I'm really hoping it addresses some of these issues.

21. 330D

Yeah. I saw that. Hoping it gets pushed soon. I'm going to rattle Verizon over this one. Hopefully they'll credit me something. I've used 2 gb of data setting up this phone and the old one after the debacle.

22. LizMac

LizMac Android Enthusiast

Yikes. Hope it works out. I went through this with my last phone (Droid Razr HD) and Verizon was not very helpful when I complained about my new/refurb phone replacement.

I'm happy now though. Hope you get there!

23. frodub

frodub Well-Known Member

Just noticed this over the past few days, but has anyone noticed an increase in wifi using batter life? I never noticed it before, but it's showing up as 10+% some days, even when I have it completely disabled.

Also, is there was way to clear the cache for wifi and it's settings? I've done soft resets and just turned the phone off in general, but it always seems to come back with a vengeance now.

24. doogald

Yes, there seems to be a bug in KitKat that holds the WiFi radio on even if you turn it off. I'd just leave it on and see if you see any difference in battery usage.

25. frodub

frodub Well-Known Member

I definitely think it works better if I don't turn it off. I just noticed something in advanced settings, that I don't know if it was there before.. "Scanning always available"

Is that new to KitKat or did I just never notice that before? Sounds like it could be a slight battery thief with the line "apps scan for networks, even when Wi-Fi is off"

Motorola Droid Maxx Forum

The Motorola Droid Maxx release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 3500mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews